PDA

View Full Version : Search Help: Johan Grönholm b. 1771

jtait85
20-08-18, 04:56
Hello, all!

I hope that I am posting this in the correct place. My apologies if I'm mistaken - I'm new here :)

I am looking to find my great-great-great-great grandfather Johan Grönholm, born 1771 in Ekenas.

My family has always believed our Granholm/Grönholm line was entirely Swedish, but I recently discovered that my great-great-great-great grandfather, Johan Grönholm, was born in Finland. The problem is I can only find record of him living as an adult in Sweden and nothing about his birth/childhood. I am having a great deal of difficulty finding records in Finland to support the other information I have on him or to go further back in the ancestry.

Here are the records I do have for him and the information they provided:

- Household Examination in Mariefred, page 234, 1803-1806, born in Finland 1771, came from "Kiop"? (someone suggested this could be Köping), married 1805, moved to Strängnäs
- Marriage record, married to Hedvig Catharina Wiberg on 9 Oct 1805 in Mariefred
- Household Examination in Stragnas, page 161, 1805-1807, born in "Finnland" 1771 came from Mariefred
- Household Examination in Stragnas, page 198, 1807-1811, born in 1771
- Household Examination in Mariefred, page 54, 1811-1816, born in Finland 1771 came from Strägnäs
- Household Examination in Mariefred, page 40, 1818-1821, born in Finland 1771
- Household Examination in Mariefred, page 41, 1822-1826, born in 1771
- Household Examination in Mariefred, page 43, 1827-1830, born in Finland 1771, died 1830
- Death record, May 1830 in Mariefred, died of a "severe cold", 49 years, which would make his birth 1781, but the record says he was born 1771 in Ekenas Stad, Nyland. It also says something after Ekenas Stad that looks like "orly" but I can't make it out.

So, the earliest I have him so far is 1803 in Mariefred, Sweden. I cannot find a definitive record for him in Finland - no birth record, no household examination, no record of him leaving Finland or arriving in Sweden.

There is one birth record for a "Johan Fredrich" born in Ekenas (Tammisaari) in 1771. The birth date is 6 September 1771 and the parents are Daniel Ekström and Margaretha Blomster. I know that "Grönholm" is often an ornamental name but I have no other evidence to support that these are his parents. Daniel Ekström is listed as a "handelsman," not a tanner, and on the 1774-1785 Household Examination Johan Fredrich was no longer listed with the family, which makes me think the child died and that this couldn't be my relative.

I looked through the Household Examinations for Köpings landsförsamling and stadsförsamling for Johan Grönholm but nothing stood out to me.

Any help anyone could give would be much appreciated.
Thanks!!
Jenna

Looking for:
Name: Johan Grönholm
Birth Year: 1771
Birth Place: Ekenas/Tammisaari

June Pelo
21-08-18, 22:10
Jenna,
Check your private messages..

DaveCarlson
27-08-18, 15:32
In addition to the 6 Sep 1771 Johan Fredrich Danielsson born to Daniel Ekström and Margaretha Blomster, the birth records for 1771 also show:

19 Oct 1771 Carl Johan born to "Fourier"/Quartermaster Abraham Ahlbld and Maja Lisa Westerlings

10 November 1771 Johannes Andersson born to Anders Nypers or Nyspers and Lisa Hansdotter Elgö Norrgård

10 Dec 1771 Anders Johan born to siöman/sailor Hans Henriksson and Greta Joansdotter

20 Dec 1771 Anders Johan born to (I can't make out the profession...) Eric Boström and Ingeborg Uhr

When time permits, we might divvy up the communion books and see if and when the above "Johans" left the district? Good luck!

jtait85
11-09-18, 00:02
Dave,

thanks so much for your response. Following some of June's advice, I joined a Facebook group that was able to help me to identify Johan in the Finnish records. On the birth records you showed above, he is "Johannes Andersson," although I think the translation for the father's last name ended up being Nystedt. I was so excited to be able to figure this out...of course it created the new conundrum of being able to go back even further in the records with Johan's parents. I wasn't able to find a birth record for Elisabetha with the year listed for her birth in the Household Examinations, and there are a few Anders for his year, but the records are a bit messy and the last name "Nystedt" is likely ornamental and not easy to work with.

Thanks again for your input, I truly appreciate it.
Best,
Jenna

DaveCarlson
11-09-18, 14:28
http://hiski.genealogia.fi/hiski?en+t813983

Anders Nystedt and Lisa [Elisabeth] Hansdotter had a son Johannes born 10.11.1771 and Christened 12.11.1771 at Norrgård farm in Elgö.

A little brother, Alexander, came on the scene 11.8.1774:
http://hiski.genealogia.fi/hiski?en+t814155

I think Lisa Hansdotter died not long after, but Anders Nystedt remarried a Maria/Maja Mattsdotter and had a son Anders and a daughter Maja Lisa in 1778 and 1784 while he was a tenant farmer at Norrgård.

DaveCarlson
11-09-18, 14:30
At Tammisaari-Ekenäs the field hand Anders Nystedt married farmer's daughter Lisa Hansdotter at Norrgård in Elgö 27 Dec 1770:

http://hiski.genealogia.fi/hiski?en+t7989

DaveCarlson
11-09-18, 14:51
Anders Nystedt and his family appear on the communion book, near the bottom of the page at
Tammisaari > Communion Book, 1774-1785 > 126: Elgö Norrg. (Original page number is 129).

