PDA

View Full Version : Genealogy info on websites

kpaavola
12-01-05, 18:38
I have a question for those of you who have web pages containing genealogy information. I'm in the process of compiling a website that will contain some of my genealogy information. My question relates to how you display your information on your websites.

What are you using to display your data? Ahnentafels? Descendant registers? Does anybody use any type of graphical representation of their data?

Ultimately, what I would like to do is present data similar to how the trees were displayed before Talko came about. Or even the way Talko displays the trees with a specified # of generations shown is nice. I'd rather use that type of display rather than just text.

Does anybody have any advice/experience/suggestions? I remember Ingemar Erickson's website that had a neat graphical tree representation of his data. I went to his site yesterday and he has changed to a new format: phpGedView. It's pretty snazzy but may be too much for what I'm looking for.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

With many thanks,

Jaska Sarell
12-01-05, 20:18
Hi Kevin,

I've tested phpGedView as well and indeed it's a bit too heavy for general purpose, and it requires php capability at ISP side which may not be available everywhere.

Have you seen KStableau by Tom de Neef from Holland? It's rather simple and combines easily understood graphical view with text in other frame. Large data means a lot of scrolling though. You may look at my sample here (http://www.sci.fi/~jaskas/gen/graf/)

:) Jaska

kpaavola
12-01-05, 21:16
Thanks Jaska! That is really interesting! I like how the graphical view is in the top portion of the screen while the ahnentafel is below.

I'll have to look into this program more closely. The phpGedView also provides the ability to open your files for editing by others. I'm certainly not interested in doing that. A guy at work has offered to host my site and he doesn't have php support. I still need to investigate to see what's involved in obtaining that.

I appreciate your feedback!