PDA

View Full Version : Lappfjärders in America

granskare
24-03-04, 18:28
http://delphi.eget.net/index.php?Lappfj%E4rders%20in%20Gardner%2C%20MA

From time to time I will revisit this listing and add data that is important to people.
With thanks to Kaj for proofreading and any mistakes are mine plus I try to keep to the spelling of the church secretary whenever possible.

Chuck

syrene
26-03-04, 04:46
Dear Chuck,
Now if only we could think of a good name for the spot! Something with Swedish Finnishness and historyness and networkingness. I am so far stumped but still hopeful. Somehow the Greek words don't click for me.
Syrene

granskare
26-03-04, 05:11
Yeah, that's it, Turkish instead of Greek. I don't have a Greek keyboard so can't write what I can recall. But Kaj will probably make out what is written phonetically here:

en arkay ain ho logos
kaj ho logos
pros ton theon

And the title of this post is, with apologies to Turkish grammarians:

"Hello Lappfjärders in America"

:D

Kaj Granlund
26-03-04, 17:59
Obviously Chuck is trying to test me
:)
But I don't think I will translate that myself cause it is already translated in John 1:1 :D
Your job is great.

granskare
26-03-04, 19:44
Hej Kaj,
It would only have been my bad phonetic sentence that would have made it difficult but luckily it worked out.
That's the very first piece of Greek that I learned at Augustana. I had to come up with a 4 semester hour course and a friend who was going to seminary after getting his B.A. was taking the class so I thought, why not? So I went also.
I think I remember that verse because we were to recite it to the professor. So I worked on it so that I could rattle it off as if it were English. After I did that successfully, he asked if I'd get been in Greece and I replied, truthfully, that yes, I had been there. I didn't tell him that it was just overnite - I got there on a C119 from Karamursel, Turkey and was waiting for a C130 military airplane to take me to France and at the base in France, I had my first glass of whole milk after 2 years of powdered milk. I thought it was a glass of cream:)
Chuck

Kaj Granlund
26-03-04, 21:13
Don't talk about professors and greek;)
As I had my New Testament knowledge exam, my professor took the greek New Testament. Just put his fingers anywhere and opened it From that he started to ask me questions, he even read some passages in greek and asked if I knew the places. I don't know how I was able to sit that nervous I was. But he finnished with: Yes, I see You know this. What a relief. He could sometimes ask questions totally out of importance. But in spite of that he was really interesting and good.
As I walked out I remeber I felt that I had done all that was needed for that Year, which was not true.

granskare
26-03-04, 22:38
So Kaj, I think you knew your NT if you could do that with Greek for that prof:)

My course certainly was easier than yours and the prof I had was an ex-pastor by the name of Harry S.B. Johnson and really amazing I can remember that. Maybe it was because I happened across an old Greek textbook in a bookstore with his name in it as the student owner:)

I gave it to my classmate friend, the now retired pastor, and he found it amusing to have our old prof's book from his college days.

I only did one semester of Greek. The second semester was using the Anabasis so I missed out on something there:)
Chuck