PDA

View Full Version : Family search

silvermill
29-01-05, 22:06
Hi,
My name is Larry Newman, living in Gold Canyon, Arizona, near Phoenix. My grandfather came to the United States from Finland about 1900, and settled in northern Wisconsin. His birth date was June 1, 1878. The name he had initially, according to legal documentation in Wisconsin was Erick Nyman, which he changed to Newman about ten years after arriving. I did some initial work on his origins at the Family Research Center in Salt Lake City, Utah. My father said his dad was from Kvevlux, which apparently is Koivulahti in Finnish. My initial research of the parish records indicates there was a family named Nasman in that area. I found no family named Nyman. I believe that Nasman is our original family name. My grandfather had a brother named John, who moved to Canada, shortly after arriving in the U. S. My grandfather's father's name was Anders and his wife was Maria Lasu (maiden name). Apparently Erick and John had a sister, Maria, who remained in Finland. I would appreciate any information that anyone could give me regarding my grandfather's family and descendents.

kpaavola
29-01-05, 22:42
Hi Larry & Welcome to the Forum!

I did some census searching and found Erick and family in the 1910 & 1920 census records. I couldn't find him in the 1900 census though. These records show he immigrated 1896. I checked Ellis Island but didn't see him around that time. I checked the Migration Institute site and found a listing in the passport register as follows:
Nyman Erik . .1878

Perhaps someone with full access to that site can verify the details of that record. 1878 would've been the year of birth for that record.

In case it's not legible, the family is as follows in 1920:
Erick Newman, 41, immigrated 1896
Anna, wife, 37, immigrated 1898
Edwin, son, 18
Eskel, son, 10
Ellen, daughter, 8

kpaavola
29-01-05, 22:43
I neglected to mention these both were in Ashland, Ashland County, Wisconsin.

Here's the 1910 image:

staffan
30-01-05, 14:20
The Erik Nyman b. 1878 was from Maxmo (neighbor parish of Kvevlax). He emigrated in 1906. Wife and one child stayed in Finland.

Detailed passport information

Last name
Nyman
First names
Erik
Other names
Date of birth
. .1878
Marital status
Religion
Lut.
Occupation
Taloll. pka
Home parish
Maksamaa
Province
VAA
Passport date
Passport number
Passport valid (year:month)
5:00
Destination
Amerikka
Passport issued by
VAA
Remarks
Sj vmo ja 1 lapsi.

Regards,

Alan J. Bundy
17-06-05, 01:28
Hello Larry, Kevin, and Staffan,
These postings sound close to my family name and place. I'll have to be brief cause I don't have details with me. I'm Alan Bundy and I live in Cleveland, Ohio. My grandfather was Alfred Newman from Jakobstad or Pietarsaari. He was born in the last half of the 1860s-1868 perhaps. When he became naturalized I believe he changed his name to Newman, but it was originally Nyman I think. He had brothers that I know nothing about. He lived in Ashland, Ashland County, Wisconsin. He married Anna Johnson from Jeppo. She was also an immigrant. She died in her thirties and Alfred died in the 1930s. They had five children, Helen, Delbert, Clarence, Phyllis-my mother, and Violet. Helen married a Norwegian named Liedenberg-I believe it's Lie and not Lei-and had a son named Harry. Helen and Delbert died quite young.
I'm sorry not to have more precise dates here, but I will try and find more time for this since there seems to be such similarities-I hope they are!
Yours truly,
Alan Bundy

Alan J. Bundy
17-06-05, 01:41
Hello again-I meant to post this previous message as a reply to Larry Newman's post about the Nyman family name in Ashland, WI but the technology didn't cooperate it seems-can this post be transferred to where it's supposed to be?
Alan Bundy

Alan J. Bundy
17-06-05, 01:50
Larry, Kevin, and Staffan,
I tried to reply to all of you with a query, with the above title, but it got posted as a new posting and I don't know how to transfer it to ours. Sorry, but please look for it. And how can I transfer it?
Alan Bundy

kpaavola
17-06-05, 04:57
Hi Alan,
No harm done. I merged the threads so the other one is gone now. The New Topic and Reply buttons are close together and it's easy for it to happen.

