PDA

View Full Version : translation

Karen Norwillo
23-02-17, 04:01
I need help with the translation from a moving-out record of an ancestor. Erik Hansson Eklöf moved from Kerlax, Maxmo 6.5.1795. Says Öförlofw u.karl Erik Hansson Eklöf to Wasa. I know ungkarl means bachelor or unmarried man, but what does the word before that mean? Help, please.
Karen

Kuhlberg
23-02-17, 08:16
I need help with the translation from a moving-out record of an ancestor. Erik Hansson Eklöf moved from Kerlax, Maxmo 6.5.1795. Says Öförlofw u.karl Erik Hansson Eklöf to Wasa. I know ungkarl means bachelor or unmarried man, but what does the word before that mean? Help, please.
Karen

Hello Karen!

'oförlovad' = not engaged [to be married]. 'oförlofvad' is an older spelling variant of the same word.

Actually, the date was 6.5.1798!

Erik Hans-Henriksson Eklöf b. 26.3.1775 was the elder brother of Johan Hans-Henriksson Eklöf b. 23.1.1783 who is an ancestor of mine, which means that we are distant relatives too! Very nice.

I knew from before that Erik moved to Vasa in 1795. He stayed there to beginning of 1798, when he returned to Maxmo only to stay there for a few months. In May 1798 he moved back to Vasa, but after that he has been lost to me... I have never been able to locate him. Please tell me where you have found him!

Göran

Karen Norwillo
23-02-17, 16:25
Göran,
Unfortunately, I haven't found him yet. Yes, this is my ancestry also. My eyes wandered when I entered that year. I had both moves and mistakenly entered the wrong year. I'll keep looking. My line goes through Maria who married a Josskarhu. This is my maternal grandmother's line.
Thank you for the translation.
Karen

Karen Norwillo
23-02-17, 16:47
Göran,
Clarification, when they say Wasa, which Wasa do they mean? There are Wasa villages in many areas. I've seen 11 on HisKi and I was just up to K.
Karen

Kuhlberg
23-02-17, 18:11
Göran,
Clarification, when they say Wasa, which Wasa do they mean? There are Wasa villages in many areas. I've seen 11 on HisKi and I was just up to K.
Karen

The record is here: http://digi.narc.fi/digi/view.ka?kuid=5406465

I don´t think it has ever occurred to my mind that it would to some other place than the nearby town of Vasa. I got to look closer into 'Vasa' on HisKi!

Göran