PDA

View Full Version : Lillas, Johan Fredrik Fredricksson

Sören Ahinko
13-01-05, 18:48
Maybe I should try also in english once again to found my fathers grandfather.
There is some of you that already help me with Johan Lillas. Sandy Witt, Staffan Storteir, Alica Koski-Marshall and so on.
And I would like to thank you once again.

Johan Lillas was born in Jeppo 27 dec 1863. He departed from Liverpool and Queenstown on the Nevada, arriving in New York on February 26, 1891. He left wife and children in Jeppo, Finland.

He had a brother, Karl Niklas Lillas who also went to USA, but in 1899. And he went first to Orange Texas and then to Hibbing Minnesota.
And that is almost everything I know about them.

I hope there is someone that had some more information about this guys.

Sören in a rather windy Fagersta

Karen Norwillo
13-01-05, 22:20
On the Minnesota Naturalization Index for 1854-1957, I found a Johannes Emil Lillas in Hibbing. Also, a Jakob Lillas and a Lillian Lillas. Johannes and Lillian are recorded on the same volume 127 and page 73. I saw the Ellis Island entry for Karl Lillas, arriving 17 Jun 1899 on the SS Hekla to Orange Texas. Says he and companion Matts Blomquist are going to cousin J. Isakson. I cannot find anything else under Lillas that matches. I also found an Isaac Lillas from Finland, age 35, single, shaftman in a copper mine, to US in 1906, on the 1920 census, Kimberly, White Pine, Nevada. All the other Lillas are listed as Irish in the census. Could he have used Fredrikson?

kpaavola
14-01-05, 02:39
Hi Karen and Sören,
Earlier today (at work) I tried looking for them in the census but couldn't find them. I did see 1 Lillas born in Finland but it wasn't either of them. So I had as much luck as Karen did. :(

I did also try Fredrickson but got interrupted while searching (imagine!) :) I'll try to go back and check some more if I get the chance this evening.

edited misspelling

kpaavola
14-01-05, 04:05
Hi Sören,
Do you have any additional information on Karl Niklas? Maybe a birth year?

I tried searching the indexes again and couldn't find anything on either one.

Let me know if you have additional information and I'll be happy to look again.

Sören Ahinko
15-01-05, 11:46
Karen
I don´t have any of the other Lillas in my tree. But maybe they should be there....

Yes, he might have used Fredrickson instead of Lillas. And I got lots of John Fredrickson from Alicia. She found one in Mendocino, California in the 1930 census.
And one John who was married to Mary and had one child, Helen. I´m sorry to say that I lost some of the info that Alicia sent to me, so I don´t know where they lived.

I have found some John Fredrickson in K-G Olin book " Guld och Röda skogar", there is one, John Fredrickson or Tarmata,who died in Glen Blair in the summer of 1906.
In the same book there is some boys who had write in a paper and they are looking for girls from Finland. And one of them was one John Fredrickson. And the adress for reply was: Arcata, HumboltCo., Calif,. Camp4.

I think that is all I have of old John Fredrickson.

I have found one living John Fredrickson to , but it is another story.

Sören in Fagersta there the sun is shining.

Sören Ahinko
15-01-05, 12:01
Kevin,
Bye the way, what are you working with when you got interrupted all the time...?

Niklas was born 1877-08-27 in Jeppo.
He was married to Anna, and had one daughter, Selma and one son, Johannes.

That is all I know about Niklas and his family.

Sören in Fagersta, who did not taken a safety copy of his work.
And I think it was not so good. Now I have some work to do.

syrene
15-01-05, 18:49
Hi,
Last night my sister-in-law introduced us to a couple where we had eaten dinner. She explained that the wife was partly Swedish-Finn, so we should meet them. The wife's maternal grandparents were from Finland and had moved to Astoria. Gfather's last name in Astoria was Fredrickson, and gmother's maiden name was Nyman. Any help? I can contact them through my sister-in-law if you like.
Regards,
Syrene

Sören Ahinko
16-01-05, 13:47
Hi Syrene,
Because I don´t know so much about my Fredricksons, so anything that maybe help my to find John Fredrickson is interresting.
But I don´t recognize any Nyman.

So if you would like to check this Fredrickson I´ll be glad.

Thanks Syrene.

kpaavola
16-01-05, 18:09
Hi Sören,
I found this family that seems to be your Karl Niklas. He was found in Stevenson Location, Stuntz Township, St Louis County, Minnesota in the 1930 census.

You'll see some of the names match, the birth year is slightly off, but the immigration year is listed as 1899. Anna and Joh(a)n show immigration year as 1909. Initially, I didn't realize the family continued onto the next page. I went back and looked and added the rest of the family to the image.