Take care,

granskare
18-06-05, 23:58
Alfred Nyman 6.2.1869 Purmo 8.4.1900 708 Front St. West

I found him at:
http://www.genealogia.fi/emi/indexe.htm
just scroll down to this entry and you will see some more Nyman/Newman people there.
EDIT: OK, I forgot that the website isn't so intuitive. In the left frame see United States and then go to indexes and click and finally you will reach the entry as shown just below:) and you will find that the alphabet isn't honored there so scroll some more once you reach the first person, Emmanuel Newman and keep going until you reach the letter O section.

WISCONSIN

* Ashland
o Föreningen Norden, Membership List, Ashland, Ashland County.

Alan J. Bundy
21-06-05, 20:57
Thanks so much to all. I think this information must contain many of my relatives- the names Johnson, Mattson , and so many people from Jeppo, and I think this is my grandfather Alfred Nyman. I can check further but this is a terrifically interesting group of names from Ashland. I've never heard of this group. Whatever I can verify, I'll get back. I hope this is of use to Larry as well-it should be. I don't know what Nasman means as a name. Ny in Swedish means new, hence the name Newman means the same thing in English as Nyman does in Swedish.

Many thanks again,
Alan Bundy

June Pelo
21-06-05, 22:39
Alan,

I have a number of relatives named Newman who changed their names from Nyman when they emigrated.

I know someone who has a relative Vilhelm Näsman, b. ca 1836, from Solf.

June

granskare
21-06-05, 23:47
I checked the lutheran church film which contained a Swedish lutheran and a Swedish-Finn lutheran (Bethesda). I didn't see any of your Nyman/Newman ppl at the Swedish church and the only Nyman/Newman I found on the SF church was a Michael Nyman (page 22), born Wero Finland on May 26 1873. I didn't check baptismal lists because I didn't have birthdates. I didn't think to check Liedenberg either. If you know the year of marriage, I can check to see if that was done there. Also maybe ages of kids on a certain census year would help me find them. Let me know. Fastest way is to use email: granskare at netexpress.net

Chuck

Alan J. Bundy
23-06-05, 00:36
Hi June,
On the list Chuck found did you notice Axel Pelo? I'm very glad to learn about that Nyman to Newman change-it must have been common to do it then. I wonder if most Nymans changed it to Newman? There is a Newman Family organization in the U.S. that I ran across years ago, devoted to that family name. I imagine there is a book for looking up the actual meaning of Swedish or Finnish names- like Nasman, that tells their origin. I wonder how Nyman, apparently meaning "new man", came about?

Alan

Alan J. Bundy
23-06-05, 00:54
Hi June,
On the list Chuck found did you notice Axel Pelo? I'm very glad to learn about that Nyman to Newman change-it must have been common to do it then. I wonder if most Nymans changed it to Newman? There is a Newman Family organization in the U.S. that I ran across years ago, devoted to that family name. I imagine there is a book for looking up the actual meaning of Swedish or Finnish names- like Nasman, that tells their origin. I wonder how Nyman, apparently meaning "new man", came about?

Alan

Alan J. Bundy
23-06-05, 01:07
Chuck,
That list you found, with Alfred Nyman, was the right one all right. That's the first time I've ever seen his name recorded as Nyman. The birthdate is the same, that is my grandfather. I had no idea he was in this group. And I suspect his brothers might be in that same listing. His death certificate lists him as being from Jakobstad/Pietarsaari, but from the list, apparently he was born in Purmo, which must be Swedish for Purmojavri. Michael Nyman might possibly be a younger brother. Would a baptismal list include parents and siblings? I've never researched baptismal lists. I'll do some more checking on other dates and names. Many, many thanks.
Alan

Alan J. Bundy
23-06-05, 01:11
Sorry about the double posting-I have no idea how I did that

Alan

Alan J. Bundy
23-06-05, 01:14
Sorry about the double posting- I have no idea how I did that.

Alan