PDA

View Full Version : Backman from Korsholm

urax
03-08-04, 19:43
Hi!

Does anybody have information about Josefina Fredrika Backman, born 10 January 1877 in Korsholm? She died in Seattle, but I don´t know when. I think she moved to Amerika 1911.

Thanks in advance!

Bye, Nina

Karen Norwillo
03-08-04, 21:50
Nina, I found Josefina Backman arriving 19 May 1911, as you thought. She was aboard the SS Mauritania out of Liverpool. Her destination was Seattle.She was apparently travelling with 3 others, all from Wasa, as there are brackets around the 4 entries. They were Maria S Holm, 31, nearest relative Gustaf Holm, father, Wasa, listed as servant..Josefina Backman, 33, sister (can't read first name) Mäkelä in Abo..Karolina E Holm, 34, sister Wilhelmina Wester, Brändö, Wasa and Matilda Stagnås, 19, father Johan Stagnås, Brändö, Wasa. The 3 were listed as typographers. They were going to a friend Sigrid Jansson? at 970 John St. Seattle, WA. From Ellis Island records.

Karen Norwillo
04-08-04, 01:10
Nina, Do you know if Josefina was in the US prior to 1911. I found another entry for a Josefina Backman on Ellis Island. She arrived 11 Apr 1902 aboard the SS Germanic from Mascino?, Finland. She was 20. Unfortunately, the wrong ships manifest displays, so I couldn't see the actual pages. Interestingly, there was also a Johan Stagnas, 32, married, from the same place. Wonder if this is Matilda's father? Maybe Josefina returned to Finland and then came back in 1911. Karen

urax
04-08-04, 16:32
Hello Karin!

Thanks so very much for your help! I think you can have right with the first one! It´s more right if you think about her age.
It seams very interesting! I have to look more about this!

Josefina Fredrikas parents names was Anders Mattsson Backman and Karolina Gustavsdotter Grönholm.

I wish I knew when she died.

Bye, Nina

urax
26-10-04, 16:47
Hello again!

Now I know that Josefina Fredrika Backman died 21 July 1961 in Seattle. Can anybody find something more about her?

Thanks!

Bye, Nina

urax
03-12-04, 19:17
Hello again!

I got this information from an Archive in Seattle:

A marriage between Josephine E. Backman and John Engblom took place on the 7th of February 1915. The ceremony
was performed by the Rev. J. H. Warnanen who was a pastor at the Swedish Finnish Evangelical Lutheran Church in Seattle.

I´m not sure if this is the Josefina I search for. If it was, her name was Josephine Engblom, as married.

How should I go on searching?

Bye,

Nina

granskare
15-12-04, 01:16
I found the marriage record at Swenson Swedish Immigration Center here in town:

at Emmaus Lutheran in Seattle.
Feb 2, 1915 John Englom the widower, age 49, was married to Josephne Fredrika Backman, age 37. Both of Seattle and of course Rev. H.J. Warmanen officiated.

Josefina Backman, 33 from a prior posting so this woman has got to be the same person, In 1911 she is 33 and now in 1915 she is 37!

I did notice some other Backman ppl so perhaps they are relatives:
Baptized is Vega Dorothea Backman, daughter of Lee and Johanna Backman.
Date of 8 Jan 1915 with birthplace New Castle, WA.

On a membership page is a guy named Einar Backman born 1917 in Seattle.

So this confirms what you found about the marriage. Maybe the ages of the pol will help pinpoint if they are your relatives.
mvh,
Chuck

urax
15-12-04, 16:44
Hi Chuck!

Thanks so very much! I´m very happy for your help!

Yes, it seams at it is "my" Josefina who married this John! I wasn´t sure before, but when you told me about the age of her when she was married, it nearly must be her!

I have help from a girl who try to look for obits in Seattle, but she couldn´t find some with Backman or Engblom. An obit should tell if there was some children in the family.

Thanks so much for your help, Chuck!

Mvh,

Nina

granskare
15-12-04, 18:59
I will be going to Swenson today again and I will see if I can find something in the obits there.

oops/ death in 1961 so no Swedish papers now - maybe somebody with access to Seattle newspapers of recent times can help.

Chuck

urax
15-12-04, 20:10
Hi Chuck!

If I should have know when John Engblom died, you maybe could have looked for him. But I don´t know when it was! He was older than Josefina, and probably he died before her.

I can´t find him in Ellis Island, so I don´t know if he was from Finland or from Sweden.

Mvh,

Nina

granskare
15-12-04, 22:39
It's a nationwide Chicago paper called Svenska Amerikansa Tribunen - something like that so I checked issues from just after death date of 21 July 1961 thru 23 August 1961.

I did not find anybody named Engblom so it will have to be an english language Seattle paper for that.

But I did find that Einar Backman who was born in 1917. He died 22 July 1961 at age of 43.

I also checked funeral listings at Emmaus Lutheran but unfortunately the list ended in the late 1950s.

