PDA

View Full Version : Sund, Robert

syrene
08-01-05, 07:34
Robert Sund, died 2001 in Anacortes WA, was considered Washington state's poet laureat at his death. He was born to Swedish Finn parents in Olympia WA Nov. 29, 1929, and adopted by Evert and Elsa Sund, living along the Elwa River in Grays Harbor County. Evert had immigrated from Sundomby, Solf, Finland, in 1913, along with his mother, Ida, and siblings. I haven't found Evert's father, John, on Ellis Island yet. Robert's poet friends had heard the word Åland, and Robert spoke fluent Swedish, even translating some of Rabbe Enkell's poetry. He was also very artistic, with works hanging in various galleries in Northwestern Washington state (La Conner for example).
I would very much appreciate any additional information, in order to assemble an article for the SFHS Quarterly.
Thanks, Syrene

jeanette
08-01-05, 08:24
Hej Syrene,
Did you try a google search for the name Robert Sund. I had more than ten pages of results.
This site has a biography with pictures.
http://www.poetshousetrust.org/bio.cfm
This site is a magazine issue focussing on him.
http://www.kingfisherpress.com/Sund_Issue.htm
This review mentions a little of his life.
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/books/203086_book10.html

Hope these are helpful
Jeanette

syrene
08-01-05, 17:12
Hi Jeanette,
Yes, I should have stated that Sund has been Googled, and it was very productive. However, I don't have anything on his childhood in Grays Harbor. I was hoping there might be a relative on Finlander who might know a little more.
Thanks,
Syrene

granskare
08-01-05, 18:31
Here are the Gray's Harbor churches available at Swenson:

WA GRAYS HARBOR ABERDEEN EVANGELICAL COVENANT CHURCH C 1893 PNW-20
HIST1893-1943;MINS1893-1910;MEMB'47-67
WA GRAYS HARBOR ABERDEEN SARON LUTHERAN CHURCH L 1908 PNW-22
MINS1908-1944;MEMB1908-1936;M/A'10-37
WA GRAYS HARBOR ABERDEEN SWEDISH EVAN LUTH CHURCH L 1908 PNW-21
SEE TRINITY LUTH, ABERDEEN WA
WA GRAYS HARBOR ABERDEEN TRINITY LUTHERAN CHURCH L 1908 PNW-21
MINS1909-1940;MEMB1908-1937
WA GRAYS HARBOR HOQUIAM IMMANUEL BAPTIST CHURCH B 1904 PNW-23
MINS1904-1933;MEMB1904-1951

Glad you put in the Gray's Harbor info because Anacortes does not show a Swedish language church at Swenson.
Chuck

syrene
08-01-05, 19:11
Hi Chuck,
I reallyappreciate you checking through the church records!
The first one to immigrate was Johan Edvard Sund from Solf, if I've read various resources correctly (Ellis Island, Soc. Security DI, Migration Institute). He came in either 1902 as a married man with children, depending on the 1910 or 1930 census. Evidently Ida Maria and he were married in Solf. I haven't checked that on Talko yet- just figured it out this morning. She and three children came in 1913 directly to Elma. He boarded with a John (36 years) and Wendla Sund with a lot of other loggers in the 1910 census. By 1920, the Sunds have a farm, and the two older boys are logging.
It would help if we can find Evert's marriage to Elsa. I can't figure out what Elsa's home parish is. It just might be in the church book, if they were church goers.

I would also appreciate knowing what year Robert was adopted from the family in Olympia, and if he was already named Robert or if that was something new with his new family. He was adopted as "a child". If he'd been an infant, I think the material might have indicated that. So, if I can go on the name Robert, with the specific birth year, there might still be someone in Olympia who knows his birth family's story. Robert doesn't show up in the 1930 census with the Sunds.

