PDA

View Full Version : Hei from metro Detroit

Kaiponen
27-07-04, 06:34
I am half Finnish and half French. My mom, Eleanore Kaiponen, was born in Atlantic Mine, MI. Her parents, Charles Kaiponen and Hilda Moilanen were born in Finland; they were married in Atlantic Mine in 1906.

My mom had 12 children with my dad, Emmanuel. As a young family, my parents would take us back each summer to the Kaiponen Farm in Bruce Crossing to visit grandma and my uncles. My mom's brother, Wilbert, lives there at this time.

I hadn't been to the Farm since I was a child but I visted my uncle in July 2002. Things look much different through adult eyes! It made me feel good to be there again!

Anyway, I love the U.P. and I love my Finnish heritage. I have been the genealogist for my immediate family about ten years; I love doing the research and finding cousins, especially in Finland.

Rose Couture (using my mom's maiden name as my user name)

:) I look forward to corresponding with members of this web site.

syrene
27-07-04, 17:11
You will probably hear from a number of Yoopers on the site. I am also interested in research from Michigan for an exhibit at the Marquette FinnFest next year. Let me know if you would like your family included.
Regards,
Syrene

June Pelo
27-07-04, 21:20
Rose,

I've seen your name before - was it on Finngen or in FAR (Finnish American Reporter)? If your family is from Bruce Crossing, they probably know Jim Kurtti, editor of FAR.

Welcome,

June

Kaiponen
28-07-04, 04:35
...I am also interested in research from Michigan for an exhibit at the Marquette FinnFest next year. Let me know if you would like your family included. Regards, Syrene

Hi Syrene! What kind of family info do you need for your Finnfest exhibit? If you prefer, you can write me at my yahoo addy.

...I've seen your name before - was it on Finngen or in FAR (Finnish American Reporter)? If your family is from Bruce Crossing, they probably know Jim Kurtti, editor of FAR. Welcome, June

Hi June! Yes, you know me from Finngen and other Rootsweb mail lists. You are a great resource for all us Finnish researchers. Yes, I have corresponded with Jim--he passes by the Kaiponen Farm. Thanks for the welcome!