PDA

View Full Version : Karl Oskar Thomasfolk, f. 1883

Sandy Witt
16-05-04, 02:15
I have received the following request from Iris Nordback and Göta Rönngård, two sisters from Kaskö, Finland who have been searching for two second cousins for many, many years. They are seeking information about their grandfather’s brother, Karl Oskar Thomasfolk, and his children. He was born in Närpes, Finland on 18 October 1888. He immigrated to the USA in 1902, after which he changed his name to Carl Oscar Carlson.

He married Anna Lisa Stål (born in December 1879 in Finland; immigrated to the USA in 1902) in 1907, presumably in Connecticut. Anna Lisa died in her home in New Haven, Connecticut on 2 September 1912. The funeral was held on September 4 and she is buried in East Lawn Cemetery in East Haven. Her obituary notes that they had two children, but does not list the children’s names.

Their message:

In the enclosed death notice we can read that Anna Lisa and Carl Oscar had two children.

We know that when Carl Oscar died in 1918, someone in USA contacted the relatives in Finland. They wanted to send Carl Oscar’s children to Finland but no one here…took the children. After that, we haven’t heard anything about those children.

We kindly ask you to find information about the children who are second cousins to us. We wonder if they died when they were still small. Or – in case they are still living or their children live in the USA – could you please find out where in the USA those people are living and what are their names?

I have tried to locate the family in the 1910 federal census, when they may have lived in the New Haven, Connecticut area. It is also possible that Carl Oscar Carlson’s obituary might contain the names of the children.

I appreciate any suggestions or information that anyone might have about this family.

Sandy Johnson Witt
Gainesville, Florida

staffan
16-05-04, 03:21
Hi Sandy,

I have tried to trace his emigrant journey(s) in order to shed light on his first place of residence in the US. He has apparently moved to another place after his first halt(s) in the US.

Karl Oskar Thomasfolk evidently made a journey in 1906. It is consistently confirmed from three sources. It is possibly that he made his first trip already in 1902 as believed but there is only circumstantial evidence for it in the available sources.

(1) Passport record in the Emigrant Register of the Institute of Migration http://www.migrationinstitute.fi/sinst/emigrantregister.php :

Last name
Thomasfolk

First names
Karl Oskar
Other names
Date of birth
. .1889
Marital status
Religion
Lut.
Occupation
Taloll. pka
Home parish
Närpiö
Province
VAA
Passport date
Passport number
Passport valid (year:month)
5:00
Destination
Amerikka
Passport issued by
VAA
Remarks

(2) Passenger list record in the Emigrant Register of the Institute of Migration:

Last name
Thomasfolk
First names
Karl
Age or age group
Port of departure
Hanko
Place of destination
Boston
State of destination
(MA?)
Country of destination
USA
Price of ticket
FIM 192
Ship from Finland
Arcturus
Date of departure from Finland
Ship from England
Philadelphia
Date of departure from England
Ocean Line
American Line
Port of departure in England
List and page
47/45
Remarks

(3) Ship's Manifest in the Ellis Island archives

Thomasfolk, Karl

Finland, Finnish

Narpes

March 12, 1906

17y

M

S

Philadelphia

Southampton, Southamptonshire,
England, UK

According to the Ellis Island manifest he was going to join his sister Anna Nylund residing at 30 Hooker Street in Worcester, Mass

We can find an Anna Thomasfolk from Närpes in the Passport Register (passport issued on June 28 1900) and a consistent passenger list record on June 30 1900 :

Last name
Thomasfolk

First names
Anna Irene
Other names
Date of birth
. .1884
Marital status
Religion
Occupation
Ent. taloll. tr
Home parish
Närpiö
Province
VAA
Passport date
Passport number
5:0
Destination
Amerikka
Passport issued by
KR
Remarks
Sj vanhemmat.

Last name
Thomasfolk

First names
Anna
Age or age group
Port of departure
Kristiinankaupunki
Place of destination
Worcester
State of destination
MA
Country of destination
USA
Price of ticket
FIM 129
Ship from Finland
Arcturus
Ship from England
Ocean Line
Dominion Line
List and page
18/2
Remarks
Mk Josef, Katarina, Frans ja Johan Konu.
---------
(Co-travellers Konu is probably misspelled Konn.)

There is a passenger list record from 1902 re a Karl Thomasfolk. His age is however recorded as 18 (our Karl should be only about 13-14 years of age) and he can't be found from the passport register to check if he was from Närpes (there were Thomasfolks in Lappfjärd and Tjöck too). His co-traveller seems to be Marcus Teir from Närpes and they apparently went aboard a coastal steamship in Kristinestad. As their port of call was Boston they can't be found from the Ellis Island archives.

Last name
Thomasfolk

First names
Karl
Age or age group
Port of departure
Kristiinankaupunki
Place of destination
Boston
State of destination
(MA?)
Country of destination
USA
Price of ticket
FIM 179
Ship from Finland
Arcturus
Ship from England
Ocean Line
Beaver Line
List and page
23/87
Remarks

7 passengers with destination Boston among them Markus Teir from Närpes.

