PDA

View Full Version : Emma Berg from Solf, Finland

smultrontid
31-07-04, 16:19
I'm searching for descendants (grandchildren to my grandmother's sister) to Emma Berg in the USA. She was born on the 8 of August in 1872 and emigrated to the USA (probably Escanaba Michigan or Duluth, Minnesota ) on the13:th of May in 1893. She married in USA but I do'nt know nothing about the family.
Synnöve

June Pelo
31-07-04, 19:45
I keep seeing queries for people in the UP of Mich. and in Minnesota. Our member Alicia Marshall usually does lookups for the Finlander Forum, but she's away during the summer months - so it would be a good idea to re-post these queries in the fall when she returns to her home. I don't think she has e-mail access while she's away.

June

syrene
01-08-04, 06:19
Dear Synnove,
By the way is that a Norwegian name? It's pretty!

I've searched for Emma Berg in Ellis Island records of New York, West Duluth Order of Runeberg (1907) and Escanaba Order of Runeberg (1907) and the US census 1910, 1920, 1930 with no results. Any more information on her? Does the church record in Solf show if any other persons from Solf went with her on her trip? Are there other family members who went to the US or Canada, either ahead of her or behind her? What was her father's name, the farm name, and what names did brothers and sisters take who left Finland? I'll behappy to try those as well.
Regards,
Syrene

smultrontid
01-08-04, 10:14
Thank you for the reply.
Yes, Synnöve is Norwegian name but from beginning it's coming from old English "sungift". After Björnstjerne Björnson's book "Synnöve på Solbacken" some Swedish-speaking mothers in Finland (not in Sweden) liked to give this name to their daughters.
Emma Berg's father was Jonas Simon-Eriksson Berg-Alnäs. Farm's name was Berg. The other members in this family stayed in Finland, only Emma who was the oldest emigrated. I have to ask Migration Institute if there where other relatives or friends which went with her, though, I couldn't find her from their passengerlist or passportlists.
Best regards
Synnöve

Karen Douglas
01-08-04, 15:26
Hi, Synnöve: My grandfather, Edvard Isakson Berg, born on 1 Jan. 1873, was from the Korsholm/Solf area, as well. And, coincidentally, he emigrated to the U.S. on 28 April 1893, arrived in the U. S. on 19 May 1893 on the ship "Britannic" out of Liverpool, England. His destination was Hancock, Michigan, which was the destination of many of his Swede-Finn relatives and friends from Korsholm around that time.

So far, I have been unable to find any connection between Emma and Edvard, but I will keep looking!

Karen Douglas

smultrontid
01-08-04, 21:12
Thank you. I couldn't either find any connection between these Bergs, but there would be; there are a lot of Isaknames in this family.
Best regards, Synnöve

granskare
13-10-04, 02:08
Emma Berg f. Svarvar Sep 1 1887 Sundom Solv unk B147

I checked my database of Finnish born ppl and this is the only one for Escanaba and Delta County.
The source for this are microfilms at Swenson Swedish Center - this particular Emma was a member of a Baptist church.

I found no other Emma Berg in the other UP counties.

Chuck Maki

smultrontid
13-10-04, 16:19
No, this can't be "my" Emma. She was borned as Emma Berg, not married Berg.
Thank you for your seeking!
Synnöve

granskare
13-10-04, 18:17
Hi again,

I was under the incorrect impression that Berg was her married name but a reread of your original posting indicates you didn't know the married name.

That said, I decided to search for the birthdate but did not find anybody born on that date. Of course there may be errors on my part or the church secretary's part.

It is too bad we don't know the parish where she was born in Finland because we could do another search based upon that information and maybe find her. I did read Syrene's first post mentioning Solf but I didn't see that parish from you. I made a quick check for Solf but nothing from Delta Co.

Chuck

syrene
14-10-04, 16:35
I've checked Ellis Island backwards and forwards, even with the name Ericksson/Erikson etc. No Emma Berg from Finland. It's most probably that she came in through Boston or another port.
Halifax is a strong possibility, since she was headed straight for Duluth. A lot of immigrants used Halifax because it was one day shorter trip, and thus cheaper. Then they took a steamer to Duluth. Or a train. Philadelphia had direct train connections to Minneapolis, and then to Duluth.

Does anyone out there have a recommendation for searching Halifax Port of entry records? Or Philadelphia?

Who would she have been going to?? That might give us another name to check.

Regards,
Syrene

June Pelo
14-10-04, 18:02
Staffan Storteir has this webpage about emigration, including Canada:
http://sydaby.eget.net/swe/emi_ref.htm

And half way down the screen this refers to Halifax:
http://www.pier21.ca/

Cyndi's list has information:
http://www.cyndislist.com/portsentry.htm

Here are some websites that include Canada:
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/mtoll/immigr.htm

June

Karen Norwillo
14-10-04, 23:36
Synnöve, I checked with Delta County Genealogy Society, which encompasses Escanaba, MI, and found two entries for Emma Berg. Both are for marriages. I don't know if either or both could be the Emma you're looking for. The first is for a marriage of Emma Berg and John Hill on 25 Apr 1896, book 92. The second is for Emma Berg and John Carlson on 14 Oct 1902, book 180. The only way to see if this is your Emma is to have someone look at the actual record which would give birth date and place of origin. I have had good results with this society. You can find them at http://www.grandmastree.com/society. The records are housed at the Escanaba Public Library 400 Ludington Street Escanaba, MI 49829. The book number refers to the book in which the records are found. Karen

granskare
19-10-04, 18:55
Bethany Lutheran Church, Duluth, MN

married Jan 20, 1897:

John August Anderson, age 27 and
Emma M. E. Berg, age 22
residence: Midway, MN

If your Emma has those middle initials, this is probably her.

Chuck

smultrontid
11-04-05, 12:22
Thanks to all of you. I haven't yet got any information from Solf about other emmigrants... I'm still waiting...
Synnöve

smultrontid
15-04-05, 10:57
From Solf I have now information that Emma Jonasdotter Berg was Emma Jonasdotter Ahlnäs (she was not married) when she emigratred to USA, but who emigrated at the same time they didn't know.

Synnöve

smultrontid
26-04-05, 09:06
I have now checked Grandmastree.com, but neither Emma Berg found as married in Escanaba is not my Emma. Third possibility would be that she left Escanaba or Duluth very soon and went to Boston or some other place. My cousine remember that Boston also was said as her livingplace.
Emma´s father was Jonas Simon-Eriksson Berg (Ahlnäs when he married) and her mother was Anna Elisabeth Isaksdotter Hortans.
Synnöve

June Pelo
26-04-05, 17:57
Her ancestry is on Talko - see Ulla Höglund. And there are several sources for Hortans. Perhaps Ulla has more information about Emma?

June