PDA

View Full Version : Yeeeh Hah!!

Gwenda
13-09-04, 00:05
Last night my husband and I went to a good old fashioned "Barn Dance" for only the second time in our lives. Although we left the dancing to the younger generation (I would have loved to have jigged around but hubby is a non-dancer) we still had a great time, toe-tapping and watching the dancers. There was an extremely tasty hog roast and many calorie-filled desserts to add to the festivities. This one was held in a huge barn which normally houses 40 or more tractors but was emptied and cleaned up for the barn dance. While I have been sitting here reading Finlander messages, I started wondering whether Finland/Sweden has anything similar to barn dances. I know the US does. Why I should wonder that is anybody`s guess, but just thought I`d ask.:o

Skip Sunnell
21-09-04, 02:37
I don't know about Sweden or Finland, but sure can recollect many a Grange Hall dance in Palisade, Minnesota. All it took was an excuse of some sort (anniversary, wedding, crops in, or whatever. Winter dances at -40 Farenheit I remember where it didn't take very long to use the out house (if it was used at all). Families brought their kids, their instruments, food, and beverages. This was my mother's country.

I don't remember seeing "barn dances" on the West Coast though (Skagit County, Washington) where my father's side lived. We did play music in-house amongst the family however.

When living in Alaska, my wife and I often hosted Sunday potlucks where those who played instruments brought theirs and we "jammed" after dinner. Being so far away from immediate family, we sort of adopted family there and became very close. The weather and geography also added a lot, making it very special. We are still close to many of our friends there even though we have moved to Maine.

I do remember the floor stomping Schottish and Polkas (and a lot of sweat)

Skip

Gwenda
21-09-04, 16:42
Thanks for replying Skip. Those dances and musical evenings sounded great fun.

Kerstin
21-09-04, 21:02
Yes, we have barn dances in Sweden too. In Swedish it is called "logdans". Loge=barn and dans=dance.