PDA

View Full Version : Midsummer

Inger Wallius
22-06-04, 19:39
Midsummer is coming up.http://www.kaiku.com/juhannus.html

staffan
23-06-04, 16:56
To the Midsummer customs of villages in southern Ostrobothnia belonged first of all to bring young birches from the woods which were put at the entrances of the farm houses in more or less elaborated garlands. Compare to the picture from Tjöck at http://sydaby.eget.net/swe/drakt_4.htm .It was also common here still in the 1960's to pick bouquets of the Liley-of-the-valley http://sydaby.eget.net/nat/liljekonvalje.htm. The midsummer bonfire - kokko - was not a tradition here, but the customs varied from region to region so it would be interesting to learn to know the traditions from other regions in Ostrobothnia and Finland.

Gwenda
24-06-04, 11:30
Happy Juhannus to everyone. I enjoyed the website Inger, found it very interesting. Staffan, I loved the photo of the lily of the valley - one of my favourite flowers. Hope your summer is better than we are having in England right now - rain, rain and more rain, but then what else can you expect at Wimbledon time?:(

Hasse
26-06-04, 21:41
"Juhannus" is the Finnish word for Swedish "Midsommar". Many swedish speaking people still speak about "Johanne", ie. the day of John the Baptist.

Below the white "midsommar ros" photographed a moment ago

June Pelo
27-06-04, 18:57
Midsummer's Day is celebrated on the Saturday that falls between 20-26 June. It is also the feast-day of John the Baptist and Finland's Flag Day. Many of the customs associated with Midsummer's Day derive from the pre-Christian and pan-European festival of light and fertility that marked the summer solstice. Homes are decorated with flowers and birch branches. A Midsummer pole is part of the Finland-Swedish tradition.

There was one night when all sexual laws of peasant society were suspended. That was the short Midsummer's Eve. An old saying: Midsummer night is not long, but it sets many a cradle rocking.

June

Ingemar Ekman
30-06-04, 19:19
Little late but…
We (my daughter Jonna, her fiancé Stefan and Jonna’s brother Markus and I) attended the Midsummer Eve celebration in Sonboda, Föglö Åland. After the pole was raised and the Åland flag was hoisted up we sang “Ålänningens sang”
Text at http://www.mhbibl.aland.fi/alandica/alsang/
And more of the traditions, unfortunately in Swedish at:
http://www.mhbibl.aland.fi/alandica/midsommar/midsommar.html

After these ceremonies we went home and enjoyed the Midsummer menu, consisting of herring and new potatoes served with sour cream and a tasty strawberry cake as dessert.
Then the sauna, with several jumps in the Baltic Sea.
There is also a lot of magic going on at midsummer. For those interested in finding out their husband/wife is to be, you have to go out into the fields and pick seven different kinds of flowers under silence and climb over fences and put the flowers under your pillow case, and you will dream of your future love. (Stefan and Jonna have probably done that; they will be married the 10th of July)
----------------
Ingemar

syrene
01-07-04, 16:10
Hi,
We celebrated Midsommar both Saturday and Sunday, first with family and friends, then with hundreds at a public festival. Both days we heard Finnish-speaking Finns who have emigrated to the US declare to American friends that "you should see the Ålander's midsommar pole. It's the most beautiful in all of Finland!" And the photo of a pole with beautiful colored flags flying shows us why.
Thanks,
Syrene

kivinen1
19-06-08, 04:01
"Juhannus" is the Finnish word for Swedish "Midsommar". Many swedish speaking people still speak about "Johanne", ie. the day of John the Baptizer.

Below the white "midsommar ros" photographed a moment ago

Hasse,

I thought I'd try to get you before you are away for the holiday.

Is your midsommar ros blooming yet?

Happy Days to all - Älä aja ojaan, Designate a driver, watch your step around the lake and hide the knives!:p

Ilmari;)

Hasse
19-06-08, 06:12
Hasse,

I thought I'd try to get you before you are away for the holiday.

Is your midsommar ros blooming yet?

Happy Days to all - Älä aja ojaan, Designate a driver, watch your step around the lake and hide the knives!:p

Ilmari;)

Sadly the midsummer rose bloomed already two weeks ago and thus "our" bush has only one or two white roses left. Instead our red Flamentanz climbing roses probably opens the next really sunny day. The meteorologists however have promised us the wettest Midsummer in years...

Glad Midsommar
Glad Johanne
Hauskaa Juhannusta

Hasse

Karen Norwillo
19-06-08, 17:43
Hasse,
I have a very similar white rose just outside my cellar door. It is still blooming, but not as beautiful as it was two weeks ago. But it does continue to bloom all summer sporadically. I had a drink of a spring birch "tonic" while I was in Rovaniemi. It didn't have too much taste, but I was told it was "good for you."
Karen

Hasse
19-06-08, 18:54
...I had a drink of a spring birch "tonic" while I was in Rovaniemi. It didn't have too much taste, but I was told it was "good for you."...
Yes "björksav" is drinkable. Haven't tried it in years but I know that it is even sold in some shops. In Russia even more.

In Germany they still use the liquid as one of the main ingredients in "Birkenwasser" or "Birkenhaarwasser" - a tonic used in haircare. Is said to even improve the growth of hair. Thus - all of you who have a problem with loss of hair. Take a trip to Finland in the springtime. A shot of natural birch tonic and you will soon need your comb again. Or not...

Hasse