PDA

View Full Version : Question on name changes

Tracy Boeldt
18-04-20, 03:04
Hey all! Had a question about a name change with one of my ancestors.... it seems that my relative changed his name to a more Swedish sounding name. My question is now to I put that into my Ancestry tree without erasing the old name?

Thanks Tracy

June Pelo
18-04-20, 19:41
Tracy,
I don't know much about entering data into Ancestry, but I have a genealogy program on my computer and I enter names using the birth name and then add any farm or village names they acquired.. including new names... it all helps when searching for them in records. It's all a matter of preference.. each person uses a system that suits them..

Karen Norwillo
19-04-20, 17:07
Tracy,
I just enter any alternate names as AKA (also known as) John Smith etc. Many of my ancestors didn't use their birth names in the US. Johan Fredrik Larsson AKA Johan Stevenson AKA Fred Stevenson. You should find the AKA option in the drop-down menu.
Karen

Tracy Boeldt
21-04-20, 04:55
Karen,
Thank you for responding....where exactly in this drop down AKA option box?
Tracy

Karen Norwillo
22-04-20, 22:13
Tracy,
Go to the screen for the person, on the left you will see Facts, to the right of Facts are "show' and "add +" Hit add and a drop-down list will appear, find AKA and click. Then you can add your alternate names for that person.
Let me know if you have a problem. There's all kind of additional data you can add using this; military, confirmation, divorces etc.
Karen

Tracy Boeldt
23-04-20, 20:00
Karen,
Got it! Thank you so much
Tracy