What is interesting is there is a brother, Eric, living with the family who is 69 yrs old, which would put his birth year as ~1861. Eric's immigration year is listed as 1890. This is close to the brother Johan Fredrik's information you provided.

Maybe with these additional details you can confirm whether this is the correct family. I'm not able to find any other records to either confirm this family as correct or not.

Sören Ahinko
17-01-05, 17:42
Kevin,
I got so exatied today att work, when I saw that you found some more info about my Fredricksons. It was not so easy to work after that...

I´m sure that you have found the right Charles (Karl) Fredrickson and his family. Anna and two children came to Ellis Island 1909 as you wrote. And it seems that Charles and Anna had twins after that they came to Minnesota.

What are 19 and 21(?) stands for in column 15? And what are the "things" in 7 and 8?

Charles and John had one brother born in 1869 named Erik. But it can´t well be that Eric you found?

Thank you Kevin for all this information, you are...

Sören in Fagersta, in english you can say Beauty Town....

kpaavola
17-01-05, 18:20
Hi
I'm glad that this turned out to be your family! I know how it feels to search for information and not find anything then one day find them hiding in the records. I still have some of those types of ancestors that I know one day I'll find. :)

Here's a link that you can view that contains samples of blank census forms. Each census was different so the column headings vary. You don't need to subscribe to Ancestry.com in order to view these files.

Have a look....
http://www.ancestry.com/save/charts/census.htm

Sören Ahinko
24-01-05, 21:05
Now when Kevin found one Erik Lillas I have been in Ellis Island and search.
And there I found one Erik who came to Ellis Island 1909-01-28 with Southampton.
And this Erik should go and visit his brother in Rhinelawder, Wise. And I´m not sure if there is some place called that.
Where do I found this place?

Maybe there is someone who knows...

Sören in Fagersta.

kpaavola
24-01-05, 21:41
Hi Sören,
Here are two different links for Rhinelander, Wisconsin. One is for the chamber of commerce site and the 2nd one has a map indicating the location of Rhinelander as well as other information.

http://www.rhinelanderchamber.com/index.cfm
http://www.rhinelander-wi.com/

Sören Ahinko
25-01-05, 19:42
Thank you Kevin for the interesting pages.
There is lots of intersting things.
But I can´t say that I like the Hodag.:D

I should try the guestbook in the Daily News later.

You are great Kevin.

Sören in Fagersta, where we don´t have any scary animals. Only my sisters ugly cat.....

Sören Ahinko
13-02-05, 16:11
Just another try....

I have found one "Father" Fredrickson born 1863 and died 1923, in The East Christiana Lutheran Cemetery in Eureka township, Dakota county, Minnesota.

As you know I´m searching for one John (Johan) Fredrickson born 1863.
Can this be the same Fredrickson?

kpaavola
13-02-05, 18:55
Hi Sören,
I checked the 1920 census for Eureka Township, Dakota County and there was only one John Fredrickson. He was born in Norway so it doesn't look like this is your Johan. :(

Kim McIsaac
13-02-05, 23:20
I have researched the Karl Niklas Fredriksen Lillas family that settled in the Hibbing,Minnesota area for a grandaughter. Attached is a Pedigree Chart for them, beginning with Karl's daughter Selma. Karl along with his brother Erik(never married) worked in the iron ore mines in Hibbing. I don't have anything on John (Johan Fredrik Lillas) b. 1863 at this time for St.Louis Co.,Minnesota.

Kim McIsaac, Duluth,Mn.

Karen Norwillo
14-02-05, 00:52
On the 1920 and 1930 census for Felch, Dickinson, MI, I found a Fredrickson, John. 1920 Census, line 22. 55 years, to US 1899, Finland, Swedish, lumber camp. Wife Mary, 60, US 1900, Finn-Swede. Son J???, looks like Joll or Jall, obviously misspelled, 21, US 1900, lumber camp, daughter Bertha, 16, MI, servant private family.
In 1930, line 96, John is a 65 yr. old widower, married at 24, to US 1890, a farmer. Daughter Bertha Stanford, 26, married at 23, grandsons Jarvis, 3 and Gerald, 9/12, both born MI. No Mr Stanford.
His age is off by 2 years with a 1863 birthday.

Sören Ahinko
14-02-05, 19:21
Karen,

That is very interested info you came with.
Some where I have seen John with Mary, but I don´t know where I have that paper. I should try to find it later.
Now I came on something.....
John was married to Maria, called Maja, in Finland. Could it be that she came later to USA, then John. But I have no info that she went to USA. This is something that I most go on with.......

Once again thanks Karen, Kim and Kevin.

