PDA

View Full Version : Paavo Nurmi

June Pelo
09-09-04, 01:11
A while ago there was a discussion about Paavo Nurmi. The Sept. issue of The Finnish American Reporter has an interesting article about him and his track records. It mentions that his most dramatic feat was winning the 1,500 and 5,000-meter races with less than an hour between the two. During his active career of 20 years he won 9 Olympic gold medals and 3 silver medals. I can remember my father talking about "The Flying Finn." Nurmi was also referred to as "The Phantom Finn," and "The Finnish Running Marvel.".

June

Gwenda
10-09-04, 17:06
Thanks June for the information. It was my thread that started the discussion about Paavo Nurmi (Sibelius and Other Famous Finns) some time back. Interesting to hear of his great achievements in athletics. Also great to see you well and truly back on line with us again after all you have been through recently. :D

June Pelo
10-09-04, 17:34
Thanks, Gwenda. We're safe for a few days, but with Ivan headed this way I don't know what my situation will be next week. Just had an offer from someone on the Net to evacuate to his home in the Panhandle of Florida - but there's no guarantee that the storm won't head that way. So I guess I'll wait it out here and hope for the best. There's nothing much more the storm can do except take the rest of my roof and smash more windows - the trees are already blown down.

June

Gwenda
10-09-04, 22:08
My very best wishes to you June in the wake of Hurricane Ivan. My thoughts and prayers are with you once again. All the very best

Karen Norwillo
11-09-04, 02:02
June, You're always welcome in my home in PA. I'll be praying for you all. We have relatives all over FL. Karen

June Pelo
11-09-04, 19:50
Thank you, Karen, There are millions of people who want to evacuate and there is only one route north out of Florida on the west coast - Interstate 75 and it will be one giant parking lot when everyone leaves. Because our town is so close to sea level and subject to flooding, everyone is advised to evacuate by Sunday. About 1000 people in nursing homes here are being flown to Alabama for safe keeping. There's a severe shortage of gas - refineries won't ship down here as long as there is storm danger and the port of Tampa is closed, so people who don't have gas are out of luck. There haven't been 3 major hurricanes to strike Florida like this since 1847, so it's a record-breaking year. Home Depot sold 600 sheets of plywood in 30 minutes - the line of people waiting to buy it stretches all over the parking lot and then winds all through the store - many people have waited 5 hours to get some. People are buying generators right off the trucks as the trucks are brought in from other parts of the state.

June

George Eckholm
12-09-04, 06:03
Come on out to Oregon, Only a lite,rain 60degrees and .the Barometer is going up.:) :) :)

George Eckholm

kpaavola
12-09-04, 16:17
Originally posted by June Pelo
port of Tampa is closed,

Home Depot sold 600 sheets of plywood in 30 minutes - the line of people waiting to buy it stretches all over the parking lot and then winds all through the store - many people have waited 5 hours to get some.

Had to add to what you mentioned above. On the east coast of Florida in Port Canaveral (near Kennedy Space Center) the Port normally has a depth of 41 feet. Hurricane Frances dumped tons of sand in the Port and after the storm, the new depth was 27 feet! That's 14 feet of sand. In a way it's good as hurricanes have a tendency to erode the shoreline. At least in northern Brevard county, Frances added sand to the shoreline. I've heard there was serious beach erosion further south.

As for Home Depot, my poor wife arrived at one near us at 2pm to buy plywood and screws. She got home with the supplies at 10:15pm! Over 8 hours waiting! Then just after she got into the store, the manager announced to the people still waiting outside (my wife estimated 500 ppl) that they had run out of wood. A couple of men with frayed nerves got into a fight with the manager, the police showed up, the store was closed and everyone still waiting in line were sent home. Apparently similar stories were told at other hardware stores in the area of fights and long lines.

Now the police are suggesting that people chain/lock down their generators as some people are going around trying to steal them from back yards. Looting has been a problem right after the storm as well.

This time it appears we'll be spared the brunt of Ivan. It looks like it'll brush the coast and hit the northern part of Florida called the panhandle. We're staying prepared though, because just like Charley did, these storms can take a quick turn. Ivan has already had reported wind gusts of over 200mph! :eek:

kpaavola
12-09-04, 16:18
June, you could always come to Orlando if you feel threatened by Ivan. Come the back roads and stay off I75/I4.

Of course, Oregon sounds pretty good right now too! :)

June Pelo
12-09-04, 18:14
Thanks for all the invitations to evacuate - but the latest news indicates the storm has moved a bit west and if it stays on that course, it would spare us from hurricane winds, but we'd still have some wind and rain. Our entire city was ordered to evacuate yesterday, but now only people in low-lying areas and in mobile homes have to leave. There is an article in the paper about a man who recently moved here from New Jersey who commented about how civilized people are here about waiting in line for plywood, etc. He said that if people in NJ had to wait 5 hours for plywood they would have rioted and got into fights. But here people just waited patiently in line, even after being told the supply ran out. They decided to wait to see if another truckload would come in. There have been no fights or disruptions around here.

Just got an e-mail from a relative in Sweden asking about our situation. And yesterday I had an e-mail from a friend in Sweden who wrote that she couldn't sleep because she was so worried about us here with another hurricane barreling along - she thought people in Florida must be fatalists to live here.

The weather bureau indicated Ivan had strengthened to a category 5 hurricane and that it was stronger than Andrew was. It could be the strongest hurricane to hit the US - only 3 category 5 storms have been recorded.

June
:eek: