PDA

View Full Version : Cousins in Jakobstad Finland

Don Molvik
30-11-04, 15:49
In August 2004 we visitied the people and places of my parents and our grandparents in Sweden, Finland and Norway. Very successful trip! Don's grandfather was the first of six brothers to emigrate to America. I had been doing research on Don's maternal grandfather in Vasa Province Finland and two weeks before we left on our trip we received a letter from the Pedesore Parish in Jakobstad with a family history for Don's grandfather showing the grandfather's youngest brother's family still living in Jakobstad. With help from Syrene (SFHS) we embarked on our trip to find our cousins. We traveled through Sweden visiting my cousins and then took a ferry from Umea Sweden to Vasa Province. After arriving in Vasa I called from my cell phone to Jakobstad and found our first cousin! With the help of an english speaking neighbor we made arrangements to meet at an ESSO station a short distance from where we were. Lo and behold three carloads of "cousins" had come to greet us. We had four glorious days with six cousins and their families. We were welcomed into their homes and hearts with open arms. One cousin lives on the family farm and the other remaining cousins live in the Jakobstad area. Then back to Umea to find the Molvik Family Farm on the Artic Circle in Norway.