Karen Norwillo
14-02-05, 20:37
Sören, I checked Ellis Island and found Maria and her family. They arrived 26 Nov 1900 on the SS Cymric out of Liverpool. They are listed as Fredrikson. They are going to husband/father, John Fredrikson in Metropolitan, MI. I believe that was the old name for Felch? Fredrikson, Maria, 41, Finland. Strangely, on one document she is listed as a widow, yet the manifest states going to husband. Children, Johannes, age 11, Brita, 9, Anders, 7, Ida, 4 and Joel, 2. Joel's age would fit the 1920 Census. The other children were grown 20 years later and probably on their own at census time. Hope this is your family. Karen

Sören Ahinko
14-02-05, 21:25
Karen,

I tried to Ellis Island but I didn´t found any Maria. But when I tried Anders it was easier to found.
Do you think I got exatied when I saw your post? And some of the childrens name was right and birth year was ok...
But now, when I get calm down a little bit .... now I don´t think it is the right family.
The age of Maria is not correct, because Maria that I have is born in 1864.
And some of the children don´t match .....

But it was close....I think.

Burt why are there so many John Fredrickson?

Sören who probably can not sleep tonight.

Margareta L
14-02-05, 22:04
Hi all,
Here is Johan and Maria Fredriksson's family:

I Maria Johansdotter Marken
b. 9 May 1860 Nykarleby, Kovjoki.
Spouse:
Johan Fredriksson Ruotsala e. Dunder
Backst.k., b. 8 Dec 1864 Jeppo, Ruotsala.
Parents: Fredrik Gustafsson Dunder, b. 22 Oct 1834 Överjeppo and Anna Kajsa Andersdotter -, b. 18 Oct 1834 Purmo.
Children:
Anna Sofia Johansdotter, b. 7 Apr 1887 Jeppo, d. 26 Apr 1887 Jeppo
Johannes Johansson, b. 22 Apr 1888 Jeppo.
Brita Maria Johansdotter, b. 15 Dec 1889 Jeppo.
Ida Johanna Johansdotter, b. 25 Dec 1896 Jeppo.
Anders Emil Johansson, b. 17 Sep 1891 Jeppo.

Margareta

Sören Ahinko
15-02-05, 20:31
Thanks Margereta!

I got some info from Mike Olson last night.
He also had one brother to Charles Fredrickson, Erick Fredrickson. The same info Kevin had found for me earlier to.
And this Erick should have been born in 8 may 1863. That means that he should have been born the same year that John was born. Almost 8 month is between them. I have one Erik born in 1869.

Is that possible that I missed Erick born 1863 in my research? I don´t remember when I have done a misstake like that.
;) ( My wife got something in her throat....)

Margereta, can you help me? You know everthing about Jeppo and the people who had lived there.

Karen Norwillo
15-02-05, 20:53
Sören, It would seem that the family I found on Ellis Island and the one Margareta sent are the same. Perhaps your birthdate for John and Maria are off abit. Often when asked about dates, the people really weren't sure or were misunderstood in their responses. Karen

Sören Ahinko
15-02-05, 21:04
Yes Karen,
You and Margareta have right. But I got so exited once again over the mail I got earlier. So I didn´t replyed Margeretas post.

This is not so good for my health....

Margareta L
15-02-05, 22:37
Hi,
Take it easy Sören-:). I have mislead some and I want to point out that the Ruotsala-Fredriksson family in Dickinson county wasn't your family. Your Lillas-Fredriksson family was:
Tabel 1
I Fredrik Thomasson Lillas b. 4.4.1827 Munsala, d. 9.3.1899 Jeppo
Spouse: 7.9.1851 Munsala
Maja Eriksdotter Stamm
b. 3.1.1831 Överjeppo
Children:
Susanna Fredriksdotter, b. 1.11.1855 Munsala
Johan Fredrik Fredriksson,b. 27.12.1863 Munsala To tabel 2.
Erik Wilhelm Fredriksson, b. 13.6.1869 Munsala
Karl Niklas Fredriksson, b. 27.8.1877 Jeppo

Tabell 2
II Johan Fredrik Fredriksson Lillas
b. 27.12.1863 Munsala, Pensala.
Spouse: 13.3.1887 Munsala
Maja Lovisa Johansdotter Björk
b. 28.1.1864 Munsala, d. 12.2.1939 Jeppo
Children:
Johannes b.14.3.1888
Ida Maria b.13.3.1889
Anna Lovisa b.4.4.1891
Erik Vilhelm b.27.3.1893

jeanette
14-03-05, 10:56
Hej Sören,

Just noticed no one ever posted the 1910 census info. The Heritage Quest cd for Scandinavians in the 1910 Us Federal Census shows Johan as
FREDRIKSON,JOHN,46,M,WHITE,FINLAND,DICKINSON,FELCH TWP,644,2,96,A,MI,

Jeanette

Sören Ahinko
14-03-05, 21:32
Thank you Jeanette for your lookup.
But I think it´s the wrong John. Probebly is that Mr John Fredrickson Routsala Dunder.
And he came to USA 1899 with his family.

