PDA

View Full Version : Irish Vikings

Gwenda
03-05-04, 21:30
Hi all

Having just returned from a week in Southern Ireland, excuse me showing my ignorance, but I have to admit I was surprised by the Viking history I came across in museums etc. there. Perhaps I should have paid more attention in history lessons at school!!

As well as the museum side of things we also came across a park bench, Viking ship style. Just the front and back (excuse non-nautical terms) of the ship were visible above ground and the centre part consisted of benches for seating. Quite eye-catching and fun.

Gwenda

sune
04-05-04, 18:39
Ireland was ruled by Scandinavian Vikings until the 11th century when the Irish threw them out.

Dublin is founded by Vikings. Dubb lynn means a dark pool of water. (I do not know if it is gaelic or ancient Scandinavian) There was a pool of backwater were river Liffey med another smaller river (I do not remember the name of it.) Anyway, if the English had founded the city it would be known as Blackpool.

Sune

Gwenda
04-05-04, 18:59
Thanks for the update on the Vikings, but there is only one place in England which I detest and that is Blackpool!! I didn`t know all that about Dublin. Enjoyed our time there but preferred the countryside as Dublin is really just like any other big city.:o

sune
05-05-04, 20:52
I haven't seen much else of Ireland than Dublin. I liked the place. I found the people friendly and easy going.

St. Stephen's Green was nice, and Grafton Street was interesting. There was always something happening in one end of the street or another.

The Guinness brewery museum I think is over advertised, but the beer it self is ok and a good alternative to the lager we drink in Finland. (you can get canned Guinnes in Finland, but it costs 2,70 euro/can and it is not THAT good).

Sune

Gwenda
05-05-04, 21:05
Yes I agree re the Guinness place. We had heard so much about it and expected it to be a working brewery and not a museum. I am not a Guinness drinker anyway so my sister and I only got a free soft drink at the end of the tour (it was that or Guinness - no wine for the ladies!!). Never mind. Rest of the trip was great:D

Gunnar Damström
16-05-04, 06:58
Anders Ahlquist was a schooltime friend of mine. Anders was different. He is a linguistic genius. In the matriculation exam he took Greek in the morning session and Latin in the afternoon session, scoring highest marks in both. His overall score in the matriculation exam (studentexamen) was six laudaturs- the maximum you could score at the time. He continued his linguistic studies trough university and ended up- professor of Gaelic languages at the National University of Ireland at Galway. Not bad for a Swedefinn from Helsingfors.

Gunnar

Gwenda
16-05-04, 09:23
Thanks for your input Gunnar, even though it makes me feel inadequate. All I can remember of night classes several years ago in German is counting to 10 and, for some reason, "the train is late" is embedded in my brain - not that I have ever had occasion to say it. A slight bit better with French, but not much, so think I am best sticking to English.

June Pelo
17-05-04, 01:13
Here is an article about Vikings in Ireland.

June

NB: The article can also be found in the Article collection within Delphi at this link (http://sfhs.eget.net/wikijp.html) /Hasse

Gwenda
17-05-04, 08:29
Hello June,

Thank you for the article on Vikings in Ireland. I found it really interesting and enjoyed reading about some of the places we visited on our recent trip there. The part about the fostering of the Irish children I found especially interesting and mention of Limerick just made me want to go back for another holiday.

Gwenda:)

Gwenda
17-05-04, 08:35
Well Sune,

I was a bit slow there!! It is only after reading June`s article about the Vikings in Ireland that I actually realised what you were getting at about Blackpool in your message. Sorry, I thought you were meaning the Blackpool in England, hence my previous answer and that will teach me for not reading your answer properly first time. June`s article is really interesting when you get a chance to read it.

:o

sune
17-05-04, 09:55
No reson to apoligize, Gwenda. I admit that my text was a bit fuzzy. Haste is a bad excuse, but that is the only one I have.

Sune

Gwenda
30-05-04, 12:06
Well folks, I now have a date for the first Viking raid on Ireland, thanks to a history book which my husband got from the library. He was disappointed as the book contains only dates and nothing else, but it does include the date of the first raid (795) and several other Viking related dates. Just thought you would all like to know that bit of trivia. By the way if this message appears twice, I apologise - I was "previewing" it the first time and it disappeared into cyberspace, must have hit a wrong button somewhere.;)

Gwenda
28-06-04, 13:15
If anyone wants to know anything at all about Vikings, just ask before 16th July. I got a book from the library about them (yes, I know I am sad!!!) and that`s the day it has to go back. Anything you ever wanted to know about Vikings but were afraid to ask is probably in that book.:o

Gwenda
10-07-04, 17:53
In our local (Norfolk) paper this week, there was an article about the opening of an Anglo-Saxon and Viking Gallery at Norwich Castle Museum. Quoting from the article:

"What is great about it is that it fills in the missing pieces of the story between Roman Britain and William the Conquerer. We have got this long period of time, about 600-700 years, of Anglo-Saxon and Viking influence when England was totally transformed by huge immigration - very relevant to today"

Apparently the gallery is very good and I hope to see it next week or the week after. Will let you all know what I think of it.

Gwenda
26-07-04, 21:13
It is a few weeks since the Viking Gallery mentioned above opened, but I am finally going to visit it tomorrow - using a £1 off voucher as well!!! Sorry, but I do not feel like paying the full admission to the museum in general, as I only visited it a couple of months ago when my sister and brother in law were here from Australia. Anyway, back to the Viking Gallery. Watch this space.....I will report back after my visit tomorrow.
;)

Gwenda
27-07-04, 20:55
The visit to the Viking/Anglo Saxon Gallery of Norwich Castle Museum was successful. It was well worth the visit and I learned a lot more about Viking/Anglo Saxon life. Many pottery type artifacts and jewellery which was very interesting, plus a comical video showing something of life in those times. A bit further around the Museum I came upon another Viking part, which I didn`t know about. This time it was geared more to children (of which there were plenty, it being school holiday time). Plenty of "hands on" exhibits for them to try, including listening to Viking songs and dressing in Viking style clothes. I would have liked to have tried both of those, but resisted the temptation and enjoyed watching the youngsters participating.

Gwenda
04-10-04, 22:50
I have just had an Australian friend staying with me and she wanted to go to the Castle Museum in Norwich, which meant my third visit there in the last year, but who`s counting? However, I discovered quite a few additions to the Viking/Anglo Saxon part which I missed in my previous hurried visit. Lots of interesting "interactive" activities for children also, including listening to Viking Songs, dressing in Viking Clothes, brass rubbing coins etc. etc. etc. So, if anyone is coming Norwich way, I can assure you the exhibition is well worth a visit - as is the whole museum actually. :D

Gwenda
04-10-04, 22:54
Sorry folks but after posting my last message about all the interactive things for children at the Viking exhibition at the Castle Museum, I re-read my previous message and realised I had previously told you all most about that. Sorry, old age forgetfulness creeping up on me. Really do apologise. However, the museum is very very very very good!!!! repeated description or not. :o