In our families, one child was adopted by the childless sister of the grandparents, because they already had 6 children. So the youngest was adopted as a toddler. She was dearly beloved by
her new mother!

btw If my SSDI information is about the correct persons,
John E. Sund died in March 1979
Elsa Sund died in June 1972
Evert doesn't show at all, and Ida Maria doesn't show up, although there are other Idas.
Many Thanks!
Syrene

ulla
09-01-05, 15:13
Hej Syrene,
I have a family Sund that might be the one you are looking for:
Johan Edvard Simonsson Sund, born 1873, Oct. 18 in Sundom. Married 1895 to
Ida Abrahamsdotter Åkerman, born 1871, March 19, in Korsholm.
Johan Edvard left in 1910 and his wife Ida emigrated in 1913 together with three sons, all born in Sundom:
Johan Evert born 1896, Hugo Edvin born 1898 and Ernst Einar born 1909.
Infortunatley I do not know anything about them after that.
Ulla

syrene
09-01-05, 18:20
Thanks Ulla and Göran Berglund!
You have given me exactly the family for which I was searching! Do you think the two John Sunds were possibly related somewhere? I'm always looking for links in the migration chain. It would be interesting to try to figure out the first Solf person who landed in Grays Harbor County and liked it!
Syrene

granskare
11-01-05, 20:31
I did not find anybody named Sund on any of the church records in Gray's Harbor County.
I checked Saron Lutheran baptismal records and nobody born 29 Nov 1929 was baptised - somebody born 27 Nov 1929 but wrong name:)
Trinity Lutheran had no baptismal pages.
Evan. Covenant had minutes only.
Imm. Baptist - I could not find a Sund and you know Baptists don't baptize kids.

Do you know his name before he became Sund?

syrene
11-01-05, 21:48
Do you know his name before he became Sund?

I don't have that information. Perhaps the birth date would be a clue which could be used to trace Robert's birth in Olympia records where he was born?
I appreciate your time!
Syrene

ulla
12-01-05, 09:46
Syrene,
Could the other John Sund be the following:
Johannes (John) Sund born July 23, 1873 in Sundom, died Oct. 3, 1956 in Hoquiam, WA. Emigrated in 1893.
and wife Wendla Kristina Båssar born March 13, 1873 in Munsmo, died Sept. 30, 1953 in Hoquiam.
They were great grandparents of SFHS member Richard Sund (acc. to Membership Roster May 31, 2002). Their eldest son Edvin was born in Munsmo Oct. 21, 1892, left Finland together with his mother in 1900.
At least three children were born in USA: Silvan Albert born Oct. 27, 1901, Vendla Elvira born March 5, 1903 and August (no dates known).
That's all I know about this family.
Ulla

syrene
12-01-05, 16:53
I'm hoping you're correct. Elizabeth Berg also pointed out that connection. I'll telephone him today. He may well have some key information. I appreciate the information on the "first John Sund".
When his name showed up in census records in the same geographic location I was confused. Thanks to Finlander, the two Sunds have been straightened out, and I feel I can proceed on constructing the article.
Good job!
Syrene

ulla
12-01-05, 20:37
Syrene,
The two John Sunds are 4th cousins, but that is on the Backholm family line.
John Sund married to Wendla is a member of the old Sund family.
The family name of John Edvard Sund's paternal grandfather was Björs and he changed his name to Sund. There are no Sunds before that in his family.
Ulla

syrene
12-01-05, 21:03
Now that's interesting. I'll try to include the information somewhere around the article. I'm also trying to figure out who the first Swedish Finn was who arrived in the Grays Harbor area. And I can't track Johan Edvard Sund on Ellis Island. He might have arrived via Boston or?
Thanks again,
Syrene

jeanette
13-01-05, 02:19
Saw this at the GSF Death Certificates of Finns in Grays Harbor County, Washington, 1907-1947

SUND, CHRIST -- Born August 23, 1888, Finland. Died Sept. 26, 1930, Hoquiam General Hospital, Hoquiam, Wash. Cause of death: carcinoma of stomach. Single. Logger. Father: Christ Sund. Mother: Hanna. Burial Sept. 28, 1930, Hoquiam, Wash.

Thought it best to post it because it was found in the same county. Hoping it won't confuse the issue.

Jeanette

syrene
13-01-05, 02:57
I appreciate all the information. I ran across that name in the census as well, but it doesn't belong with Johan Edvard Sund. I haven't cross checked it with Johannes Johansson Sund however. That may be where the name comes in.
Thanks,
Syrene

ulla
13-01-05, 18:38
Christian Sund, too, was born in Sundom. There is no close relationship to the other Sunds, all the three of them are 4th cousins.
Christian Sund had only one brother and he lived all his life in Sundom.
Christian Sund emigrated in 1906, the year when a lot of young men and women from Sundom left for the United States. I have a photo taken that year of 11 emigrants together with friends and relatives. And those 11 persons were not the only ones leaving that year.
I am interested in all information about people from Sundom!
Ulla

granskare
13-01-05, 18:58
at Swenson B 147 = Delta Co, Gladstone, Grace Baptist

Pos Given names Surname Other names Born Parish Em. Church
1w Emma Berg f. Svarvar Sep 1 1887 Sundom Solv unk B147

the position column tells us on what page she was found, w=wife, we don't know when she emigrated and B147 is the Swenson code for the microfilm of this church.

