PDA

View Full Version : Swedish Emigranten CD lookup?

Merja
16-05-04, 20:29
Hi!

Does someone here have access to the Swedish CD Emigranten and be so kind to do a lookup for me?

I´m trying to trace three relatives who emigrated from Finland to America. They cannot be found in any Finnish passenger records and I believe they must have travelled through Sweden.

These persons are siblings, all born in Vörå, Vasa län/province, Finland and might have used any of the names Bastubacka, Backa or Syrjämäki. When emigrating they lived in Ylihärmä, Vasa län, Finland.

They are:
Anders Mattsson Bastubacka, b. 23rd March 1862 in Vörå. Passport to America issued 1896.

Erik Mattsson Bastubacka, born 5th July 1868 in Vörå. Emigrated between 1894-1897 alone.

Ida Wilhelmina Mattsdotter Bastubacka, b. 8th Jan 1881 in Vörå. Passport to America issued July 1899, with her cousin Maria Sofia Hantula b.1883.

I would really appreciate it if someone took the trouble to look them up! Erik was my husband´s g-grandfather and we really would like to know what happened to him!

Merja

Sören Ahinko
16-05-04, 20:56
Hi Merja!

I have looked at the Emigranten.
But I´m sorry to say that I did not find anything of the persons you try to find.

Maybe Jarl Roos knows something about your Bastubackas. He and some of his friends are doing some research about Bastubacka.

Merja
16-05-04, 22:14
Thank you so much for taking the trouble!
I am not familiar with Jarl Roos you mention in your post. Is he a member of this forum? Any help to my research is welcome as I seem to run into dead ends all the time.

June Pelo
17-05-04, 01:56
I don't know if Jarl Roos is on Finlander, but I have had contact with him in the past. He lives in Pensala, Finland and his e-mail is: jarl_roos%40hotmail.com

I have many Bastubacka names, but they are from Nedervetil.

June

Hasse
17-05-04, 07:41
Originally posted by June Pelo
I don't know if Jarl Roos is on Finlander, ...

Yes - he is! See "Jarl Roos" in the members section.

Jarl Roos
17-05-04, 11:59
Unfortunately I do not have these persons in my database.

Jarl Roos

Originally posted by Merja
Hi!

Anders Mattsson Bastubacka, b. 23rd March 1862 in Vörå. Passport to America issued 1896.

Erik Mattsson Bastubacka, born 5th July 1868 in Vörå. Emigrated between 1894-1897 alone.

Ida Wilhelmina Mattsdotter Bastubacka, b. 8th Jan 1881 in Vörå. Passport to America issued July 1899, with her cousin Maria Sofia Hantula b.1883.

Merja

Merja
20-05-04, 07:41
Thanks for checking, Jarl!
Merja

syrene
20-05-04, 20:14
Dear Merja,
I checked Ellis Island for Anders, Andrew, Erik, Erki, Ida Wilhelmina, Vilhalmina, and Mina first names. Then Bastubacka, BAcka, Bast, BAck, Syrjamaki, and Maki. No possible matches.

However, my maternal grandfather came via Norway to the US, and mgmother came to Boston. Some came from Hamburg or Bremen Germany.

Philadelphia, Portland Maine, and Halifax were other ports. Halifax particularly was less expensive by one day's travel than the others.
Good luck!
Syrene

Merja
20-05-04, 21:09
Hi Syrene!
Thanks for you effort! I have never thought about Germany or Norway as possible routes, thanks for the idea! I believe Boston is a strong possibility as one of their siblings ( whom I have managed to trace ) emigrated to Lanesville, Mass. The immigrant records of these other ports are not online, are they?
Merja

staffan
20-05-04, 22:00
Merja,

The following ones are online:

- Norway Digitalarkivet Registers http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/wc/webcens.exe?slag=meny&kategori=5&emne=1&spraak=e

- Denmark The Danish Emigration Archives http://www.emiarch.dk/search.php3?l=en

- Hamburg Emigration Lists http://www.hamburg.de/fhh/behoerden/staatsarchiv/link_to_your_roots/english/start.htm

I have earlier tried to search all these registers regarding your Bastubacka but was not successful. I did not try all kind of possible names and spellings (to search all the Norwegian ports takes much time) so maybe it is worth to check the registers once more and more carefully.

Regards,