07-08-04, 01:35
Heikkinen, Johnson, Hulkonen
Any insight...on Brothers, Sisters or Parents

My Grandfather:
Johan "Little John" Heikkinen
Born March 2, 1863 Suomussalmi. OU, Fi
to Juho ? & Elsa Kaisa ? (Seppanen) Heikkinen
Immigration to USA 1888
Married Fredriikka Valpuri ? Hiltunen July 11, 1893 at Tower, MN and the same year moved to Holmes City, Douglas Co, Minnesota, USA and lived there until his death on Sept 8, 1950

Unknown: One brother and two sisters...stayed in Finland!?? Halsinki?

Known sister:
Hilda (Heikkinen) Hulkonen
Born Aug 23, 1881
Muhus Parish, Fi
Immigration to USA (passport) Nov 19, 1903 #2112
Married Andrew (Rita/Anti) Hulkonen
Lived in Holmes City, Douglas Co, Minnesota, USA
Died Oct 31, 1977

Known sister:
Eva (Eeva) Liisa (Liffa) aka Nina S (Heikkinen) Johnson
Born Jan 7, 1885
Suomussalmi Parish, Fi (a crofter's daughter)
Immigration to USA (passport) Oct 27, 1902 #1746 issued by OU
Married Isaac Johnson Jr (Eva's 1st or 2nd cousin) on Nov 28,
1905 also of Holmes City...
Died Oct 1, 1979

thanks...

kpaavola
07-08-04, 18:04
Hi Reuben and welcome!

Have you seen this on HisKi? It seems to be the marriage record of your grandfather's parents. Of course, it would be wise to check against the church records. Since HisKi records end 1859 for births, you could order microfiche from the Mormon church and check for the family in the years post-1860.

Here's the marriage record from HisKi:
31.12.1860 Näljängä No:6 b.s. Joh. Joh.ss. Heikkinen pg. Elsa Joh.dr. Seppänen Näljängä No:3

Funny: it's the last day of the last year of the records on HisKi. How lucky is that? ;)

jeanette
08-08-04, 09:39
Hi Reuben,

Welcome to Sfhs.

I searched the Heritage Quest cd for 1910 (full title above) for
Douglas County, MN expecting to find all the Heads of Households for the families you mentioned however, it was not to be. This cd can be used like an index for the 1910 census for people born in Scandinavia. There were 1859 Scandinavians living in Douglas County

I found
HEIKKENEN John 52 b. Fin Douglas County, Lake Mary Twp, T624-roll #694, Part 2, page 22 B MN
???, ??? 47 b. blank Douglas Lake Mary Twp 694 2 22 A MN
Although Johns age is out by 5 yrs he is the only listing for Heik* for Douglas MN for 1910. MN has 23 Finnish born Heik* listings.
I also searched by H*k*n*n finding only
HOKANSON Andrew 52 b. SWE Douglas Ida Twp 694 2 8 B MN
who didn't look very likely.
HULKINEN Andrew 28 b. Fin St Louis Tower 722 2 95 b MN

Holmes Twp had only two Finnish listings
LAPPENAN Louis 49 Fin Douglas Holmes Twp 694 1 294 A MN
JOHNSON Jack 36 Fin Douglas Holmes Twp 694 1 295 A MN

There were a number of Finnish born Johnsons living in Moe Twp and this Isaac again Swedish
JOHNSON Isaac J 41 b. Swe Douglas Moe Twp 694 2 59 A MN

If Isaac Johnson or Andrew Hulkonen had been born in America they would not appear on the cd.

Have you tried the mnhs.org site?
http://people.mnhs.org/dci/Search.cfm
It has the Minnesota Death Index online which would pinpoint death dates for members of the families you mentioned. A search can be undertaken by county or the mothers maiden name (although many listings do not show this information) etc. There are a number of deaths for the name Gylsen with Heikkinen/enen listed as the mmn. Mnhs also offer obituary services.

The SSDI would tell you anyone who had SSN's issued in Minnesota.
Douglas County MN also has a Genealogical Society
http://www.rootsweb.com/~mndougla/dcgs.html

Hopefully something here is of help to you.

Jeanette

Another excellent site for MN is the Iron Range Research Centre
which has some cemetery listings,obituaries, Alien Registrations and Naturalizations once again searchable by county.
http://www.ironrangeresearchcenter.org/

The search page is found at
http://www.ironrangeresearchcenter.org/scripts/runisa.dll?IRRRB.132416:PROCESSSEARCH:312540947:.C KB

Reuben Heikkine
09-08-04, 02:06
Kevin...How did you find this information...I've been workin Hiski for months...over a year. Where is Näljangä ? In Oulu Province and Kajanaland Region? Village or Farm ? No:6 and No:3! I'm at a loose and dispointed I cannot find this...but very happy you did. Thank you! Can you help me? Does HisKi show any births or Christened dates of children?

