PDA

View Full Version : Finnish born in Pueblo CO church

granskare
22-04-04, 04:18
I checked on some swedish people for June on a page by page basis - small place so not too difficult. No luck for her friends but found these Finnish born + 1 swede at Tabor Lutheran in Pueblo, Colorado:

h. Johan August Larson, b. Feb 26 1871 in sweden, emi date: 1890
w. Ida f. Ebb, b. Apr 25 1876 in Lappfjärd, emi date 1892
they married Aug 16 1895 and left 1914
h. Oscar Hendrikson, born ? at Öfvermark
emi date 1895
w. Maris Sofia f. Anderson b. Mar 16 1873 at Monsala. emi 1895
They left the list in 1900.
h. Matts Wilhelm Smeds, b. Mar 31 1880 at Närpes, emi unk (fixed spelling of Mats)
w. Hulda Irene (Johnsdotter Snickars), b. Sep 9 1880 at Närpes, emi unk
Both were dropped 1914 (not 1911), they had 3 kids listed.
u. Johan August Johnson, b. Jan 6 1883 at Närpes, emi 1902
h. Erik Oscar Snickars, b. Jul 9 1877 at Närpes, emi 1902
w. Anna Carolina b. Jan 26 1879 at Närpes, emi unk
d. Elsa Katherina, b. Oct 28 1900 at Närpes, emi unk
Elsa was listed separately
h. Johan Skrifvas, b. Oct 2 1853 at Närpes, emi unk
w. Maria Christina, b. Sep 5 1852 at Närpes, emi unk
both dropped 1918
w. Mrs Willhelmina Ericson, b. Sep 25 1859 at Närpes, emi 1891, she came to Pueblo from Worcester MA
added: u. Agnes Allie (sp?) Snickers, b. May 6 1902 at Närpes, no family, died Dec 11, 1917
w. Anne Irene Carlson, b. May 13 1886 at Närpes, emi unk
husband and 2 kids listed with her
added: u Jacob Alfred Weavar or Wevar if the letter A was xed out, b. Feb 26 1854 at Gamlakarleby, em from Finland 1872 and got to Pueblo from Chicago in 1908, died 5-23-1933, no family listed
h. Joseph A. Carlson, b. Mar 19 1881 at Vasa, emi 1891
w. Katie (Johnson) b. Jan 26 1879 at Vasa, emi 1891
6 kids listed.
h. Andrew Johnson, b. Jun 29 1881 at Vasa län, emi 1902
w. Irene Maria, b. Mar 12 1890 at Finby Finland, emi 1907

that's it from Tabor Lutheran! with corrections and 2 additions done 5-1005
Chuck

Kaj Granlund
22-04-04, 20:26
That Ida born Äbb is my second cousin thrice removed if somebody need information on her ancestors.

riivari
25-04-04, 21:01
Hi,

I have a lot of material on Johan Skrifvars b.1953-10-02,and his descendants in the US.

He is ancestor of Frances Moore Lappé(not so unknown author in the states).

Greetings from Bäckby,Närpes

Nicholas
17-05-05, 15:25
Chuck & June,

As a new member, I, of course, searched a family name. What I found was Chuck's post from last year, including:

>>h. Matia Wilhelm Smeds, b. Mar 31 1880 at Närpes, emi unk
w. Hulda Irene (Johnsdotter Snickars), b. Sep 9 1880 at Närpes, emi unk
Both were dropped 1911, they had 3 kids listed.
u. Johan August Johnson, b. Jan 6 1883 at Närpes, emi 1902
h. Erik Oscar Snickars, b. Jul 9 1877 at Närpes, emi 1902
w. Anna Carolina b. Jan 26 1879 at Närpes, emi unk
d. Elsa Katherina, b. Oct 28 1900 at Närpes, emi unk
Elsa was listed separately
<<

Mats (Not Matia) Wilhelm Smeds and Hulda Irnen (Johansdotter Snickars) are my grand-parents. Johan August Snickars and Hulda Irene, were siblings.

Erik and Anna were also family, though I am not, at this moment, certain whether they were cousins, or one or the other was a sibling of my grand-mothers. Though Erik's name was also Snickars, I believe the relaiton was via Anna.

Of Mats and Hulda's seven children (of which two died shortly after birth), two--my aunt, and my father--still survive, in their 90s.

If anyone else is interested in the group that wound up in S. Colorado in the early 1900s, I would be pleased to correspond with them.

granskare
18-05-05, 04:45
Hi,
I will be returning to Rock Island in a few days and should be able to go back to Swenson and find more listings for your people at Pueblo.
I only transcribed names of Finnish born people.
And welcome to sfhs!

If you have ppl that may appear in other church films, just let me know.

Chuck

granskare
20-05-05, 19:24
Check the original thread for additions of 2 ppl including one Snickers (Snickars?) from Närpes. All info given for her and same for the guy.
OK, Nicholas info.
I have made fotocopies and scanned them for sfhs.
Check your pm for more on this:

Chuck

Nicholas
22-03-06, 22:35
Originally posted by riivari
Hi,

I have a lot of material on Johan Skrifvars b.1953-10-02,and his descendants in the US.

He is ancestor of Frances Moore Lappé(not so unknown author in the states).

Greetings from Bäckby,Närpes

Hello, Richard

Found your message when I did a search of the site for Närpes...

By any chance, was there an Elmer Skrifvars, who lived in the mountains of Souther Colorado, in your family?

All the best from Washington, DC,

Nicholas

PS Many of my cousins live in Närpes, most--though not all of them--in and around Finby.

riivari
23-03-06, 15:19
Hi Nicholas

Yes,there was actually two Elmer Skrifvars.

One born 1889-05-15 in Rye Colorado died,1979-09-12 in Maywood,California

and

Elmer Lee Skrifvars b.1907-06-23 in Aztec New Mexico,d.1980-12-15 in Pueblo.

By the way,I have some Smeds from Finby in my family too.On my mothers side.Check out my material in the Talko database.

Best regards from a sunny Närpes!

Richard

Nicholas
26-03-06, 23:13
Hej Richard,

Thanks for your reply.

My father grew up outside of Pueblo, CO, and spoke often of Elmer Skrifvars, an old family friend. I have often wondered if the Smeds and Skrifvars were related, and that my father was just too young to realize that he andd Elmer were 'cousins' of some sort.

I have not ever seen the Talko database, and need to find out how to access it. After I do, I will look at your information there.

As I was in Närpes two years ago, and it was not only quite sunny, but actually very hot, I have an image in my mind of a sunny day there. I hope it will not be so hot there this summer!

Perhaps you are acquainted with some of my Närpes cousins? Kjell and Maria Wickman live in the old Smeds house in Finby, next door to where my father's cousin, Celia Smeds, used to live. Maria is my small cousin, and Kjell and I are related through my grandmother, Hulda Snickars.

And Hans and Brittel Andersson? They live just off of the main street. Her mother was also my father's first cousin.

I met my small cousin, Per-Erik Björkland, his wife, Mikaela, and their two daughters, on this last visit.

Do you have any connection to the Snickars family from Finby? Astley and Sixten were also my father's cousins. Sixten's son, Peter, is my small cousin.

Well, this is maybe more than you wanted to know. If you know any of these people, please say 'hello' to them. They would not be surprised to know that we are in contact, as they all know my keen interest in family history and genealogy.

Have you been making genealogical searches for a long time?

I have one older cousin in Colorado who might know the difference between the two
Elmers. I wikll ask him, and I will also check the Talko database for your information, and then write again.

All best wishes,

Nicholas