Last name
Teir

First names
Markus
Age or age group
Port of departure
Kristiinankaupunki
Place of destination
Boston
State of destination
MA
Country of destination
USA
Price of ticket
FIM 193
Ship from Finland
Arcturus
Ship from England
Ocean Line
Cunard Line
List and page
28/94
Remarks

Passport record which confirms that Markus was from Närpes:

Last name
Teir
First names
Markus Fritiofsson
Other names
Date of birth
. .1877
Marital status
Religion
Lut.
Occupation
Itsell. pka
Home parish
Närpiö
Province
VAA
Passport date
Passport number
5:00
Destination
Amerikka
Passport issued by
KR
Remarks
Sotap. Vaasa.
-------------

Regards,

granskare
16-05-04, 03:43
Hi Sandy,
I will check Swenson next week and see what is there.
Worcester MA appears to be a good place to begin.
After checking on CT churches, I find that none were in New Haven with closest Swedish lang church being in Bridgeport so I will look into the lutheran and covenant churches in that city.

Chuck

staffan
16-05-04, 06:25
There were two birth years in Sandy's message: 1883 in the subject line and 8 October 1888 in the body of the message. I used the latter one in my searches and did not notice the discrepancy between the subject line and the body text years, but she now told me in a message that 1883 ought to be correct one. It means that it gives much more weight to the passenger list record of the Karl Thomasfolk in 1902 whose port of call was Boston because he is now of the right age and it casts in doubt that the Karl Oskar Thomasfolk from Närpes who travelled in 1906 and arrived at Ellis Island is the Karl Oskar Thomasfolk from Närpes we are looking for because his age now does not fit the birth year 1883. They can actually be two different persons.

A Karl Thomasfolk arriving at Boston ought to be found from the roll (Index to Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Boston, MA, Jan. 1, 1902--June 30, 1906)
NARA # T521-9 Quist, Joseph F.--Solimene, Sabath or FHL # (LDS Family History Library in Salt Lake City) 1324982 or 1205463.

jeanette
16-05-04, 08:02
Hi Sandy,

At the Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness site for Connecticut
I noticed listings for New Haven. One lady lives near the "Old Cemetery" in East Haven (I wasn't sure whether this was the same cemetery you mentioned) and another lady will look up and copy Public Records.

Ther url is
http://www.raogk.org/connecti.htm

Hope this helps,

Jeanette

Sandy Witt
16-05-04, 13:59
Thank you, Staffan, Chuck and Jeanette for all of this information. I apologize for posting the misleading "1888" text in the body of my message; it should have been 1883.

It is always amazing to me to find out that persons crossed the Atlantic Ocean several times more than 100 years ago - although I know that it happened relatively often.

And I am hopeful that the cemetery visit will provide additional information about his family. The sisters who have been searching for this family wrote to the cemetery (East Lawn Cemetery in East Haven, Connecticut) in 2001, but were not able to obtain any meaningful information about the family, unfortunately.

Sandy

jeanette
18-05-04, 08:12
Hi Sandy,

On the Heritage Quest CD Scandinavians in the 1910 US Federal Census I found three listings for CARLSON in New Haven, CT.
Surname, Given Name, age, sex, Birthplace, County, Locality, T624 roll, part, page, subpage, State
CARLSON, Charles age 30 M FIN NEW HAVEN, BRANFORD TWP 136 2 27 B CT
CARLSON, Charles age 21 M FIN NEW HAVEN, BRANFORD TWP
136 2 25 A CT
CARLSON, Christana age 21 F FIN NEW HAVEN, 9-WD NEW HAVEN 140 1 54 A CT

I found no listings for THOMASFOLK.

Hopefully one of the Charles is the head of the family you are seeking.

Jeanette

Sandy Witt
18-05-04, 16:11
Jeanette,

According to the women in Finland who provided the information, he used the name "Carl Oscar Carlson" after he emigrated from the Närpes area of Finland, although I suppose he could have used "Charles" (or even "Oscar") as his new given name.

Since he was born on October 18, 1883, he would have been 26 or 27 when the 1910 census was recorded. However, I know that the ages listed are frequently incorrect, unfortunately. Are a wife and child(ren) listed for any of these Charles Carlsons?

I appreciate your looking this up for me.

Sandy

granskare
18-05-04, 23:41
New Haven Ct did not have a Swedish lang church - Salem Lutheran church and Covenant Congregational church at Bridgeport Ct are the closest to New Haven.
I did not find Carl Oskar Carlson or his wife Anna Lisa listed as members of either church nor did I find them listed as receiving funeral rites conducted by these churches.
I would assume then that they may have used this church: [copy/pasted from the finngen list]
Lutherska Bethlehemsförsamlingen i Georgetown (-1931-)
Svensk-finska lutherska församlingen
A Swedish Finn church founded Jul 7, 1908.
Chuck

Sandy Witt
19-05-04, 00:23
Chuck,

I will see what I can find out about this church.

