PDA

View Full Version : Lassila/Heitala

June Pelo
07-01-05, 21:52
I have a request for help from someone searching for his grandmother's family "somewhere in Finland". All he knows is that Anders Elis Lassila was born 8 Jan 1885 in Finland (he thinks near the border of Sweden and Finland) and he came to the US in 1905 and died 24 Nov 1956 in Aberdeen, WA. He married Ina, b. 17 Feb 1885 in Finland, d. 30 Nov 1966 in WA. She was a seamstress in Aberdeen and Hoquiam. I did some searching on HisKi and found a Petter Heittala, b. 21 Aug 1836 in Sahalahti who could be Ina's father. But there isn't much more in Sahalahti records that can be searched. I couldn't find any birth record for an Ina in 1885 on HisKi.

Anders Elis (called Eli) Lassila had a cousin John Hannula who had a fish packing operation in Aberdeen and Anders kept his fishing boat there. Anders Lassila had a daughter Ellen, b. ca 1915 in Aberdeen who married Glenn Godfrey Smith.

If anyone knows anything about these people or has any suggestions, I'd appreciate hearing them.

Thanks,

June

jeanette
19-01-05, 09:02
Hi June,

On the Heritage Quest cd Scandinavians in the 1910 US Federal Census I found
HANNULA,JOHN,47,M,W,FINL,CHEHALIS,2-WD ABERDEEN,1653,2, 53,A,WA
LASSITA,ELI,25,M,W,FINL,CHEHALIS,1-WD ABERDEEN, 1653,2, 11, A,WA

A relative?
LASSILA,MARY,19,F,W,FINL,CHEHALIS,5-WD ABERDEEN,1653,2, 132, A,WA

I didn't see John on the Death Certificates of Finns in Grays Harbor County, Washington, 1907-1947 list.

Jeanette

June Pelo
19-01-05, 20:38
Thank you, Jeanette. I'll pass the data along.

June

Sanna H
05-10-15, 17:14
I have a request for help from someone searching for his grandmother's family "somewhere in Finland". All he knows is that Anders Elis Lassila was born 8 Jan 1885 in Finland (he thinks near the border of Sweden and Finland) and he came to the US in 1905 and died 24 Nov 1956 in Aberdeen, WA. He married Ina, b. 17 Feb 1885 in Finland, d. 30 Nov 1966 in WA. She was a seamstress in Aberdeen and Hoquiam.

If anyone knows anything about these people or has any suggestions, I'd appreciate hearing them.

I found some old letters here in Finland written by Ina Lassila, Aberdeen WA. When I search her I noticed that she was my grandmother's aunt. I'm interested to find Ina's descendants in USA because I have some unidentified photographs and I think that Ina could have sent some of them. Thank you for help!

Sanna H

June Pelo
05-10-15, 23:58
I believe it was Glenn Gerald Smith... he was a grandson of Ina.. but Glenn died in 2012. He had a son named Glenn Gregory Smith, but so far I haven't been able to locate him. He also had a daughter Debbera Coker.. don't know if I'll be able to locate her. If I find out anything, I'll post it here.

Sanna H
06-10-15, 11:30
Thanks June! I also found Glenn Gerald Smith's obituary. He had even visited in Finland. Sad, I'm little too late. But thank you. By the way, Ina's parents were Heikki Hietala (Äijälä) and Anna Matilda (b. Justell, Aunola) from Palonkylä village that belongs in Raahe city nowadays. If somebody is searching them here.

June Pelo
06-10-15, 16:53
Glenn Gerald had a son Glenn Gregory, but I haven't been able to locate him. There was also a daughter Debbera who married a man named Coker.. they live in Shelton, Washington. I found her on Facebook and tried to contact her, but haven't heard from her. I will send you a private message with her address, etc.

Sandie
06-10-15, 22:02
You need to look at Chehalis County, Washington (which was Grays Harbor County until it was split and renamed) for the information. There are so many Lassila's in Finns Who Died in Washington State, Chehalis county I don't know if they are all one family or not. There are also a couple of Hannula in Chehalis County and Grays Harbor County, Washington. There was a cross over of the county names as they changed them. Here is the web for Finns Who Died in Washington State Chehalis County http://www.genealogia.fi/emi/emi3d20v7e.htm You can also go online to sos.wa.gov (Secretary of State for Washington) click on Archives, next page click on Digital records and fill in the blanks. There is the name of Lassila and Hannula

Sandie

Sanna H
07-10-15, 15:32
Thank you Sandie! I think I'll try to contact Ina's descendants by a letter first because that Hietala family is the same as mine. But if it doesn't work, maybe someone of Elis Lassila's relatives could know something of Ina.