Anders Nystedt born 1733
deceased wife Lisa Hansdotter born 1756 (she must surely have been his second wife?) died 25 Oct 1775.
* [Your Johan] Johan Andersson born 10.11.1771
Alexander Andersson born 11.8.1774
Anders' wife Maria Mattsdotter
Anders Andersson born 21.10.1778

It would appear that Lisa Hansdotter's parents were the farmer Hans Simonsson Norrgård (*20.4.1719--†7.3.1777) and Caisa (Catharina/Carin) Isaacsdotter (*1716).

jtait85
26-09-18, 18:33
Thanks so much for this information, Dave!

I am curious why you think that Lisa's parents are Hans Simonsson (Norrgård is the farm name, right?—I think it actually translates to "North farm" or something similar—would this be considered Hans's last name as well?) and Caisa Isaacsdotter.

Is it simply because Anders and Lisa were living on the farm at this time (and because Lisa "Hansdotter" clearly had a father named Hans)? Or is there another clue to indicate these were Lisa's parents. I'm just wondering if that was the custom at the time—I don't know enough about the culture/time period to know the typical relationship between landowners and farm hands.

I did a search for Hans and Caisa in HisKi and all the other children mentioned at the top of the confirmation records page (Johan/Johannes, Israel, Maja/Maria, Beata, and Anna) had birth records listed, but I didn't find one for Elisabetha/Lisa. It looks like all the other children were born in Hermansö.

Let me know what you think :)
Best,
Jenna

DaveCarlson
28-09-18, 15:01
At Tammisaari-Ekenäs the field hand Anders Nystedt married farmer's daughter Lisa Hansdotter at Norrgård in Elgö 27 Dec 1770:

http://hiski.genealogia.fi/hiski?en+t7989

The original, viewable at SSHY/ Finland Family History Association church book database (subscription) says merely:

Tammisaari > Births and Marriages, 1762-1796 > 206: 1771
Dec. 27 field hand Anders Nystedt married farmer's daughter Elisabetha Hansdr. at Elgö Norrgård.

DaveCarlson
28-09-18, 15:09
Thanks so much for this information, Dave!

I am curious why you think that Lisa's parents are Hans Simonsson (Norrgård is the farm name, right?—I think it actually translates to "North farm" or something similar—would this be considered Hans's last name as well?) and Caisa Isaacsdotter.

Is it simply because Anders and Lisa were living on the farm at this time (and because Lisa "Hansdotter" clearly had a father named Hans)? Or is there another clue to indicate these were Lisa's parents. I'm just wondering if that was the custom at the time—I don't know enough about the culture/time period to know the typical relationship between landowners and farm hands.

Hans Simonsson appears first in the 1745 birth records at Hermansö you've found as a field hand, later a crofter or tenant farmer, and finally a farmer. On the communion book he died while still the "HB" or "husbonde" head of household/ farmer. He was not an installed dependent lodger from poor health or injury. He was not a quasi-retired farmer who had turned the farm over to an adult son. Anders Nystedt is clearly an outsider, while Lisa has the patronymic of the householder farmer at the homestead.

I did a search for Hans and Caisa in HisKi and all the other children mentioned at the top of the confirmation records page (Johan/Johannes, Israel, Maja/Maria, Beata, and Anna) had birth records listed, but I didn't find one for Elisabetha/Lisa. It looks like all the other children were born in Hermansö.

Frustratingly, I have not found Elisabetha/Lisa's 1756 birth record. Her death record is similarly lacking in details. At the SSHY/FFHA database
Tammisaari > Death Records, 1765-1813 > 15 it reads merely: October 25th And. Nystets [sic] wife [died] lungsot/ tuberculosis.

Let me know what you think :)
Best,
Jenna

Kind regards,
Dave

I'm hopeful another communion book record will show all of the children of the couple.

June Pelo
28-09-18, 15:35
Jenna, check your private messages.

DaveCarlson
28-09-18, 15:49
So far no luck.
SSHY/FFHA Tammisaari > Communion Book, 1741-1761 > 105.
Original p. 104

Hermansöö Tårparen

Hans Henricsson 1669
Maja Jöransdotter his wife 1685
Ana Jöransdotter 1681

2. (widow?) Caisa Arvidsdr.

Bertill Simonsson 1712
Margaretha Mattsdr. 1679
Hans Bror (brother) 20/4 1720

Hans Simonsson Br. 20/4 1720
Caisa Isacsdotter 1721

Margaretha Mattsdotter

jtait85
30-09-18, 19:24
Thank you for your help, Dave.

I know it's common to have errors in the books, but it looks like the communion book you recently posted (1741-1761, Original p 104) lists Hans as born 20 Apr 1720 and Caisa in 1721, but then in an earlier post you referred to (1774-1785, original p. 129) and it listed Hans's birthdate as 20 Apr 1719 and Caisa birth year as 1716. I don't think the one year discrepancy for Hans is very significant, but what do you think about the 5 year difference for Caisa?

I'm also trying to make sense of the Hans and Bertill living in the widow's house. I'm guessing that Bertill is Hans's older brother (since Hans is listed as "brother" and they share the patronymic "Simonsson"? Would you guess that Margaretha Mattsdotter is their mother, since she was born about 30-40 years earlier than the boys? If so, then who is the widow Caisa Arvidsdotter? Interesting stuff :)

I love the mysteries and detective work involved here but wish I had more knowledge of the records and lifestyle/culture at the time so it was easier for me to figure out where to look next.

Thank you again for time and efforts.
Best,
Jenna