PDA

View Full Version : Anders Andersson Kivinen t Kivistö

Karen Norwillo
01-04-17, 18:27
I am looking for the date and place of birth for this man. I have a year of 1876, but his "parents" weren't married until 29.10.1879 in Ikaalinen. Father: Anders Ananiasson Kivistö (Arvi Alinger)from Alaskylä, Parkano, mother? Amelia Isaksdotter Kuoppasalmi from Wahojärvi, Ikaalinen. When family emigrated, they settled in Taft, OR and first used Kivinen, then used the surname Alinger. Only one son continued to use Kivinen. I have searched all of Parkano births and Ikaalinen for that year. I thought maybe his mother was different. I lost Ilmari Kivinen's email and he hasn't been on site for awhile. I got the original info from him. Anders Alinger died in Taft 1918.
Any help appreciated.
Karen

BessemerFinn
04-04-17, 16:44
Anders Alinger may have been Julius Anselm Kivistö, born 14.3.1881, Parkano...the 1910 US Census shows Andrew Alingo, age 29, born Finland; parents Arvi and Amalia; emigrated in 1899; all in Morris Precinct, Lincoln County, OR...

BessemerFinn
04-04-17, 17:13
Parkano Communion Book, 1891-1900, Alaskylä, Kivistö

Karen Norwillo
04-04-17, 17:20
Yes, I found that birth yesterday, but I can't figure out why Anders would use a birth date that was before his parent's were married. I found the marriage record for the parents and Anders wasn't a widower. The date of death does match Anders in 1918. I guess Anshelm could be stretched to Anders. The father used Arvi instead of Anders and the son did also at times. Both mother and father were alive when he died; can't figure out why they would allow the wrong date on his memorial. Son was a postmaster in Taft, Oregon in 1912. Thank you so much.
Karen

Karen Norwillo
04-04-17, 21:27
Another question. Another son, Ivar Berndt, according to his birth record in Parkano, found as Ivar Paarti Alinger in US. Any idea what Paarti means? Unfortunately almost all the birth dates for this family are found with 2 dates in US records; usually 10 days off. Births as Kivistö, then Kivinen in MN, then Alinger in OR and WA. Very confusing family.

BessemerFinn
07-04-17, 15:25
How do you know that Anders/Andrew (Kivistö) Alinger used a birth date of 1876? And do you have a death certificate and death date for him? I would think it highly unlikely that Antti and Amalia, born 1857 and 1859 respectively, had a child born in 1876; when their ages would have been 19 and 17. The 1900 US Census shows Andrew Alingo, born Feb 1881, Finland; a coal miner in Wyoming, who emigrated in 1898. The Headstone shown on the Find-A-Grave memorial is much newer than 1918. No way that is the original stone, if one was even erected at the time of Andrew's death. So it could be that whomever had the stone placed on that grave, used the wrong birth year.

About Paarti, that name appears to be connected only with the death of Ivar Alinger. Perhaps at the time, someone provided the wrong information; or the name provided was misconstrued?

Since he was the Postmaster, I thought maybe there would be something in the local paper about his death. But all that I could find was a notice concerning the appointed administrator of his estate, dated and first published on 28.6.1918, in the Lincoln County Leader (Toledo, OR).

BessemerFinn
07-04-17, 15:44
This was published in the Lincoln County Leader, dated Friday, April 19, 1918; citing a death date of April 11, 1918.

Karen Norwillo
07-04-17, 16:01
There's a monument to him giving the birth year as 1876. It would appear that date was wrong. Still don't quite understand why family didn't provide a correct one when parents and siblings were alive. Thank you for the newspaper obit. Father Anders born 1857, mother 1859, marriage Oct 1879. He was over 21, she was just shy of 20. Here's the monument with dates for son.

BessemerFinn
07-04-17, 17:25
The headstone/monument showing a birth year of 1876 for Andrew Alinger, looks fairly new...and may have been erected within the last few years...long after Andrew's parents and siblings had died...whomever placed that headstone/monument at the grave site probably had faulty information...perhaps you should contact the person who created the memorial on Find-A-Grave...Andrew Alinger was the brother of her grandfather...

Karen Norwillo
08-04-17, 17:42
Another question concerning this family. Two of the sons stayed in Minnesota and used the name Kivinen. Willhard or Villehard used William. I found all his family in Carsonville and Osage, Becker, MN. Question is about his wife Lizzie, birth 18 Jul 1885 and died 28 Apr 1973. Her surname on several of the children's birth is given as Ohukarvia or Anderson. I can find nowhere that name Ohukarvia. I suspect it's spelling, but I've tried several variations without luck. Any thoughts?

Karen Norwillo
08-04-17, 18:49
Found another spelling as Ohukainen.

BessemerFinn
08-04-17, 18:56
There was Lisa Stina Ohukainen, born 19.7.1885, Oulainen; parents Matts Andersson Kantola, born 6.3.1852; and Amanda Liisa Aaronsdr, born 21.12.1849...Institute of Migration shows her going to Menahga, MN in 1901, with mother Amanda, born 1849...

BessemerFinn
08-04-17, 19:02
Lisa Stina, born 19.7.1885, Oulainen

Oulainen Communion Book, 1891-1900

Oulainen Preconfirmation Records, 1891-1900

Karen Norwillo
08-04-17, 22:53
Bless you, you found her. When the members of the Kivistö family emigrated, that was their destination. I saw that family in Kempele and a notation that they went to Oulu, but I don't have access to the later records. I suspected that Lisa (Lizzie) was born there. It sure makes things interesting when families change names several times. Again, thank you.

BessemerFinn
10-04-17, 04:20
glad to help, Karen...let me know if you need anything from the later records...