PDA

View Full Version : Bartolomei Devedelazs

CateG
05-01-19, 19:23
I'm trying to find out something...anything really, about Bartolomei Devedelazs (or Devedelacs). He married ond of my ancestors, Sanna-Brita Pensar. They lived in Helsinki and had 3 girls.
I read he was from France but the name doesn't sound french. Also would like to find out where he was buried, I can't get the Genealogia page to work.. Sanna-Brita was born 18 dec 1848 in Pensala, Oravais. Died 1927.

About Bartolomei I have nothing.

EDIT: Just found Bartolomei as Felix and would probably have lived 1818-1878. Still wonder if he was father of Bartolomei....

CateG
05-01-19, 20:39
Wasn't able to edit so:

Felix may have lived 1818-1878 and must be father of Bartolomei?? Because Sanna-Brita had a daughter, Signe Devedelazs, in 1884..

Karen Norwillo
05-01-19, 20:53
Cate,
Found this using clue from Ancestry of a daughter Lydia Kristina born Helsingfors. Bartolomei Davidelas married Sanna Brita 10 Feb 1870. The last rippi I found her at home says she moved to Helsingfors 6 Nov 1869. Bartolomei Felix Davidelas was a soldier. Lydia Kristina (Christina) married a Lindgren. There is also a notation on the rippi in Helsingfors that Sanna moved from Wiborg (Viborg) 29 Aug 1872. I did not find their marriage in Viborg or Helsingfors as yet. I'll keep looking.
Karen

Karen Norwillo
05-01-19, 21:29
Found Signe's birth 7 Apr 1884 in Helsingfors. Shows father Bartholomei was Katholic. This notation was on Lydia's birth, but I couldn't read it. Also found sister Lydia lived in Washington state and came from Canada in 1923 as divorced. See attached images. Bartholomei may have been of Russian ancestry??
Karen

Karen Norwillo
05-01-19, 23:14
Lydia K Develaz married Andrew John (Anders Johan) Lindgren 30 Mar 1907 in Manhattan, NY. Anders Johan was born 1 May 1874 in Sweden and died 13 May 1949 in Everett, WA. Apparently many spellings of Lydia's father's surname. Andrew's naturalization doesn't mention his divorce.
Andrew, Lydia and two small children are buried in Evergreen Cemetery, Everett, WA. A son and daughter died young. Her tombstone says wife even though they divorced. Found on Find-a-Grave.

Karen Norwillo
06-01-19, 02:51
SSHY Helsingfors has Sanna Brita Dividilas pg 3-322 from 1870-1881. Possibly they don't carry husband as he was Catholic in the church books. I don't know if there are Catholic books available for that timeframe.

Karen Norwillo
06-01-19, 21:52
Here's the image. Looks like husband may have been artillery.

Karen Norwillo
06-01-19, 21:54
1871-1880 Communion Register. Looks like husband was artillery.

Karen Norwillo
07-01-19, 02:06
Cate,
Found this about Signe on a manifest of Lydia returning from Finland to Seattle in 1938. Nearest relative from where she had come Signe Lasksovirta, Skeppsredareg 10 F65 Helsingfors. So now you have her married name and that she was still in Helsingfors in 1938.

CateG
07-01-19, 22:05
Thank you so much Karen!
Ok, so this means that Sanna-Brita had 4 children, no one knew about Lydia! Not mfntioned in one single tree on Geni or My heritage or anywhere else! Thd children were Signe, Agatha, Maria, Lydia...
Trying to find if the other girls had children too. I know that Signe had a son, Otso.

Karen Norwillo
09-01-19, 17:27
Cate,
Interesting find on Ancestry. Carl JW Devedelas born c1881 and died 15 Apr 1918 in CA. He has a petition for Naturalization filed May 1916 in CA. Under a different spelling a Karl Devedelasz was admitted to Dreadnought Seamen's Hospital in London 3 Jul 1899 with a leg injury. He was from Helsingfors and a fireman on the Regulus. Another relative?? Such an unusual surname. Do you have DOB for Agatha and Maria?
Karen

CateG
10-01-19, 10:38
Karen, interesting :) No idea yet.. Agatha Alexandra was born 4 febr 1876, d 11 jan 1911. Maria: just know she was born 1871.
In got some information from research made in the 1980's that Sanna-Brita and Bartolomei would have had 6 children..

