PDA

View Full Version : Laiti/Peltopera in Lappi and Minnesota

Peltopera52
26-06-17, 19:20
Looking for some info on Mike and Charles Laiti's ancestors. Per US Census records, it appears Mike was born around 1853, and came to the US from Finland in 1880. He lived in Duluth, MN. Charles was born around 1850 and came over in 1882.

My great-great-grandfather was named Johan Peltoperä. His father was Matti, and he had several last names associated with him-- Peltoniemi, Peltoperä, Helisten, Mäkelä, and Laiti. They came from Kemijarvi, Rovaniemi, and Tervola across a few generations.

Johan had brothers named Mikko and Kaarlo. According to church records, Mikko was born in 1852 left for the United States in 1880, and Kaarlo was born in 1850 in 1882. Those who stayed in Finland had the surnames of Peltoperä but until I found this, I haven't been able to find any information on Mikko and Kaarlo.

Basically, I am hoping to possibly find confirmation on Mikko and Kaarlo Peltoperä being Mike and Charles Laiti. Is there anyone here who is familiar with that family? I feel like the dates and names line up uncannily well, but at the same time, it could be just a strange coincidence.

Thanks for any help that anyone may be able to provide!

Peltopera52
15-08-18, 19:44
Bumping this up if someone can help me. A DNA test connected me to a few Minnesota Laitis, but I'd like to try to find further confirmation if possible.

DaveCarlson
08-09-18, 16:48
Bumping this up if someone can help me. A DNA test connected me to a few Minnesota Laitis, but I'd like to try to find further confirmation if possible.

The Migration Institute in Turku/ Åbo passenger records database records an 18 year old Edita Peltoperä who left Helsinki/Helsingfors 26 Feb 1913 for Duluth, MN aboard the Arcturus and by the White Star Line to the United States. A bit of a long shot, but she might be related to the Minnesotans. Also, a whole bunch of Peltoperäs in 1909 set out for Hancock, MI.

There may not be any shipping manifests or passenger lists from the 1880s. Those DNA connections to the Laitis should turn up some other leads?

Peltopera52
30-01-19, 00:36
The 1909 Peltoperas are mine-- my grandfather, three of his siblings, and my great-grandmother. My great-grandfather came over in 1905.

I'll have to look into Edita a bit and see what I can find.

I've contacted a few of the DNA connections, but none of them know anything about Mike Laiti before his American arrival.