PDA

View Full Version : Translation of "redd" - Bengt Beckman

Sandy Witt
26-08-04, 02:27
Dear helpful Finlander Forum members,

I have a translation question. One of my ancestors - Bengt Beckman - immigrated to Finland from Sweden in 1772, where he was a soldier in Närpes. A genealogy for him by Karl-Olaf Reinlund states that his cause of death was “Död 06.07.1788 på Sveaborgs redd.”

My question: What is the English translation of “redd”?

According to the online Swedish-English dictionary that I use frequently - http://lexikon.nada.kth.se/cgi-bin/swe-eng - the translation of REDD is

Swedish entry word
redd [red:] redden redder noun
ankringsplats utanför hamn
English translation
roadstead, roads

This doesn’t make sense to me (at least not in American English).

I appreciate any suggestions!

Sandy Johnson Witt
Gainesville, Florida

sune
26-08-04, 09:47
Dear Sandy

"redd" means the area just outside a harbour where ships anchor for instance when they wait for a vacant place at the dock.

Sveaborg is a fort just outside Helsingfors and it was a big naval base in the 18th century. It seems that Bengt Beckman died there. He could have met with an accident aboard a ship, he might have drowned, och he could have gotten ill, which was not uncommon among naval personnell at that time.

Sune

Sandy Witt
26-08-04, 14:32
Sune,

Thank you for your explanation of "redd" and the historical information about Sveaborg.

It is possible that there is no word in English that is equivalent to the word "redd" in Swedish. I thought that there might be a nautical term.

I also appreciate your suggestions about what might have caused his death. I have wondered how he might have died "på Sveaborgs redd" - but will probably never know.

Sandy

P-E Berglund
26-08-04, 18:51
Hello

The nautical term for swedish "redd" is Roads, like Hampton Roads

regards
Per-Erik

Sandy Witt
26-08-04, 19:23
Per-Erik,

Thank you for the translation.

That was how the online dictionary I use translated "redd" (roadstead or roads), but I thought that it might be a British-English term or incorrect. Evidently, it was correct after all.

Thanks for the clarification.

I learn so much from the wonderful people in this forum.

Sandy