PDA

View Full Version : Heitela/Hietala

Colleen
11-07-04, 04:46
I am wondering if anyone has any information on this name? From what I have found out that my great grandmother's real name was Mary. She came over on the SS Spree in 1891. I am unsure of her correct birthdate, but on the census it says it was April 1873. Her death certificate says 08.11.1872. It also says that her father is Peter Ruikka. On the hiski, I have only found this:

8.11.1872 10.11.1872 Höytölä Unga Bond: Matts Pertta hustru Maria Karlsdotter 22 Maria Eufrosyne

I am wondering if this could possibly be her!

I appreciate any help!

Colleen
:)

June Pelo
11-07-04, 21:26
I don't have the names you mentioned in my database, but I have 3 Hietala names: from Kaustby, Kelviå and Karleby parishes.

There is also a Hietilä name from Toholampi. Note the difference in spelling.

June

kpaavola
11-07-04, 22:48
Hi Colleen,
Since you know the ship name and arrival month & year, you might want to search Google and find to which port that ship sailed.

Robert Mattson, who's a member of the forum but who is more active on Finngen, visits the Archives in Boston periodically and maybe could look up the manifest for you. With that information, you may find from where in Finland your ancestor came.

I did a search on Hiski for any children born to a father with "last name = Rui" and found 4 or 5 parishes where the name Ruikka was found. It might be a Plan B.

Once you know the parish, then you could order the film/microfiche for that parish and locate her family.

Based on the patronymic naming patterns, personally I don't think the listing you found would be the correct person. But then again, you would want to try to eliminate/confirm it as a possibility.

If you have questions, please continue to ask as we're all here to help! :)

Colleen
12-07-04, 15:18
Originally posted by June Pelo
I don't have the names you mentioned in my database, but I have 3 Hietala names: from Kaustby, Kelviå and Karleby parishes.

There is also a Hietilä name from Toholampi. Note the difference in spelling.

June

Hi June,

Thank you for your reply. I have been told that she is from Lapland by my Mom, but I have been told alot of things that I find out different. I am unsure where she is from and what the her real last name is. I am hoping to find out more when I go back home in August.

Thanks,
Colleen

Colleen
12-07-04, 15:26
Hi Kevin,

Here is what I have on the ship:

The information that is listed for Marie Hietela is:
Age 19
Nation of origin: Finland (just "Finland," no specific area, unfortunately)
Purpose of travel: Staying in the USA
Mode of travel: Steerage
Port of Departure: Bremen and Southampton
Ship: Spree
Date of arrival: 1-23-1891

There is no specific origin, but this is consistant with her age. I have searched the web for the ship, but there is nothing on the SS Spree for this date.

I can't find a date of marriage or anything. All I was told was that she left Finland to go to Minnesota to stay with her brother in New York Mills. There are Ruikka's in NYM's but no real information on her being there.

It was a long shot with the names I had earlier posted. I have been searching out this family for about 2 years and always come up empty!

Thanks,
Colleen
:confused:

kpaavola
12-07-04, 17:23
Hey Colleen,
I found the following at this link: http://www.norwayheritage.com/p_ship.asp?sh=spree

Have you seen it? It might be worthwhile to go to the local Family History Center (%40 Mormon Church) and order the film for the ship arrival record for her, now that the port of arrival is known. Often more information is gleaned when viewing the original.

June Pelo
12-07-04, 18:24
I found this reference to a ship named Spree:
http://search.ancestry.com/db-nycim1890/P126.aspx

So even though the name doesn't always turn up in a search engine, it existed.

June

Colleen
13-07-04, 05:28
Thank you both for all your help! I really do appreciate it! I am off to both pages to see what I can find.

But I do have another question: What do you do when you search Ellis Island and find out that the page is not the one they say it is? Here is the thing, I might have found my great grandfather. They have him on the Germanie and when I follow their link to it, it comes up another page. His name is not on it.

August Kultala arrived in 1892. Check it out, it doesn't work!

I did email them, told them to check it out, but it was last year and they still haven't changed it!

Colleen

kpaavola
13-07-04, 15:51
Hi Colleen,
That happened to me with one once. Sadly, being ignorant, I just kept checking back and eventually, they fixed the link. It took a long time though.

Since then, I have learned of the following website:
http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/mm.htm
It's called "Accessing Ellis Island Manifests in One Step" and provides a search mechanism for viewing the ship manifest. It's a bit tedious but might be worthwhile.

kpaavola
13-07-04, 16:20
Colleen, rather than go to work, I searched that site and found him. It takes a while to page through all the pages but he's there.

He's at the following: Series=M237, Roll=589, Frame=545

I've attached the image of row 501 below:

Colleen
14-07-04, 15:17
Kevin,

Thank you soooo much for all your help!! I appreciate it very much! I am hoping this is the beginning of finding something out about both my great grandparents!

Thanks again!!!!!

Colleen

kpaavola
14-07-04, 17:48
"she left Finland to go to Minnesota to stay with her brother in New York Mills. There are Ruikka's in NYM's but no real information on her being there."

Colleen,
You mentioned New York Mills in one of your messages. My mother grew up in New York Mills. I have a copy of the Centennial booklet that NYM put out quite some years ago. What was Mary's brother's name? I could look it up and see if there's anything written about him in the booklet.

Is Ruikka her maiden name and Hietala her married name? Just trying to keep the facts straight. :(

Colleen
07-06-06, 03:58
Originally posted by kpaavola
[B
Is Ruikka her maiden name and Hietala her married name? Just trying to keep the facts straight. :( [/B]

Hi Kevin,

It has been along time since I ahve been to the site.

Here is the info on Hietala/Ruikka:

From what I know, When she married her last name was Hietala. On her death certificate it says that her father was Peter Ruikka. Kultala is the married name.

As for her brother, his name was Gust. Not sure if he went by Hietala, Ruikka or what!

Colleen

Art Fors
07-06-06, 18:38
Hi Colleen,

This may be your great grandmother's brother, Gust Ruikka.

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 > Minnesota > Otter Tail County > 2 > Draft Card R

Name: Gust Adolph Ruikka
Permanent Home Address: New York Mills, Otter Tail, MN
Birth Date: 26 Sep 1875
Race: White
US Citizen: Naturalized
Present Occupation: Farmer
Employer's Name: Myself
Nearest Relative: Hanna M. Ruikka (Wife)
Address: New York Mills, Otter Tail, MN
Height: Medium
Build: Stout
Color of Eyes: Blue
Color of Hair: Dark ??
Roll: 1675772
DraftBoard: 2

Art

Colleen
08-06-06, 02:02
Thank you very much Art.
Colleen :)