PDA

View Full Version : Birth Records

Eric Sakara
09-02-18, 03:34
I am planning a trip to Finland this coming summer. I want to find my father's birth record. He was born in Rouvesi. His father changed the family name after my father was born. I want to find his name at birth.

Is it possible to access these records from Helsinki or do I have to travel to Rouvesi? Where would I go in person to get the information (address)?

Thanks
Eric

Anteroinen
09-02-18, 10:48
This depends a lot on when your father was born. If he was born a Lutheran in the 20th century then Ruovesi (note the spelling) parish would have those records, but in most cases they will be reluctant to let you see the physical copy. You might be able to get a certificate from the parish office, but such a thing could be ordered via the Internet without going to Ruovesi parish itself.

Here is the form for ordering one: https://lomakkeet.evl.fi/ruoveden-seurakunta/virkatodistus

It is in Finnish, however, and doesn't even give an opportunity to order the thing in English. I think you'd have more luck e-mailing Merja Kortesmaa, the secretary of the parish, and explaining your situation. See contact details here:

http://www.ruovedenseurakunta.fi/yhteystiedot

Do note that ordering a genealogical certificate from the parish is not exactly cheap: they charge €30 for the thing, plus €15 for every beginning half hour of research.

Eric Sakara
10-02-18, 05:40
Thanks for those pointers. My Finnish isn't very good but my sister-in-law can help me draft a letter.

My father was born in 1919. I know family names became required about 1921. The only name I have for my grandfather is Johannes Annapoikka. In about 1925 he bought a farm called Sakara and that became our family name.

I'll check out those sites when I can get together with my brother and his wife.

Thanks
Eric

Anteroinen
10-02-18, 09:09
That makes sense. Johannes Annanpoika means "John the son of Anna", which is not really a surname per se, just a matronym, and the law in 1921 required you to have an actual surname. In addition having surname that screamed "illegitimate child" was not usually preferred by anyone. These people had most typically picked and used surnames a long time ago.