PDA

View Full Version : Norwegian research

June Pelo
23-03-04, 21:56
I have a request from an elderly man asking if I can find anything about his father who was born in Norway (Lillehammar?) in the 1800s. I have no experience with research in Norway but dear Alicia Marshall was able to find the following census record in Norway which may be Harold Wang's father. Could anyone advise how to go about finding anything more about Petter G. Vangen, b. 1883, indicated with a * (below)? Harold said his father was a shoemaker and that he came to the US about in the late 1800s.

Paul L. Vangen hf g Gaardbruger s 1826 Søndre Fron Krs
Beret O. Vangen hm g Gaardbrugerkone 1831 Ringebu
Gunda P. Vangen d ug Husgjerningen 1877 Søndre Fron Krs
Petter G. Vangen fl ug Skomagerdreng 1883 Søndre Fron Krs *
Bergitte Tomasdatter fl ug Barn 1889 N Fron
Gunda Tomasdatter fl ug Barn 1891 N Fron
Thea Tomasdatter fl ug Barn 1896 Søndre Fron Krs
Census year: 1900
Municipality: Trondheim
Municipality number: 1601
Street: Udsigten 1
Number of persons in this domicile: 5.

Alicia found a Peder Andreas Wang, b. 18 Mar 1884 in Stavanger who sailed in 1904 from Southampton but the birth date is not the same as Petter G. Vangen.

June

Hasse
23-03-04, 22:51
June,

I posted the question to one of the main lists in Norway.

The question and possible replies can be seen online at this address (http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebDebatt.exe?slag=listinnlegg&debatt=brukar&temanr=20773&sok=&startnr=&antall=&spraak=)

granskare
24-03-04, 04:53
I have seen people from Norway on membership lists so if I knew the town in USA to which they immigrated, I could check and see if there is anything of value. At least one could verify something found elsewhere.

Chuck

June Pelo
24-03-04, 23:12
Chuck,

Peter G. Wang was born 23 Sep 1883 in Norway according to SSDI, d. May 1962, Rhinelander, WI. He emigrated ca 1904-5 and lived in Oneida in 1910, in Three Lakes, and in Rhinelander in the 1920s-30s.

Thanks for your offer of help.

June

Hasse
24-03-04, 23:28
One answer has been posted on the norwegian site - see link in previous message.

Peter Gulbrands. Vangen, unmarried male from "S. Fron" (Søndre Fron), shoemaker, 21 years of age, from Oslo April21th, 1905 to Boston with the ship Montebello.

This info behind the second link (=lenke) in the answer.

kpaavola
24-03-04, 23:46
Hi June,
I found the Peter G. Wang you referred to in the 1910 census living in Three Lakes Town, Oneida County, Wisconsin. It lists him as being married less than 1 year and wife's name is Salma. She was born in Michigan but of Swedish parents. His year of immigration is listed as 1906.

Peter's listed occupation is shoemaker of hand made shoes. The people on the neighboring lines of the census were also shoemakers. A few of them were also from Norway.

His naturalization status is listed as Pending.

Not sure any of this helps but it seems to coincide with the above details. I can easily get the image if there is interest.

June Pelo
24-03-04, 23:51
Hasse,

Yes, I saw it and I'll contact Harold Wang. He's 92 years old and will be so happy to get this information. I assume Gulbrands. means Gulbrandsson? Thank you for posting on the Norwegian site for me.

June

June Pelo
25-03-04, 00:00
Kevin,

This is like Christmas. Yes, I think that is THE Peter because his wife was Selma, born in Ludington, MI. Yes, it would be nice to get the image and I could send it to Harold's daughter who sent me her e-mail address. Would you believe they want to give me $100 for finding this bit of info.! Of course, I don't accept money for research. They are so excited.. I can find data on his wife Selma's family because she was a Swede Finn from Finland..

Thanks.

June

kpaavola
25-03-04, 00:36
June,
The census image is actually on 2 pages. Peter is on the last line of one page and Selma is on the top of the next page. Sometimes these images are rather large in file size and may not necessarily come through so easily on dial up. I'll be happy to email them to you and try to reduce the size but maintain the image quality or I can print them out and pop them in the mail to you tomorrow. Which would you prefer?

June Pelo
25-03-04, 01:47
Kevin,

Maybe it would be best if you could print them and mail them to me. Do you have my address?

Thanks,

June

kpaavola
25-03-04, 02:14
I probably do somewhere but just email it to me and I'll be happy to mail them out tomorrow.

kpaavola
25-03-04, 03:13
Hi June,
I'm printing off the images for you now. I found the 1910, 1920 & 1930 census images so I'll be sending them to you.

In the 1920 & 1930 census, it does list Peter's immigration year as 1905. Oddly, in 1930, Peter's naturalization status is still listed as PA which means pending. 20 years pending ???

In 1930, Peter is list as a cobbler owning his own business.

They should be there in a day or two. :)

June Pelo
25-03-04, 03:29
Thanks, Kevin. As for the naturalization, I don't know. I'll have to ask Harold if he knows if his father became naturalized.

June

kpaavola
25-03-04, 03:32
The reason I mention it is naturalizations that took place after 1906 contain a wealth of genealogical information compared to those prior to 1906. Post 1906 the forms were standardized and much more information was requested.

He may be interested in obtaining the naturalization papers just to have them. Since you were able to obtain info on him in Norway, it may not be needed.

I ordered my great grandparents naturalization papers just out of curiosity. Didn't contain much data but was interesting to see the document and their signatures ("X")! :)

granskare
25-03-04, 20:54
Nobody named Vange, Wang, or Tomasdotter as a member, on the marriage list or the funerals list.

There were a few Norwegian people there, 2 names just for the record.

Adriana Olson f. Pedersdotter and
Haakon Joakim Paulsen

However, I did find about 70 Swedish-Finn members so I took all of the family info for sfhs so something came of that visit:)

Chuck

June Pelo
25-03-04, 21:43
Chuck,

Thanks for checking.

June

syrene
26-03-04, 05:50
Good going!
That can be entered into the Delphi pages for future researchers. Way to go!
Syrene

granskare
26-03-04, 23:41
well, almost. I have put it online for him to download and examine and then put it into delphi dbase and finally to post it somewhere.

Chuck

Hasse
27-03-04, 01:29
Originally posted by granskare
well, almost. I have put it online for him to download and examine and then put it into delphi dbase and finally to post it somewhere.

Chuck

Chuck's material is online at this link (http://sfhs.eget.net/wikigranskare.html) - several files.