PDA

View Full Version : Lotta Svaird/Svärd

Alicia
12-11-04, 17:11
I have bought a few of the above items . I have a booklet titled
Lotta Svaird and her companies by Johan Ludvig Runeberg
English version by Anna Krook 1920. It nicely translates Runebergs poem and give a brief explanation in English about the work that they do. From all accounts, Anna Krook was the first organizer of the Lotta Svärd movement .
I was forced to "clean" out my mounds of books and magazines etc. by the fact that my husband bought me a huge bookcase. :O)
My g.grandmothers Bible takes up one shelf surrounded by other Finnish bibles I have rescued.I even managed to find an old Laestadian bible! I have not seen one before. I have 3 hours to
decided what to keep. My packrat side tells me to hide it in a closet! (heehee) I can now see the top of my desk and my drawers are almost empty.
Are the Svärd booklets common? I was once told that Finland was forced to destroy those Svärd items as per agreement with Russia at the end of the war. Perhaps it was Hasse that told me that?
Alicia
:D

Hasse
12-11-04, 18:08
Checked the Helsingfors library system and only one book is listed within the huge collection of books in the whole greater Helsingfors area. Seems like the book is quite rare.

Alicia
12-11-04, 18:19
Thanks Hasse. Because of the spelling on Svaird it was found only be me...for a change.
I may consider donating it. The cover is loose from the pages but quite intact and in good shape.
Alicia

Paivi T
12-11-04, 22:06
The Lottamuseo, or Lotta Svärd Museum, is located in Tuusula, near the Tuusula Lake, only some 10 km from where I live. It's a lovely place, with lots of Lotta-related things and info on display. And one of the best cafés around, with home-baked buns and whatnot... Our absolute favourite "pit stop" on our bike-rides around the Tuusula Lake!

The museum is online at www.lottamuseo.com. The texts are in Finnish only, but the pics on the various pages are well worth a look.

Päivi T

syrene
13-11-04, 04:43
Lotta is memorialized with a large granite stone and brass plaque in Oravais, near the battlefield where the event took place. There is also a large monument on a stone hilltop overlooking the battlefield, with an inscription dedicated to all who died there, raised within decades of the battle and preserved today. Below that hilltop stands a memorial to the unknown soldier. On the clearing in the pine woods above the battlefield, a restoration is going on. A large log building, the Furirstugan, has been raised where lectures and meetings are held in one end, and luncheons can be served in the other end. Between the two large rooms lies the kitchen. Every room is decorated with period items, and the food served is from the era as well. Once a year, the Österbottens regiment leads a memorial service at the spot. This locale is their headquarters. The group is led by two teachers from the area. All the volunteers seem to enjoy their project, and are well instructed in the period, wearing costumes typical of the era. The second story has the museum materials on display.

I would suggest Lotta Svärd material be donated to that museum.

They have a number of excellent books for sale, and a video which presents the losing battle to keep Finland from Russia.

Regards,
Syrene