There was no mention of a church in Anna Lisa Carlson's obituary; perhaps they were not members of any particular church.

I wish I could find the name of the newspaper that printed her obituary (there seem to be several references to Brooklyn, New York, so it might have been published there).

Thank you for checking in all of these resources!

Sandy

jeanette
19-05-04, 06:01
Hi Sandy,

The Heritage Quest cd lists only Heads of household. He may have used the name Carl but the census taker may have written Charles. To determine whether either of the names I listed are the one you are interested in, you need to look at the actual census images. Unfortunately, I don't have access to the census and am unable to help with that.

If these aren't him, it is possible that he has been listed as Carlsson/Karlson/Karlsson. When I searched there were 295 results for C. Carlson scattered across America. New Haven seemed the best place to start.

Good Luck with the census.

Jeanette

Sandy Witt
19-05-04, 16:09
Jeanette,

I don't have access to census images either. I seached on Ancestry.com for Charles, Carl and Oscar (my grandfather and many of my Swedish-Finn relatives used their middle names after they immigrated) Carlson.

I found the following "Oscar Carlson" who has the correct birth year in the 1910 census for New Haven County, Connecticut.

Perhaps someone who can view census images can look him up.

Name: Oscar Carlson
Age in 1910: 26
Estimated Birth Year: 1883
Home in 1910: 15-WD NEW HAVEN, NEW HAVEN, Connecticut
Race: White
Series: T624
Roll: 138
Part: 3
Page: 181A
Year: 1910

Sandy

Sandy Witt
19-05-04, 23:12
I think that I might have found the CARL OSCAR CARLSON family (the family I have been looking for) in the 1910 Census.

A kind woman named April at RootsWeb (Connecticut census lookup list) sent me the attached image that lists information for “Oscar Carlson” and his family in the 1910 census for New Haven County, which lists the following family names:

Oscar (head of household) age 26
Anna (wife)
Ernest (child, age 1, I believe)
Violet (child, age 3, I believe)

I was not able to read the image very well, and wonder if someone else can read it (or has access to the census image subscription and can view and/or send a clearer image). Any assistance would be appreciated. Specifically, I was unable to read where Oscar and Anna were born. I know that many Swedish Finns were mistakenly listed as having been born in Sweden because they often spoke Swedish at home.

April attempted to find the children in the 1920 Census and found them both:
•Ernest Carlson 11 yrs, b. Ct. in New Britain, Ct. on State Street in the Children’s Home.
•Violet is in the Children Home for girls, Hast ? Street, New Britain, Ct.

I assume that these Children’s Homes are orphanages.

Perhaps someone has additional information about them or how I might proceed to locate these children.

Sandy

jeanette
20-05-04, 06:51
Hi Sandy,

The Oscar Carlson you found appears to be the man you have been seeking.
Both M1 for 2 yrs. Wife has had 2 children , both living.
Column No's 12, 13 and 14 all appear to read Fin Swedish for both Oscar and Anna. Connecticut then Finn Swedish for the two children.
Would his occupation be machinist?

Did you notice there is a William Anderson boarder 26 and
Otto Carlson brother, 21? living with them at the time of the census?
Both Fin Swedish in 12, 13 and 14. I am unable to make out
emig year or occupation s for either. Otto may have worked at a Mill?

Emigration Institute site shows an Otto Thomasfolk leaving Finland 20.01.1909.

Have you looked up Orphanages in Connecticut?

Hope something here helps you.

Jeanette

Sandy Witt
20-05-04, 15:29
Jeanette,

Thank you for pointing out the "Fin Swedish" (I couldn't quite read what was written in those columns) and the fact that his brother Otto Carlson was living with them (along with his immigration date).

This is additional information that will be useful in confirming that this Oscar Carlson is the right man.

I tried to look up the children's homes last night (which apparently were part of the larger Children's Home Society), but only found general information. I wonder if there are records about the children who lived in these homes somewhere.

I have also tried to look up records for their children, Ernest Carlson and Violet Carlson, born in Connecticut ca 1908-09 and 1906-07, respectively, but have not had much success yet.

I appreciate your help!

Sandy

syrene
20-05-04, 18:01
One Ernest Carlson, born 02, Mar 1907 in New Haven Conn, died June 1973 in Tarzana, Los Angeles, CA is in the Social Security Death Index. That's a little early. And I chose to ignore the fact that his name could have been changed by adoptive parents.
Syrene

Sandy Witt
20-05-04, 18:24
Thanks, Syrene.

This could be Carl Oscar's son.

Re their adoption: I am trying to find out if there is a database somewhere about early adoptions. I found quite a lot of general information about the "Children's Homes" but nothing specific about the children who lived there.

I could not find Ernest or Violet Carlson in the 1930 Connecticut census - but they could have been adopted or moved. And, of course Violet might have gotten married and changed her name.

Sandy