PDA

View Full Version : The gift of healing

June Pelo
15-06-04, 21:43
I found this in some papers from a distant relative who wrote about her grandmother Maria Emelia Johansdotter Kallis, married to Johan Petter Bygden:

Maria had a "gift" and cured her granddaughter Bertha of exzema. Maria put a pot on the wood stove with water from three different wells in it. She added coins of different metals, a lead weight and then she spit in the pot. She put in a straight pin and if it stood upright, the solution was ready. She bathed Bertha with it, and before Bertha went home the exzema had begun to clear up. Maria then took the concoction to the end of a dead end street where three streets intersected to form a T and dumped it. Maria could have passed this gift on to others, but if she did she would lose it herself. Her children didn't want it, although Bertha later regretted that she didn't accept the gift.

June

sune
17-06-04, 10:46
I remember that my uncle once said that "healer women" could heal cataract for a while in the following way:

You put granulated sugar in the patient's eye. It irritates the eye and causes the patient to rub it. The sharp edged sugar chrystals tear the damaged cornea away. The pain makes the patient to weep and the sugar melts away with the tears. After a while the eye grows a new cornea, but the cure is not perpetual. The cataract comes back.

I do not know how trustworthy this information is. I've heard it only from this one source, but it sounds believable.

And above all: do not try this at home, folks.

Sune

Kerstin
17-06-04, 23:02
If you got stuck by a wasp, then put some sugar on the place were you got stuck. That was what I was learned to do when I was a child, and belive it or not but it helped.;)

June Pelo
18-06-04, 00:46
One time we were walking in the country with some friends and one of them was stung in the neck by a wasp. It was so painful she could hardly stand it. Someone broke open a cigarette and spit on the tobacco to moisten it and then put it on the wasp bite - and it deadened the pain.

June

sune
18-06-04, 09:11
I was taught that you should put potato flour on wasp bites to draw the poison out.

Sune

June Pelo
18-06-04, 18:28
There are many remedies for relieving stinging insect bites such as a mixture of baking soda and water; mixing meat tenderizer with water; dabbing with alcohol, witch hazel, vinegar or ammonia - but we were out in the country and had nothing - not even water, but someone remembered that tobacco can relieve the pain.

June

Kerstin
18-06-04, 19:26
That is the first time that I hear that tobaaco is good for the health!!

MVH Kerstin:)

June Pelo
18-06-04, 21:27
I just checked Google and there were lots of rememdies for wasp stings, such as using a mixture of vinegar and clay; ear wax!; and it did say that the tobacco juices neutralized the acid of the wasp sting.

June

Gwenda
22-06-04, 14:32
As someone who has been stung a number of times by wasps, including once on the mouth (very painful) and another time when I sat on a wasp (even more painful!!) I have taken note of all these remedies, ready for the next time. Thanks:o