Chuck
:)

syrene
13-01-05, 19:14
The John Sund families living on John Sund Road near South Elma were called Swedes, and their farming community was nicknamed Swede Hill. One of the SFHS volunteers, our accessions manager, John Ostergard, was raised a few miles away, towards Oakville. As you probably know the Ostergards were also from Sundom. He remembers Robert Sund as a boy some 6-7 years older than he. Robert liked to go over to Tillie Andersson's to drink kaffe och dop. She would bake cardemom coffeebread. John was impressed that Robert could speak Swedish fluently. Evidently his mother had taught him.
You can find these tiny towns on the WAshington State map, if you to to Mapquest, <www.mapquest.com> and enter the town and the state you're seeking. It's a little more difficult to find the precise spot like John Sund Road since that's not in Mapquest's database, but it shows up on the line diagram of the enlarged map. It lies between Delezene Creek Road and South Bank road west of the Chehalis River.
I'm hoping to get an article written for No. 2 SFHS Quarterly. Your photograph sounds perfect. Does it have some names on it? Maybe we can add more, when SFHS members see it in the Quarterly? Could you please mail me an image of the photo?
Thanks,
Syrene

syrene
13-01-05, 19:21
Hi Chuck,
If you're in Swenson's again, could you please check out Bethesda Lutheran Church in Olympia, Washington? That's the original Swedish Finn Lutheran Church, and word is that he was born in Olympia. I think his birthdate might be a key. Or maybe I'm hoping for too much. Maybe his birth was never discussed.
But you find an incredible amount of information, so I'm crossing my fingers.
Thanks!
Syrene

granskare
13-01-05, 23:15
I checked PNW4, Olympia, WA, Bethesda Lutheran, aka Swedish-Finnish Lutheran, and lastly known as Gloria Dei Lutheran Church

This was a better film because it was not as difficult to find birthdates so I went thru each member page checking for the birthdate. Nobody listed born 11-29-1929.

The same holds true for baptismal and confirmational pages - nobody born 11-29-1929

Chuck

syrene
25-01-05, 17:32
Just an update:
I called a phone number listed for Donald Sund in Elma, and reached his widow. He died age 58 approx 12 years ago. But she remembers a lot about his family, although she herself isn't Swedish Finn. She related that Elsa Sund maiden name was also Sund, that she came from Sundom, and that her descendents are named Sundelin, and live in Vasa. They have maintained correspondence with them. I can't find Elsa Sund in the Sundom Historia III. But John Ostergard pointed out a photograph of the Sund boys with his grandfather in that book. Terrific.

I'd like to include a photograph in the article of the Sund gård in Finland if possible.

And mention that the Sundom history books are a wealth of information, thanks to Ulla. and others!
Regards,
Syrene

ulla
25-01-05, 18:45
Thanks for all information about Sund people in the U.S. I have planned to write an article this year for our local publication Murmursunds Allehanda about SUND- names and it will then be interesting to tell something about the Sunds in the U.S. as well.
As you know, people often changed their names in this country when they moved from one place to another. When people from Sundom took a new family name, they often chose names like Sundin, Sundelin, Sundblom, Sundqvist etc. I have found about 15 various SUND-names in Sundom.
Ulla

granskare
26-01-05, 03:47
Ulla:
Are you looking for ppl from the Åland islands?

I have many ppl but I don't want to list them if you are looking for Finnish mainland born ppl.

The Iron Mountain ppl are on delphi right now and you can see the Sund ppl:
http://sfhs.eget.net/wikiindexorphan.html?http://delphi.eget.net/index.php?%C5landers%20at%20Iron%20Mountain%2C%20M I

Chuck

Margaret Rader
26-01-05, 09:33
Robert Sund's collected poems & translations "Poems from Ish River Country" was published in 2004 by Shoemaker Hoard, Publishers, of Washington D.C. He also translated poems of the Swedish poet Rabbe Enckell (included in the collection).
I went to a reading on Sunday at Orca Books in Olympia, WA. A number of Sund's friends and colleagues read from his works in tribute to him. It was a very nice occasion.
Here's one of his poems that should resonate with genealogists:

House of Many Ancestors

The face of the old luteplayer
in the shadows.
The House of Many Ancestors
where the lamps
have been lit.
And people are becoming real once more,
painting a picture called
"The Feast That
Includes Everybody."

