PDA

View Full Version : Looking for ancesters of american immigrants, Warn, or Varn, Leif, and Washberg or va

finlander
14-09-03, 16:09
I'm trying to find out where the Warns came from. I believe around Stockholm, but not sure. I was told that somewhere in the mid 1800's, that one warn worked as a groomsman for the king of Sweden. Am also looking for family members and where they came from by the name (american spelled and pronounced)Washberg, Vashberg, Wasburg, Vasburg, etc. Also, am looking for a family by the name of Leif, possibly changed from Gustafson, Gustavson, they often married finnish people, this particular Leif, married a Finn by the name of Anna Stahl. All of these Swedes immigrated to Western New York State, I believe all in the last part of the 20th century. Thanks so much in Advance.
Wendy Town

Re: looking for ancesters of american immigrants, Warn, or Varn, Leif, and Washberg or vasberg by Karen Norwillo

Wendy, My paternal greatgrandmother was Greta Lisa Gustafsdotter Wärn, born 21 Nov.1847 in Esse, Finland.Her father was Gustaf Simonsson Wärn, born 27 Sept.1822 in Esse. They were Swede-Finns.Karen

Re: Re: looking for ancesters of american immigrants, Warn, or Varn, Leif, and Washberg or vasberg by Wendy Town

Karen,
Thank you so much for your reply, I don't know if we can make a connection or not, but this is what I have:
Peter P. Warn and Christina Johanson Warn came in the spring of 1873 from ???in Sweden. Peter was born in 1818, the oldest of six children. They claim that several generations back, they were of Russian royalty descent, and the Russian nobleman gave up his title to marry a swedish commoner? Peter and Christina had P. John Warn, Gustaf Adolf Warn, my great great grandfather, Anna Catherine Warn, S. Mary Warn, Martha Augusta Warn, Charles Warn, Andrew M., Augustine, Emma and Helena Sofia. They moved to Chautauqua County New York and were farmers, I'm sure atleast until the depression hit. There is a very large swedish population in Chautauqua County for whatever reason, I guess good farm land. I am having a difficult time with name translations, etc. to trace this family and the Washbergs and Leifs back to where they came from. I do know that the Leifs married many finnish people, and in particular the Stahls came from Portom Finland, but I can only guess so far as to the others. Thanks, if you can find a connection to the two of us, that would be great. These darn swedes kept such good records once they came here, but not once mentioned exactly where they came from...

Re: Looking for ancesters of american immigrants, Warn, or Varn, Leif, and Washberg or vasberg by June Pelo

I have many Wärn names from Esse, Finland. There was a Gustaf Adolf Mattsson Wärn, b. 1866 in Kronoby, married 1885 in Esse to Emma Elisabet Johansdotter Paasiala. They had a son Johan Arthur, b. 1891 who went to Telluride, CA and married there. He died 1974 in Alameda, CA. None of the Wärn names I have are linked to Russian royalty. The Ståhl name is found in Kronoby in great numbers and some are found in Terjärv.
June Pelo