PDA

View Full Version : Hello to Everyone

Claire
01-09-03, 01:27
Greetings to all!

I live in British Columbia, Canada. I was raised in Langley, B.C. in a small community of Swedish-Finn. My grandparents were Swede-Finn. My Grandmother was born in Korsnas (Hilda Alina Mattfolk) and my Grandfather was born in Sundom (Johan Erik Johansson Erkus). They met and married in Portland, Oregon in 1917 and my father, their firstborn, arrived in 1919. The family returned to Finland sometime before my aunt was born in Finland in 1923. Immigration laws in the U.S. changed about that time so the family was not able to return to the U.S. and came instead to Canada sometime before my uncle was born in British Columbia, Canada in 1929.
I'm sorry to say that I do not read, speak or write Swedish. It is only this year that I began to contact my grandparents' families in Finland. Leo Hallbeck kindly forwarded my grandfather's family tree to me through Ulla Hoglund. I am hoping that someone has a family tree started for my grandmother's family.
As we have two teenagers, it is my hope that our children will gain a new appreciation for their heritage in what I can learn.