Chuck

urax
16-12-04, 04:07
Thank you very much for looking in the newspapers, Chuck!

Mvh,
Nina

urax
17-12-04, 12:08
The girl who help me in Seattle, find a John Engblom buried in Crown Hill Cemetery in Seattle with the dates 1866-1918. If this is the same man, then they weren't married very long. But she still can't find Josefina in the 1920 census.

Maybe Josefina married again, after his death?!

Bye,

Nina

jeanette
18-12-04, 08:01
Hi Nina,

Crown Hill cemetery is in Ballard, King County, WA.

At the Find-A-Grave site you can search by surname and email the person who submitted the information if you think that is your John Engblom.
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi

Jeanette

granskare
18-12-04, 08:52
I have gotten my scanner software sorted out so this is the scan of that fotocopy for you.
He is 49 and a widower and she is 37 and the ceremony performed by Rev. John H. Warmanen.

Chuck

urax
18-12-04, 09:27
Thanks very much, Jeanette and Chuck!

I will write to the Archive in Seattle again, where I got the information that Josefina was married to this John Engblom. I will ask if Josephine Engblom was married after Johns death. Or is that something you can help with, Chuck? Can you find such informations?

Thanks for all your help!

Nina

jeanette
18-12-04, 10:00
Have you tried a search of the 1920 census just for Engblom rather than searching for Josephine Engblom in case there have been errors in the recording?

Jeanette

kpaavola
18-12-04, 13:29
Well, I tried the 1920 & 1930 census, even just searching for a Josefina born in 1877 or 1878 and nothing. I even tried all states, not just Washington.

Usually, what I've found to be true in cases like these is that the census taker misspelled the person's name and they won't show up with normal searches.

urax
18-12-04, 18:41
Thanks foryour answers, Kevin and Jeanette!

The girl i Seattle who also helps me, sent me this information today:

Was thinking if Josefina married the John Engblom who died in 1918, what did his family look like in the 1910 census, so looked it up. John Engblom and wife, Fredireke?, were living in Snohomish County, which is the county just North of King County where Seattle is. They had 5 children living with them, the younger ones being 8, 6, and 3 years old. I then wondered if this was the right John Engblom, what happened to the younger children when his wife died in 1913? Attached is the census page.

1910 > WASHINGTON > SNOHOMISH > ROOSEVELT PCT

Series: T624 Roll: 1669 Page: 55

Surname GivenName Age Sex Race Birthplace State County Location Year

ENGBLOM JOHN 50 M W SWED WA SNOHOMISH ROOSEVELT PCT 1910

So I searched for Engblom surnames in the 1920 census and found a Marjorie Engblom, age 13, as a stepdaughter, also in Snohomish County. The wife's name is Josephine!!!!! and be sure to check the immigration data.

1920 > WASHINGTON > SNOHOMISH > MEADOWDALE

Series: T625 Roll: 1939 Page: 92

Surname GivenName Age Sex Race Birthplace State County Location Year

KESTER LEWIS 41 M W IA WA SNOHOMISH MEADOWDALE 1920

I have copy it, that´s why it looks this way. Can you understand it? Maybe Josephine was married with this Lewis Kester?!

Bye,

Nina

urax
19-12-04, 11:19
Hello!

I just got this information:

Kester, Josephine
death place: Snohomish Co.
death date: 21 July 1921
certificate #: 170

Kester, Lewis N.
death place: Snohomish Co.
death date: 13 June 1926
certificate #: 203

It seams if I have got wrong death date from the parish in Finland for Josefina! They told me she died July 21 1961.
The girl who helps me in Seattle can´t find obits before 1960. Anybody who could?

I understand that it´s much possible that Josefina had no children of her own, she was young when she died! But IF she had, I would be so happy to find them or her grandchildren!

Bye,

Nina

jeanette
19-12-04, 13:53
Hi Nina,

At the Genealogical Society of Finland click on Immigration then United States then Indexes scroll down to Washington State nearly at the bottom you will find Death Certificates of Finns in Snohomish County.
http://www.genealogia.fi/emi/indexe.htm
I have pasted Josephines here for you. Lewis must not have been Finnish as I was not able to find a listing for him.

KESTER, JOSEPHINE -- Born January 10, 1879, Finland. Died July 21, 1921, Meadowdale, Wash. Cause of death: struck by G.N. train; accidental. Married. Father: Backmann (b. Finland). Mother: Graundhom (b. Finland). Informant: L. Kester, Meadowdale, Wash. Burial July 24, 1921, Evergreen Cemetery, Everett, Wash.

Best wishes
Jeanette

urax
19-12-04, 19:02
Hi Jeanette!

Thanks so very much for finding this for me! I´m so happy for your help!

This also tell me that this is really Josefina, I haven´t been really sure before. But when also the names of her mother and father is right so...! It´s so great!

Take care!

Best wishes,

Nina