Anyone familiar with this surname?

sassy515

Gunnar Damström
23-11-04, 05:36
The 2002 Helsinki phone directory has ten listings under Vallila

Gunnar

granskare
23-11-04, 06:34
Did he immigrate to a town and county in the UP?

Chuck Maki, yooper born:)

jeanette
23-11-04, 12:17
I found 3 listings for Wallila in the 1910 US Census. Gust age 50 in Allouez MI and two in MT.
The Genealogical Society of Finland Index
Death Certificates of Finns in Clatsop County also lists 3.

Jeanette

granskare
23-11-04, 19:45
I would say, if he did join, you could find something in the Finnish archives in Hancock.
Chuck

sassy515
23-11-04, 21:58
Originally posted by Gunnar Damström
The 2002 Helsinki phone directory has ten listings under Vallila

Gunnar

Is Wallila the Americanization of Vallila?

sassy

sassy515
23-11-04, 22:02
Originally posted by granskare
Did he immigrate to a town and county in the UP?

Chuck Maki, yooper born:)

Say ya to da UP, eh? I was raised in Iron River and recently returned in retirement. Gust Wallila and some family members were in Jacobsville in the 1890's, then moved to Phelps, Vilas County, Wisconsin. Haven't found Gust's birthplace or siblings.

sassy

sassy515
23-11-04, 22:05
Originally posted by jeanette
I found 3 listings for Wallila in the 1910 US Census. Gust age 50 in Allouez MI and two in MT.
The Genealogical Society of Finland Index
Death Certificates of Finns in Clatsop County also lists 3.

Jeanette

I had found Gust in the 1910 census, also the 1900 in Jacobsville. I don't know about the Montana connection. Haven't had any luck in that arena. If I could find Gust's birthplace and siblings I could get a good start on this. Keep running in deadends.

sassy

sassy515
23-11-04, 22:08
Originally posted by granskare
I would say, if he did join, you could find something in the Finnish archives in Hancock.
Chuck

I'm not sure of his church affiliates. I want to get to the Michigan Tech Archives in Houghton, which may hold something about the entire Copper Country of Michigan. I'm quite sure they (his family) worked in the copper mines when he first came over. Maybe his naturalization papers would give me more infor. Sure hope so.

sassy

granskare
23-11-04, 23:29
http://www.rootsweb.com/~mihought/

lots of stuff on Finns here so maybe?

Chuck

jeanette
22-12-04, 03:53
Death Certificates of Finns in Clatsop County, Oregon, circa 1905-1944
WALLILA, ANNA W. -- Born June 3, 1865, Finland. Died Nov. 10, 1933, Knappa, Ore. Wife of John W. Wallila. Burial at Knappa, Ore.
WALLILA, ARVI OLAVI -- Born June 3, 1912, Finland. Died Jan. 16, 1921. Cause of death: general tuberculosis; meningitis. Usual residence Mayger, Ore. Student. Father: Oskar A. Wallila (b. Finland). Mother: Anna Koski (b. Finland). Burial at Mayger, Ore.
WALLILA, JOHN OSCAR -- Age 40, born in Finland. Died Oct. 7, 1931, Knappa, Ore. Husband of Anna. Farmer. Burial at Greenwood Cemetery.
1910 census listings
WALLILA,OIVA A,19,M,WHITE,FINLAND,CHOUTEAU,SCHOOL DIST 15,830,2,187,B,MT
WALLILA,BETTIE,19,F,WHITE,FINLAND,CARBON,WILLOW CRK SCHOOL DIST,829,1,224,A,MT

Jeanette

granskare
22-12-04, 04:04
Jacobsville (Houghton Co.) - Apostolic ("Lutheran")
A Heideman group left the church. Dissolved in 1945.
[Source: Saarnivaara 1947, p. 237 & 325]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Archival Sources:
Finnish-American Historical Archives, Hancock
[Unknown which Apostolic Lutheran church]

Jacobsville - Apostolic ("Heideman")
A Heideman group left the Apostolic ("Lutheran") church and founded a church of their own.
[Source: Saarnivaara 1947, p. 237]

Jacobsville - Suomi Synod
Finnish Evangelical Lutheran Church
[Source: RW]

I found these on the gen soc of Finland website.
No Swedish churches there. If Tech doesn't do it, the Finnish center should have something. If they didn't go to church, they did take the kids to be baptized and to be confirmed.
Good luck,

Chuck

jenknutsen
19-02-07, 12:08
:D I am new to actually giving out information, I am usually trying to locate my finish relatives- to no avail. Anyway, I have a great uncle who has a last name of Wallila. He lives in Woodland, Washington. He was married to my aunt Marjorie Wilson who passed away a couple years ago.
His father Oiva Alexander Wallila- born 1 May 1864 in Kaustinen, Vassa, Finland...married Eleanor Jarvie born 6 Oct 1902 in Red Lodge, Carbon, Montana.
Oiva's Father- Matt Walilla born 4 Nov 1864 in Veteli, Vassa, Finland...married Anna Puumala born on 22 Nov 1868 in Kaustinen, Vassa, Finland.
Matt's father- Henrik Gustof Granhola married Maja Lisa Wallila

Anna's father- Heikki Johansson Puumala born 1 May 1824 in Kaustinen, Vassa, Finland- married Anna Lisa Koskela born 23 June 1830 in Kaustinen, Vassa, Finland.
Heikki's father Johan Hendrikssen Puumala married Brita Abrahamsdttr Neimisalo born 15 Dec 1802 in Kaustinen, Vassa, Finland.
Brita's father Abraham Ericsson Neimisalo married Greta Andersdr Kaustinen born in Kaustinen, Vassa, Finland.

I hope I din't go overboard. I have marriage info and death info along with children for each. Let me know if you would like anything else. :cool:

If you run across a Petter S. Huttunen (12 April 1858) or a Anna Karhunen (4 Jan 1866 or 72) from Finland let me know.....Thanx