I think I found Naljängä...on a 1798 map...north west territory by Suolijarvi...?

Thanks Again...keep it coming!

Reuben

Originally posted by kpaavola
Hi Reuben and welcome!

Have you seen this on HisKi? It seems to be the marriage record of your grandfather's parents. Of course, it would be wise to check against the church records. Since HisKi records end 1859 for births, you could order microfiche from the Mormon church and check for the family in the years post-1860.

Here's the marriage record from HisKi:
31.12.1860 Näljängä No:6 b.s. Joh. Joh.ss. Heikkinen pg. Elsa Joh.dr. Seppänen Näljängä No:3

Funny: it's the last day of the last year of the records on HisKi. How lucky is that? ;) :)

kpaavola
09-08-04, 13:54
Hi Reuben,
I just went to HisKi and clicked on Suomenssalmi, then marriages, guessing that maybe they got married before the church books end. One of the things I've found with HisKi searches that generally works well is to use fewer characters for the names. Specifically, to find this couple, I entered "Jo" for the man's name and "El" for the woman's name and narrowed the search to 10 years or so. You sometimes get many records, but initially that's where I'll start. If I don't find anything, I may even just search with just the first letter of each name. This works better for marriages. For births, I'll include a couple of letters for the father's patronymic and sometimes leave the wife's name blank.

I don't know exactly where this village is located within the parish. I tried checking a couple of online maps but couldn't find it. Maybe ones with more experience can expound on that concept. Have you checked this link? http://members.aol.com/DSSaari/guide.htm

On HisKi, there aren't any children's records for this couple since they end in 1859. You probably may have luck finding these individuals on HisKi if you believe they're the same ones your seeking.

Also, you might contact one of these individuals. They're listed as researchers for Suomenssalmi and specifically Seppanen. I've done this in the past and it was helpful. These names came from the genealogy of Finland website.

Genealogists
Juhani Juntunen, fil. maist., matem. aineiden opettaja. phone 040 565 8571, Kalevantie 36, 89800 Suomussalmi kk, juhani.juntunen%40edu.suomussalmi.fi, http://edu.suomussalmi.fi/~juju/.
Families: Huttu (Suomussalmi 1600-1900, Taivalkoski 1600-1900); Juntunen (Hyrynsalmi 1500-1900, Suomussalmi 1500-1900); Seppänen (Suomussalmi 1600-1900); Tauriainen (Suomussalmi 1500-1900).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Juhani Niskanen, tekn. lis., eläkkeellä. Järvenpää, juhani.e.niskanen%40luukku.com.
Families: Juutinen (Iisalmi); Mulari (Paltamo); Niskanen (Pielavesi); Seppänen (Suomussalmi).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tapani Oikarinen, myyjä. phone (08) 384 029, Ojatie 11, 91910 Tupos, tapani.oikarinen%40mail.suomi.net.
Families: Karjalainen (Kuusamo 1700); Kynsijärvi (Pudasjärvi n. 1700); Manninen (Pudasjärvi 1700); Määttä (Kuusamo 1700); Oikarinen (Suomussalmi n. 1750); Palosaari (Kuusamo 1700); Räisänen (Pudasjärvi n. 1700); Seppänen (Suomussalmi 1700); Tauriainen (Suomussalmi n. 1700); Törmänen (Kuusamo 1700).
Parish: Kuusamo; Suomussalmi; Taivalkoski.

Kaija Pietilä-Rasi, talouspäällikkö. phone (08) 557 1117, Parsitie 12, 90240 Oulu, kaija.pietila-rasi%40elbit.fi.
Families: Kokko (Utajärvi); Laukkanen (Kiuruvesi); Mannila (Oulu); Nokela (Siikajoki); Nousiainen (Rantsila); Paakkola (Rantsila); Paakkonen (Rantsila); Pietilä (Revonlahti); Pukkinen (Rantsila); Rasi (Rantsila); Saarela (Rantsila); Seppänen (Suomussalmi); Äijälä (Rantsila).
Farms: Alatalo (Suomussalmi, Saarikylä); Lassi (Suomussalmi, Saarikylä); Tervola (Suomussalmi, Saarikylä); Ylitalo (Suomussalmi, Saarikylä).

Duane Timo. USA, ninemm%40charter.net.
Families: Jänkälä; Kuusijärvi; Seppänen (Suomussalmi 1820-1850); Timola (Haukipudas Kello 1810); Timonen (Pudasjärvi 1840).

In checking HisKi for Johan and Elsa, I think you're going to have to order the films from the Mormon church to trace them back further. There seem to be too many options to be sure which ones are the correct records for those individuals.

Hope this helps! :)