PDA

View Full Version : selma borg's death date

mrahkonen
05-02-05, 00:12
I have received a lot of information about Selma Josefina Borg (b. 1838 in Finland), but her date of death is still unclear. Can anybody help me? She very probably died in Atlantic City, NJ, in the early 1920s, possibly 1922.

Karen Norwillo
05-02-05, 18:38
In addition to what you already have, I found Selma Josephine Borg listed in the Maritime Records of the Port of Philadelphia 1794-1880. She apparently arrived at Phila. in 1873. I also found a Declaration of Intent for her filed in the Phila Court of Common Pleas on 7 May 1873 with an oath taken 7 May 1875. The 1910 and 1920 census, even though in different places in NJ, still lists her as a boarder in the home of Sarah L Hill. Though one lists her as Mrs. Selma Borg, she is listed as single. I think it really says Miss, hard to read. That 1880 Boston entry where she is listed as a boarder and a historical lector doesn't necessarily mean she ever really moved there. She may have just been on a lecture and was recorded there. Karen Norwillo

mrahkonen
05-02-05, 19:19
Thank you! All of this makes sense in the light of what I know. But I don't seem to be able to get hold of any death records in Atlantic City (Atlantic) in 1920s...

Karen Norwillo
05-02-05, 20:02
I, too, have been unable to find anything on Ancestry for 1920's deaths in NJ. Interestingly, with a bit more searching, I think I found why Selma was in Boston. It appears she did much tranlating from Swedish for the Lee and Shephard Publishers in Boston, along with Marie A Brown. I found several referrences to them translating the works of Marie Sophie Schwartz. Also, translated "The Forest Family" for St Nicholas Magazine in 1874. There are also several references to her in the Whittier Papers at the Clark Historical Library. Evidently, she wrote to him several times for advice about copyright protection and publishing problems.

mrahkonen
06-02-05, 12:10
Yes, she was a very many-sided person, active translator, lecturer, (both in the US and in Finland), active in the women's movement (she was connected to the 1876 world exhibition in the Philly, in setting up the women's pavillion) and also in music. She even conducted some orchestra concerts on the East Coast, for ex. in Boston. Maybe I have to give on on the date of her death, then.

Karen Norwillo
06-02-05, 15:51
Don't give up yet. With all her accomplishments, there has to be an obit published somewhere when she died. You might try contacting a library in Atlantic County. They may have an archive of old newspapers. I have had luck requesting info this way. I'll check and see if I can find one for you. You can always request a copy of her death certificate from the state of NJ. Karen

mrahkonen
08-02-05, 11:08
That would be wonderful, because I don't seem to be able to lock into any of the databases that print obituaries. Another question: from which address one can request death certificates?