PDA

View Full Version : Gustav Eriksson Appelö Pundars 1796-1855

Sandy Witt
13-04-04, 17:14
Hej, Finland Forum members,

My 3rd great grandparents were Gustav Eriksson Appelö Pundars [born 22 May 1796 in Sideby - died 10 Feb 1855 in Korsholm - Helsingby; the son of Eric Matsson Appelö, born 1761 and Maria (Maja) Johansdr Storgård Appelö] and Margaretha Ericsdr Pundars (20 April 1798-7 May 1834 in Korsholm).

Gustaf moved from Sideby (Appelö Farm) to Korsholm in 1815. He and Margaretha were married on 9 June 1815.

He faced many hardships when Margaretha died after the birth of their 17th child. He was evidently forced to give up the Pundars hemman. He resettled in Norra Helsingby as a farm worker at Back, married Christina Lovisa Sundberg, and had two more children.

I will attach an image of an article that was sent to me by a very kind Finnish woman whose husband is a fifth cousin of mine through the Appel/Appelö line.

I believe the text is as follows:

Article (Tidningsurklipp) from "Finlands Allmänna Tidning" 7.8.1838:

Enligt guvernörens i Vasa utslag av den 8 juni kommer bonden Gustaf Pundars 1/12:dels mantal av Pundars skattehemman i Mustasaari (=Korsholm) sockens Helsingby under nr 19 att försäljas medelst upp- och avslag å Lands Cancelliet i Vasa den 16 oktober kl 11 förmiddag detta år till gäldande av min pupills fordran vilket hörmed tillkönnagives.

A.G. Lindström

I need some assistance with the transcription of the old text and translation of the legal terminology in this article (I understand most of it but appreciate your assistance).

And perhaps someone in the forum has additional information about this family or situation.

Thank you so much.
Sandy

Hasse
13-04-04, 20:12
Sandy's attachment

Gita Wiklund
13-04-04, 20:42
Sandy,

I tried to translate the best I can. Maybe someone else can do better.

In accordance with the decision of the governor of Vasa of June 8
the farmer Gustaf Pundars 1/12 share of Pundars (skatte =tax obliged?)homestead (situated in) in Mustasaari (=Korsholm) countys Helsingby (=a village in the county named Helsingby)under number 19 will be sold through (upp- och avslag ? ?) at the county office in Vasa the 16 October at 11 o´clock a.m. this year to (re?)pay the claim of my (pupil?) which hereby is announced

Enligt guvernörens i Vasa utslag av den 8 juni kommer bonden Gustaf Pundars 1/12:dels mantal av Pundars skattehemman i Mustasaari (=Korsholm) sockens Helsingby under nr 19 att försäljas medelst upp- och avslag å Lands Cancelliet i Vasa den 16 oktober kl 11 förmiddag detta år till gäldande av min pupills fordran vilket hörmed tillkönnagives.

Sandy Witt
13-04-04, 21:35
Gita,

Thank you so much for your translation of this article.

This may refer to a tax-related auction. It is possible that Gustaf Pundars might have had to forfeit his land because he had not paid taxes on it, which would be ironic because the same thing happened to his great grandson - and my ff - Johan Viktor Johansson Bäckman, born in Sideby in 1881. After immigrating to America, he abandoned his farm and about 400 acres of land in what is now prime horse-breeding country in Ocala, Florida because he didn't want to pay the taxes.

The term that really confused me was "upp- och avslag." According to my dictionary, it means "project" or "idea" AND "refusal." It may be a legal term. Perhaps someone in the Forum is more familiar with legal terminology (both svenska and English) than I am.

Sandy

Gita Wiklund
13-04-04, 22:02
I just made a google search on the term "upp- och avslag" and found that it is a kind of auction. At least there is something called "upp- och avslags auktion". But what it really means I didn´t find any explanation to.

Sandy Witt
13-04-04, 22:43
Tack igen, Gita,

It would make sense that it would be some type of auction.

The person who sent me this article also sent me a stamlista for Gustaf Pundars. The following note about Gustaf evidently refers to the sale of his skattehemman: "År 1848 blir Eric Johansson Nygård f 1813 ägare av en del av Pundars. Flyttade till Norra Helsingby som landbonde på Back 1852 (miste tydligen resten av Pundars)."

I don't know why I didn't think of doing a google search.

Sandy

granskare
15-04-04, 04:00
This is the result of putting the quoted messge into the software:

According to guvernörens in Vasa utslag of the 8 june comes bonden Gustaf Pundars 1/12:partly assessment unit of land of Pundars skattehemman in Mustasaari (=Korsholm) sockens Helsingby under nr 19 that försäljas by dint of upp- and denial å Country's Cancelliet in Vasa the 16 october kl 11 morning this year to gäldande of my pupills demand which hörmed tillkönnagives.

Chuck:cool:
but the smiley that appears within the translation is the result of the translation process. I did not put it there!

Sandy Witt
15-04-04, 13:49
Thank you, Chuck, for this creative translation (I have used some of the translation sites with bizarre results).

I am still puzzled by the term "pupil" in this passage.

Sandy

granskare
15-04-04, 19:22
I should have clarified my entry - tolken99 is software I purchased several years ago.
Just type "tolken99" into a search engine and sites will show up for you to download a trial version. The newer stuff has been updated.

Chuck

staffan
16-04-04, 08:09
Sandy,

I guess pupill in this context meant client.

Sandy Witt
18-04-04, 16:38
Chuck, I will check out the tolken99 software. Thanks for sending me the search suggestion.

Also, Staffan, thank you for the translation of "pupill" as "client" - this makes sense in a legal document.

I assume that the "client" might refer to Eric Johansson Nygård, who was evidently the person who took over the property when Gustaf Pundars forfeited his skattehemman ("År 1848 blir Eric Johansson Nygård f 1813 ägare av en del av Pundars").

Sandy