PDA

View Full Version : JOHN ERICK JOHNSON born April 23, 1886 in Malax or Solf, Finland by Claire Johnson

finlander
14-09-03, 15:21
My grandfather, John Erick Johnson, born April 23, 1886 in Malax or Solf, Finland emigrated to the USA sometime before 1917. He and my grandmother (Hilda Mattfolk, born February 8, 1886 in Korsnas.) are believed to have met in Eureka, California where she worked in a hospital with her younger sister, Anna. My grandparents married in Portland, Oregon in 1917. My father, Clarence Evald Johnson, was born in Portland on February 4, 1919. My grandparents returned to Finland briefly, where my aunt Dagny was born in 1923. Instead of returning to the USA, my grandparents emigrated to Canada sometime before my uncle was born in British Columbia in 1929.
I would like to establish when(and how) my grandfather arrived in the US, when(and how) he returned to Finland and when he left Finland for Canada. I would also like to establish contact with his relatives (my relatives) in Finland.

Re: JOHN ERICK JOHNSON born April 23, 1886 in Malax or Solf, Finland by Ulla Höglund

Have you heard any other family name than Johnson? I suppose that your grandfather changed his original family name after the arrival in the USA. By the family names you can usually guess from which parish people come. If you don't get any answer from anybody else, I'll have a look at the birth date both in Solf and in Malax when I go the archives. Busy time in the garden now so it will take some days.
Ulla Höglund

Re: Re: JOHN ERICK JOHNSON born April 23, 1886 in Malax or Solf, Finland by Claire Johnson

I have heard the name "Erickus" referring to my grandfather but do not know what the spelling would be.That may not be a last name,but rather a middle name.
My grandfather had three sisters (at least) and no brothers, as I understand. The sisters were Gustava,Elisabeth and Sophie.(no idea how to correctly spell these!) His sister Gustava married a Qvist and her two sons, Gus and Erik, emigrated to Canada after serving in the war with Russia c. 1918. At least 2 of my great aunts lived to be older than 100 years.
Johan Erik Johansson ERKUS, born April 23, 1887 by Claire Johnson

Thanks to Ulla for finding my grandfather's name in birth records in Malax. Now I have a starting point!

Re: JOHN ERICK JOHNSON born April 23, 1886 in Malax or Solf, Finland by Chuck Maki

Mattfolk Hilda Maria Korsnäs
http://www.migrationinstitute.fi/migration/ml/index_e.html
Hi Christine,
I was just trying Hilda's name at the migration institute website
and actually found a person of the same name, from the same town
but with a birthyear of 1883. What a coincidence!
btw, if you think your relatives attended a Swedish church,
let me know because I might be able to find something for you at
the Swenson Center here in Rock Island.
Chuck