PDA

View Full Version : Heikki Koski

Hero
22-01-05, 09:18
I´m looking for Heikki Koski, who emigrated to America in 1909. He died 1911, but I don´t know where. I tried to locared him by searchinh on Ellisinsland.com but I ouln´t find him there. Is there anyone who knows sometihng about him or can say where I can turn to to find information about him.
Thank you!
Helena

kpaavola
22-01-05, 15:01
Hi Helena,
Welcome to the Finlander Forum! I'll be happy to check the census records for your Heikki Koski. Do you have a date of birth? That would help tremendously searching the index nationwide to narrow down the results. :)

Hero
22-01-05, 15:39
As I searched for him on a finnish site I came across to Heikki Koski who emigrated to America in 1909, one going to Boston and the other to Fitchburg. I´m not at home right now so I can´t tell you when he was born or if anyone of the two are the one I´m looking for. Maybe I can ask a friende who staying at our place to look for my results.

kpaavola
22-01-05, 18:53
Here are the Henry Koskis from the 1910 census:
Henry Koski TENMILE RVR TWP, MENDOCINO, CA 1869 White Male
Henry Koski ENAVILLE, SHOSHONE, ID 1909 Male
Henry Koski 2-WD WORCESTER, WORCESTER, MA 1874 White Male
Henry Koski 2-WD HANCOCK, HOUGHTON, MI 1885 White Male
Henry Koski ADAMS TWP, HOUGHTON, MI 1883 White Male
Henry Koski CALUMET TWP, HOUGHTON, MI 1875 White Male
Henry Koski HAMPTON TWP, KEWEENAW, MI 1881 White Male
Henry Koski 4-WD DULUTH, ST LOUIS, MN 1885 White Male
Henry Koski FLOODWOOD, ST LOUIS, MN 1883 White Male
Henry Koski WILLOW CRK SCHOOL DIST, CARBON, MT 1874 White Male
Henry Koski LAKE VIEW TWP, TOWNER, ND 1871 White Male
Henry Koski 10-WD BROOKLYN, KINGS, NY 1879 White Male
Henry Koski STILLWATER PCT, LEWIS, WA 1860 White Male

The year you see listed is the estimated birth year. I did check the details of the one listed in Massachusetts (MA) but he immigrated in 1902.

Hero
22-01-05, 19:46
I think he was born in 1877. Does it exist a list of people who died in 1911?

kpaavola
22-01-05, 20:26
Helena,
As far as I know, there is no nationwide death list available. There is a Social Security Death Index but that only covers deaths generally after the 1940s or 50s.

If you knew the state he lived/died in, then possibly you might find an online death list for a time period for that state.

I think to get further with this search, we'll need to determine where he lived in the 1910 census. Once determined, then it may be possible to check if that state has online death records available. If not, you would then have to write to the state's vital records department to see if they have a death certificate.

Hero
22-01-05, 23:16
I have talked to my friend and he says that Heikki Koski was born 5:th of January 1877 in Finland and emigrated 22:nd of June 1909 to America and died 7:th of january 1911 in America. When I searched the finnish site for emigrants I found a Heikki Koski departured 3:rd of July 1909 from Hankö, Finland and 14:th of July 1909 from England.
I think it´s him. He probably left his parish in late June to take the boat from Hankö in July. If it´s him he went to Boston.

Hero
23-01-05, 13:45
He left with the ship Polaris from Finland and the ship Cymric from England, I don´t know witch port in England. His destination was Boston.

kpaavola
24-01-05, 15:45
Hi Helena,
I've had a rather busy weekend which hasn't left much time for following up on genealogy. This evening, I'll gather up this information and send it to someone who might be able to help locate the arrival record of Heikki. It should list his destination in the US. Knowing that will help to determine how to proceed further researching him.

kpaavola
27-01-05, 03:27
Hi Helena,
Just a note to let you know I sent off my request for your Heikki Koski's arrival into Boston. I'll let you know when I hear back from him.

kpaavola
06-02-05, 04:16
Hi Helena,
I just received an email from my contact who visited the National Archives in Massachusetts. He found the manifest of the ship arrival record for Heikki Koski. He didn't provide any details but is mailing me a copy of the record. Once I receive it, I'll post either details from it or an image of it. Maybe it will provide some more information to be able to trace him further.

Hero
06-02-05, 10:12
Thank you!

Helena

kpaavola
02-03-05, 01:30
Hi Helena,
I had forgotten all about Heikki Koski, but today I received the ship manifest in the mail. This is the arrival record of Heikki Koski traveling from Liverpool, England on July 14, 1909 arriving Boston July 22, 1909.

The manifest says Heikki was traveling to "friend Otto Ojanperä 24 Glen Street, Woscester, Massachusetts". It also lists "wife Hedvig Koski" as his nearest relative in Finland. In one place it looks like he was from Seinajoki but then the wife's address looks like Seikajoki. There are lines on the image and it's rather difficult to read but for Hedvig it looks like it says "Röyonötarklä Seikajoki". I know the first word is probably spelled wrong. Whoever wrote out the manifest must have understood Finnish because each of the Finnish names are spelled correctly with ä & ö! It's just very difficult to make out the word because of the quality of the copy. Maybe you can recognize the place with some of the letters I listed.

With this information, I rechecked the census but still couldn't find a Henry Koski in 1910. I also tried looking for Otto but he didn't show up either. Who knows if Otto changed both his 1st and last names since he doesn't show up in the search engines.

Please let me know if you'd like this copy and I'll be happy to mail it to you.

Hero
10-03-05, 09:51
Hello!

I also got this information form the manifest. His birthplace is Ilmajoki. HIs wife is Hedvig Koski, thats correct. I tried to print the manifest but it failed so please send me your copy.

Helena

Kaj Granlund
10-03-05, 15:25
If you think that deathdate is correct you could try the Worchester Public library in MA for the obit of Heikki Koski.

Hero
11-03-05, 20:29
How do I contact them?

Thank you for helping me!
Helena