PDA

View Full Version : Swedish Finn churches

syrene
05-11-04, 19:58
SFHS has been contacted by Olympia's Gloria Dei Lutheran church (Washington State) for anything archived here about the Swedish Finn Lutheran Church started back in the late 1800's by immigrants from Swedish-speaking Finland. Letters home to Finland describing the founding of the church by 29 Swedish Finns, anything in the 125 years since would be of interest. Especially photos. And most especially a photograph of the first Sewing Circle which raised the money for the lot and building. It has gone through a name change in the last 60 years, but was originally Swedish Finn evangelical Lutheran Church.
Thanks so much!
Syrene Forsman

granskare
06-11-04, 01:29
WA THURSTON OLYMPIA GLORIA DEI LUTHERAN CHURCH L 1905 PNW-4
HIST-1930;MINS'05-36;MEMB'05-44;M/A'12-45
WA THURSTON OLYMPIA SWEDISH-FINNISH LUTH CHURCH

The above is a copy/paste of the Swenson holdings for GD. That history just might have some fotos - but if the church has the original history booklet, that is much better.

Chuck

syrene
06-11-04, 01:53
Hi Chuck,
Can you please expand the contracted words in the titles? I'll be happy to forward your information, so the pastor can go down in the basement and search their boxes:)

The materials may well have some photos. Are they books? Or more likely brochures?

Thanks,
Syrene

granskare
06-11-04, 02:20
WA THURSTON OLYMPIA GLORIA DEI LUTHERAN CHURCH L 1905 PNW-4
HIST-1930;MINS'05-36;MEMB'05-44;M/A'12-45
WA THURSTON OLYMPIA SWEDISH-FINNISH LUTH CHURCH

WA = Washington :)
L = Lutheran
PNW-4 = microfilm id at Swenson
HIST = they have some kind of history, probably a booklet based on what I have seen elsewhere. The church is listed as being organized in 1905 so the 1930 history is likely a 25th anniversary booklet.
MINS = minutes of church council meetings
MEMB = members names/data
M/A = ministerial acts such as baptisms, confirmations, marriages, funerals.

If the pastor has a copy of the history booklet, that would be very nice and give a lot of what is desired and it will cover the first 25 years.
I can take a look at what Swenson has the next time I am able to get down there to do so.
Chuck

syrene
06-11-04, 07:43
Your notes give a good idea of what they can look for. Let's let the congregation do a little more digging before you spend your time back at Swenson's. Thanks a lot!
Syrene