Karen Norwillo
10-01-19, 17:41
Cate,
Here is birth of Agata Alexandra Dividilas. Did not find Maria in 1871.
Karen

CateG
18-01-19, 10:21
I think Karl was another sibling. Found him in Helsinki.

Anteroinen
18-01-19, 22:29
A correction about Sanna Brita moving: she actually moved into Viipuri from Oravainen in January of 1870, as the ninth person of the year, having been engaged with Mr. Devedelazs.I do not know for sure what the 29.8.1872 refers to. It looks like "Sv. b. t. Wiborg 29/8 1872 inl.".

CateG
03-02-19, 22:57
Would there be some info about felix bartolomei devidelazs since he was a soldier.. I'm wondering where he came from. Can't find the Devidelazs name anywhere. Just 'de Videlas' (mexico)....etc...

Also tried to find dod and children for Maria Devedelazs, married to Ferdinand Sandberg.

CateG
10-02-19, 17:53
I have tried to find out what kind of family name Devedelazs is. I have seen it as Develazs, Devedelacs, Dividilas. In a book I have it says that (Felix) Bartolomei Devedelazs was french. He was an artillery soldier, born 1818. In this thread is found more facts about that I have received from very helpful people, thank you :) I can't find pictures if him or his parents or another family tree with more info. I would also appreciate to know where ge and his wife Sanna Brita are buried.

Anteroinen
11-02-19, 21:41
I would honestly guess Hungarian based on the spelling. Don't know why he was in the Russian army though. What is this book source and what else does it say?

CateG
11-02-19, 21:53
He was married to Sanna Brita Pensar who was sister of "Målar-Petter", painter from Ostrobothnia and the book is about him and his father who also was a painter.
Bartolomei is the man that Sanna Brita is told to have met on the street and they fell in love the same moment. That he was handsome and French. From Helsinki address books I found out that he died either 1907 or 1908, 1907 Sanna Brita is said to be Rouva and in 1908 leskirouva. What's fun is that I also found all their addresses etc :) Some of the houses still there.

Karen Norwillo
12-02-19, 21:28
Cate,
Had a thought. Could it be from the old French de Vidales. Found in Provence then in Barcelona, Spain. Maybe???

CateG
12-02-19, 22:33
yes, I have had the same thougths.. de vidilas, de vedelac etc...it could be possible..I think I just have to skip it..but a photo would have been great =) I´m trying to get a photo of his wife Sanna Brita..
Also trying to find his daughter Maria/Mary Devedelaz, married Ferdinand Sandberg. And where they all are buried. Went through Helsinki cemeteries but no luck there. I found an interesting text about Aggi Lappalainen (Devedelazs), the teatcher, that said that she will be buried in the new lutheran cemetery in Helsinki, this was in 1911. I googled but did not help.. Where is Otto Wilhelm Lappalainen buried? Didn´t find anything..thought there would be something in the newspapers about him.. Still so many questions..

CateG
09-11-20, 23:05
So, a lot has happened! I found one of the family members! She's the same age as me! She knew that Bartolomei came from Poland. Now I know the children, grandchildren etc, of Agatha Devedelazs. She didn't have anything at all about Signe or Mary. I haven't found out anything new either.

CateG
10-11-20, 22:54
I have one last question though...Karl (or Carl) Johan Waldemar Devedelazs, born 1881 in Helsinki, died 15.4.1918 in California. On his gravestone it says CO.D 115 U.S ENGRS. What does that mean? I haven't found any marriage records on him. I think he was a seaman at one point. Would there be anything else on him? He was actually 'wanted' in 1930 by one of his sisters in Finland. Also the other sister Lydia Lindgren who they thought lived in Canada but she lived in WA..

Anteroinen
14-11-20, 11:01
CO.D 115 U.S ENGRS sounds like some sort of military rank/indentifier? Company D 115 United States Engineers?

Karen Norwillo
15-11-20, 18:19
Cate,
Carl John Devedalas indeed was a member of the Company D 115th US Engineers. His US Veterans Administration Masters Index file notes he was a private and listed as Astoria, Oregon.
Probably place of enlistment. Fort Rosencrans National Cemetery in San Diego is a military cemetery.
Attached is application for headstone.

CateG
19-11-20, 00:11
Thank you Karen! I thought it would be something military.

CateG
19-11-20, 00:16
....does it mean he participated in ww1 or just enlisted..? I mean, was he killed in war..

Karen Norwillo
05-12-20, 17:13
It appears he did serve, but his death was not as a result of the war. My husband's great-uncle died from appendicitis while serving.