PDA

View Full Version : Meaning of + in birth records

Karen Norwillo
29-01-18, 16:40
Does the + sign in this and some birth records mean the child died at birth? I find no corresponding record of death for the child.
I'm having a problem with this particular family line thanks to all the same names used. Johan Abrahamsson Rijf had these 2 children, Johan Johansson born 15.9.1768 and Maria Johansdotter 21.3.1767. A Family Tree on Ancestry has them married which of course is wrong. I found a marriage in Esse 22.11.1789 for a Johan Johansson Tarwon and a Maria Johansdotter Rif. They had 1 child in Esse, the image in question, and many more on the Rijf farm in Lepplax, Pedersöre (11 total) Am I connecting the correct Maria and Johan? I didn't find a marriage for Maria's brother Johan.
Any help appreciated.
Karen

Anteroinen
29-01-18, 17:48
Typically the cross means that the child died young, quite soon after birth. So soon, in any case, that the priest bothered to pick up the register of births and make a note of it. Mind you this doesn't necessarily mean the next day. I've come across cases where this was done to four-year-olds who died. It depends entirely on the priest and how much they happened to care on a particular day.

Jaska Sarell
29-01-18, 18:10
Johan Johansson died on 23.3.1790 (age 2 weeks 2 days) according to HisKi.
HisKi has misplaced the origins of man and wife. Original record tells she's from Tarvonen: http://digi.narc.fi/digi/view.ka?kuid=22550530
At Rif http://digi.narc.fi/digi/view.ka?kuid=9585444 her birthday is shown as 16.8.1768 and she is thus daughter of Johan Hansson Tarvonen and Anna Johansdotter Hatt.

I had placed the son in incorrect family (thought about an error in mother's patronymic), and didn't have the right one at all.
Thanks to you for pointing to the correct direction!

:) Jaska

Karen Norwillo
29-01-18, 20:46
Jaska,
As usual you came through for me. The only thing I was sure of is Johan and Maria as given on that Ancestry tree was not correct. It now makes sense. Thank you
Karen

Jaska Sarell
30-01-18, 02:14
Karen,
I decided to look at this family and got the attached results. Altogether 11 children, four marriages and spouses. I didn't go to grandchildren.
Any comments?

:) Jaska

Karen Norwillo
30-01-18, 16:26
Jaska,
I found all but Maria Lisa to Hans Johansson Kanckos. Looks like we have many ties to this Rif family. I had the other 3 marriages. With the winter weather, I've been spending hours updating and adding to my family tree. I've been saving it all on Ancestry. My Roots Magic went kaput. I lost everything on it. Luckily after I had uploaded it to Ancestry. Do you have an Ancestry subscription? If not, I will send you an invitation to view "My Swede-Finn Roots"
Karen