PDA

View Full Version : Klas Peltotakkunen ( or his America name - Claus Pelto)

suskie
03-07-19, 00:55
Klas is my husband's Great Grandfather. He was born on March 23 1866. A family tree had been done over 20 years ago said his birth place was listed Rautisossa, Finland. So far, it appears to me that Rautisossa doesn't exist so my question is, can someone find the location of his birth.

He was married to Elisabeth Jakobsdr Vainionpää, in the United States on May 21, 1892. She was born in Isokyrö, Finland ,January 17, 1873.

I have found records for Claus Pelto in America but I'm not even sure if his 'Finnish' name is correct.
I appreciate any help you can give.

Thank you,
Sue

Karen Norwillo
03-07-19, 03:40
Sue,
There's a Klas Peltotakkunen born 26 Mar 1866 in Rautio, Finland. It's the only one that seemed possible. When did he emigrate?
Karen

suskie
03-07-19, 21:55
Yes, I am sure this is 'my Klas'. Are the other names his parents and siblings? I found one census record saying he emigrated in 1889. That would fit with him getting married in the USA in 1892.

Karen Norwillo
03-07-19, 23:01
Yes. Mother, father and siblings are shown here. You see several died, dates to far right.
Karen

Karen Norwillo
03-07-19, 23:41
Here's another page from the same year. Looks like Jakob was earlier Isooja and Johanna Jokela. On 1882-1891 image says Klas emigrated to Amerika 2.7.1888.

Karen Norwillo
04-07-19, 05:48
Sue,
Here's the birth of Jakob Andersson Isooja in Rautio births. This shows 17 Jul 1844 instead of 11 Jul. Johanna's also has 12 May 1843 instead of 2 May. Sometimes in transferring info from books the dates get errors. I also found their marriage 19 Feb 1865 in Rautio.
Hope this helps fill in some blanks.
Karen

suskie
04-07-19, 17:01
Thank you so much and yes, you filled in many blanks!

suskie
04-07-19, 18:22
Just a couple more questions. I am trying to learn the 'how to' of finding records. I have been using Hiski as my 'go to' place for birth, marriage, death records, which is probably why I never found your records. I can't find Rautio at Hiski so is there another name it might be called such as those instances where the Finnish and Swedish version of the same place are listed? Also, what site do you go to find records? Again, thank you for everything.

Karen Norwillo
05-07-19, 03:28
Sue,
Hiski is ok for some things, but doesn't have everything. I found no Rautio records there. I have a paid subscription to FFHA, Finland Family History Association, which has many more records. They have Rautio. Membership is very reasonable, 17 EU yearly. Well worth it. You can pay by Paypal with a credit card. Yes some areas are found under either Swedish or Finnish names in the bi-lingual parishes. I usually look on Hiski if I'm not sure. You'll find the site at www.sukuhistoria.fi/sshy/index_eng.htm. It will tell you how to join. Also try digi.narc.fi. You can choose Swedish, Finnish or English for instructions.
Glad to be of help.
Karen

Karen Norwillo
05-07-19, 15:33
Sue,
I'm including this image of Klas wife Elizabeth's family.

suskie
05-07-19, 17:13
Thank you so much for . . . .everything. You are so right about FFHA, it is exactly what I need now. I'm waiting for them to send me the e-mail to join and can't wait to jump in and see what I can find. I feel like I've just graduated from High school (Hiski) to College (FFHY) where the 'big' people work!!!! :-) thank you so much again, Sue