Margaret Holm Rader

syrene
26-01-05, 17:18
Thanks for more information. re: the poem
That might be just the one to include in the article! I'm also considering several poems celebrating the natural beauty of the state. He seems best known for that.
We have interviewed Stephen Herold, here in Seattle, who knew Robert many years, and also inteviewed briefly Robert's sister-in-law. It doesn't sound like there'r any Åland islanders in Robert's family background after all. Just Sundom.
I'm still hoping to get a photo of the Sundom home place, and a photo of Robert's gfather's farm in South Elma.
btw Margaret, did anyone mention any of Robert's personal experiences? I would take contact with those persons if you feel their memories might add depth to the image of Robert.
Syrene

Margaret Rader
26-01-05, 20:09
Most of the people who read knew Robert personally. I don't have the names but I can get them for you and will send to your email.

Margaret

jeanette
29-01-05, 01:59
Quite by chance while searching the manifest for the Campania at Ellis Island (arrival date 28 March 1903) I came across three men Sund. Herman 27, Johannes 20 and bro Karl 17 who left Hango and were all going to Hoquiam, Chehalis, WA. Herman listed his destination as brother Johan while the other two were going to sister Lisa Sund.
In the 1910 census
SUND,JOHN,36,M,W,FINL,CHEHALIS,4-WD HOQUIAM,1654,1,71,B, WA
SUND,JOHN,36,M,W,FINL,CHEHALIS,1-WD HOQUIAM,1654,1,15,A, WA
SUND,JOHN,38,M,W,F,CHEHALIS,1-WD HOQUIAM,1654,1,15,A,WA
SUND,HERMAN,32,M,W,,FIN,CHEHALIS,4WDHOQUIAM,1654,1 ,71,A,WA
SUND,GUS,33,M,W,FINL,PIERCE,MCKENNA PCT,1665,2,190,A,WA
SUND,CHRIS,22,M,W,FINL,CHEHALIS,4-WDHOQUIAM,1654,1,71,A, WA
SUND,RAM,22,M,W,FINL,CHEHALIS,1-WD HOQUIAM,1654,1,19,B, WA This man is listed as Rain on the Sec State WA site.
Jeanette

jeanette
29-01-05, 02:42
Hi Ulla,
Don't know if this will help you but here is a list of Sund... HoH (excluding those listed above) born in Finland from the 1910 census in WA. I noticed at the Sec State WA site 287 listings but couldn't see a way to locate only Finnish born. Perhaps you could work back from this list to the other site for full details.
SUNBECK,WENDLA,22,F,W,FIN,WHATCOM,3-WD BELLINGHAM,1673,2,182,B, WA
SUND,CHAS W,30,M,W,FIN,KING,14-WD SEATTLE,1661,2,131,A,WA
SUND,JOHN,26,M,W,FIN,MASON,DETROITPCT,1666,2,290,B , WA
SUND,OSCAR,22,M,W,FIN,MASON,DAYTONPCT,1666,2,331,B , WA
SUNDBACK,AUGUST,17,M,W,FIN,WHATCOM,SAXONPCT,1674,1 ,8,A, WA
SUNDBLAD,WILLIAM,38,M,W,FIN,PACIFIC,S BEND,1667,1,264,B,WA
SUNDELL,ERLAND,19,M,W,FIN,KING,1WDSEATTLE,1658,1,1 05,B,WA
SUNDERMAN,IDA,20,F,W,FIN,CHEHALIS,3WDABERDEEN,1653 ,2,75,A, WA
SUNDERSON,OLE,41,M,W,FIN,CHEHALIS,2WDHOQUIAM,1654, 1,44,B, WA
SUNDETURN,JOHNS,64,M,W,FIN,PACIFIC,NASSELLEPCT,166 7,1,309,B, WA
SUNDHOLM,CHARLES,52,M,W,FIN,KITSAP,POULSBOPCT,1662 ,2,173,B, WA
SUNDHOLM,JOHNO,44,M,W,FIN,WHATCOM,COLUMBIAPCT,1674 ,1,89, B, WA