Bye the way I can tell you all something.
I have not found "my" John Fredrickson.
But I have contact with his brother Charles family. :D
They have helped me a lot with their side. And the even try to found John.
All of this is really great.

granskare
15-03-05, 00:13
I only saw the name Dunder just a few threads up so I decided to give it a try and found somebody in the UP Finnish born dbase.

at Schoolcraft, Thompson, Mi Sw. Emanuel Luth., Swenson 227

4h John Dunder eller Bränfors Jul 9 1869 Pörtom 1887 227
4w Johanna Jul 14 1865 Oravais 1888 227

at Swenson 231 = Houghton County, Dollar Bay, First Lutheran

43h Abram Abramson Dunder Dec 10 1873 Pörtom 1893 231
43w Mary Elizabeth Aug 30 1872 Pörtom 1892 231

That's it for Dunder ppl and I suppose they aren't part of the family but, hey, maybe somebody else will need them:)
Chuck

Wayne Ohlsson
27-10-06, 06:24
Originally posted by Margareta L
Hi all,
Here is Johan and Maria Fredriksson's family:

I Maria Johansdotter Marken
b. 9 May 1860 Nykarleby, Kovjoki.
Spouse:
Johan Fredriksson Ruotsala e. Dunder
Backst.k., b. 8 Dec 1864 Jeppo, Ruotsala.
Parents: Fredrik Gustafsson Dunder, b. 22 Oct 1834 Överjeppo and Anna Kajsa Andersdotter -, b. 18 Oct 1834 Purmo.
Children:
Anna Sofia Johansdotter, b. 7 Apr 1887 Jeppo, d. 26 Apr 1887 Jeppo
Johannes Johansson, b. 22 Apr 1888 Jeppo.
Brita Maria Johansdotter, b. 15 Dec 1889 Jeppo.
Ida Johanna Johansdotter, b. 25 Dec 1896 Jeppo.
Anders Emil Johansson, b. 17 Sep 1891 Jeppo.

Margareta

Wayne Ohlsson
27-10-06, 06:33
Johannes b. 22 Apr 1888 immigrated about 1900 and married and had a family in Iron Co., Michigan. He died in Iron River in 1958. Since he would have been about 12 years old at the time of his immigration, it seems he would have come with his parents and siblings. Johannes was known as "John F. Johnson" in Iron River and is listed in the Iron Co. Finnish immigrant listing for the Swedish-Finn Historical Society. I am presently researching his ancestry.
Wayne

Kerstin
29-10-06, 09:48
Hello Wayne!

This is from cencus 1930.

Name John F Johnson
Home in 1930. Bates Iron Michigan
Age 42
Birthplace Finland
Relation to head of house Head
Spouse´s name Mary E
Household members
John F Johnson 42 Immigrated 1900. Grocer in store
Mary E Johnson 30 Born about 1900 in Michigan. Parents from Sweden
Ramony I Johnson 6 son
Jane E Johnson 3 daughter
Doloris A Johnson. Born abt 1928 daughter. All children born in Michigan.

WW1 draft regristration cards 1917-1918 about John F Johnson
Name John F Johnson
City Not stated
County Iron
State Michigan
Birthplace Finland
Birth date 23 apr 1888
He is Born in Nykarleby and he is living in Iron River.

MVH Kerstin

Wayne Ohlsson
29-10-06, 15:41
Originally posted by Kerstin
Hello Wayne!

This is from cencus 1930.

Name John F Johnson
Home in 1930. Bates Iron Michigan
Age 42
Birthplace Finland
Relation to head of house Head
Spouse´s name Mary E
Household members
John F Johnson 42 Immigrated 1900. Grocer in store
Mary E Johnson 30 Born about 1900 in Michigan. Parents from Sweden
Ramony I Johnson 6 son
Jane E Johnson 3 daughter
Doloris A Johnson. Born abt 1928 daughter. All children born in Michigan.

WW1 draft regristration cards 1917-1918 about John F Johnson
Name John F Johnson
City Not stated
County Iron
State Michigan
Birthplace Finland
Birth date 23 apr 1888
He is Born in Nykarleby and he is living in Iron River.

MVH Kerstin

Wayne Ohlsson
29-10-06, 15:49
Hej Kerstin!
Tack så mycket. I already have this information. "John F" and his wife Mary had a small grocery store across from the school that I went to as a boy. He died in 1958 and his daughter Jane still lives in Iron River. I am just now finishing the research on his ancestry. I have a database posted at Ancestry.com where I have many ancestries of Iron County families - especially Swedish (including "John F's" wife's ancestry and mine) and Finnish.
Många hälsningar!
Wayne Gustav Ohlsson
Salt Lake City, Utah