PDA

View Full Version : Order of Runeberg Lodges

June Pelo
05-02-05, 23:27
Leading Star newspaper reports that during 2003 two Runeberg Lodges disbanded:
Lodge #120 in Rochester, Washington was organized in 1911 as "Nytt Hopp" (New Hope) and joined the Runeberg Order in 1920 with 20 members. Its largest membership was 180 in the 1930s due to the popularity of Swede Hall, the center of social activities for Swede Finns in Rochester.

The other Lodge that disbanded was Lodge #1 in Bessemer, Michigan, the oldest in the Order, dating back to 1898. The aid and beneficial society, Osterbotten, was the first of its kind among Finlands Swedes in Mid-America. The Osterbotten group joined with the temperance society, Nord, and formed Lodge #1, Order of Runeberg. This lodge had a membership of 294 and had its own folk dance group and band.

June

Karen Norwillo
06-02-05, 01:48
June, Do you know if the Runeberg Lodge in Gladstone/Escanaba area is still there? My great-aunt and her husband were mentioned as being members, but I can't find a listing for it. Karen

Margaret Rader
06-02-05, 19:54
June, when the Rochester lodge disbanded, do you know where their historical records are archived? Are they with SFHS? I suppose I could ask someone closer to home, since I live in Rochester.

Margaret Holm Rader

June Pelo
06-02-05, 22:24
Margaret,

Leading Star is published by the International Order of Runeberg and, since SFHS is the record keeper for Runeberg Order, I assume they have the records for disbanded lodges.

Karen,

According to Leading Star, Lodge #10 is in Escanaba. I don't have any data, but Syrene would know. Are you there, Syrene?

June

Hasse
06-02-05, 23:08
Does this post ok?

June Pelo
07-02-05, 21:06
Hasse,

The mail is coming through OK today.

June

syrene
13-02-05, 01:19
Hi all!
I'm finally here again. The Michigan exhibit had me on Internet all day long for about 8 days. Terrific results however, for which I have Chuck to thank!

The records and other ephemera (such as framed charters) are according to the by-laws to be first returned to the Executive Board of OR. Then the Board archives them with SFHS. The Swedish Finn Historical Society hasn't yet seen any such materials sent to the office from those lodges.

What has often happened in the past is that the last secretary gets handed the job of deciding what to do with the materials. If the by-laws have been forgotten about, what happens? Well, sometimes the materials get put away in someone's basement or attic. Who knows what happens next.

In one instance, we were staffing a SFHS display and a person came up saying her garage had some boxes of OR stuff, and would we like it. WOULD WE? That's a very happy ending. Since however, there are more than a dozen lodges which have dissolved over the decades and SFHS doesn't have those records, we have to assume that either the materials have been trashed or they're still in hiding.

Anyone who knows the whereabouts of this type of material, please contact me. SFHS is so pleased to pay the cost of shipping it.
Syrene

Karen Norwillo
15-02-05, 21:15
Syrene, I have been in touch with Wayne Christoff in MI regarding the status of Runeberg Lodge #10 in Escanaba. He said they are all but closed, only have 4 paid-up members and will probably disband. I told him about SFHS and asked if they would consider letting us archive their records if they do. He said he will pass my query to the proper person. Karen

k13
23-07-06, 05:54
I am interested in researching a Finnish Hall in Port Angeles, WA. It apparently no longer exists but there is still a "Finn Hall Road." I'm presuming it may have been a lodge of the Order of Runeberg, as Port Angeles, WA is listed under "Lodges" of the Order of Runeberg at this site:

http://www.genealogia.fi/emi/emi37e.htm#International

Would this be a dibanded lodge for which there are no records?

syrene
23-07-06, 18:12
The Escanaba lodge was one of the very first to be formed, and has hung on almost the longest. Its records would be of utmost importance, since they cover 100 years!

Please assure the person/s with whom you are in contact that all current records, that is names of those still living , are kept under wraps. They are sealed until a future date. That is to protect their privacy.

The records of those who have died are however made available.
Thanks for your thoughtfulness of the SFHS goals!
Syrene

syrene
23-07-06, 18:17
Dear K13,
Yes, there was a lodge in Port Angeles, formed rather late in comparison with groups who had settled by 1890 in the Iron Ranges for example. Port Angeles gathered enough people to feel they would be able to support a lodge about the time the plywood plant opened there (1950's). That brought in a lot of new families from other areas where there were lodges, so the routine was familiar to them.

SFHS has the yearbook published in 1968 from the Order of Runeberg lodge. Four volunteer office staffers will be at the FinnFest in Astoria (Wed and Thurs) and Naselle (Fri and Sat) to answer questions. Please visit us there. The SFHS exhibit includes 10 panels about Swedish Finns and their communities in Washington, and 2 about Astoria and Portland.

Or send SFHS an email, and one of the volunteers in the office will go to the book in the library and copy off material about Port Angeles, if you wish. A small donation to cover postage, etc is always appreciated.
Syrene

k13
23-07-06, 18:31
Thanks for your help, Syrene!

I am hoping to make a trip down to the Finnfest, so I will definately look them up!

budjohnson
18-05-09, 01:22
The Escanaba lodge was one of the very first to be formed, and has hung on almost the longest. Its records would be of utmost importance, since they cover 100 years!

Please assure the person/s with whom you are in contact that all current records, that is names of those still living , are kept under wraps. They are sealed until a future date. That is to protect their privacy.

The records of those who have died are however made available.
Thanks for your thoughtfulness of the SFHS goals!
Syrene

Did anyone ever find out the status of the records in Escanaba? I have a picture that is from before 1910 of a meeting in which my mother identified her father as well as other members his family. I am looking for information as far as exactly what year this picture was taken. I believe it is from around 1902, but not sure.

Bud

budjohnson
21-05-09, 15:40
Margaret,

Leading Star is published by the International Order of Runeberg and, since SFHS is the record keeper for Runeberg Order, I assume they have the records for disbanded lodges.

Karen,

According to Leading Star, Lodge #10 is in Escanaba. I don't have any data, but Syrene would know. Are you there, Syrene?

June

I believe this picture was taken in 1902 or 1903 in Escanaba.

Karen Norwillo
22-05-09, 15:28
I am going to try to contact Escanaba again. If they have disbanded, I will ask again that they let SFHS archive their records. It's been a few years since I tried last.

June Pelo
22-05-09, 17:18
Karen,

Dale Hjort is editor of Leading Star and is knowledgeable about the Lodges. You could try contacting him: Dale and Mary Lou Hjort <d.mlhjort*juno.com>

June Pelo
22-05-09, 17:21
Don't know why it left his address off. Here it is: d.mlhjort[at]juno.com

Karen Norwillo
22-05-09, 19:07
I had been in contact with Wayne Christoff in Escanaba. He is/was on the board of the Lodge so I thought he was the best contact. I'll see if he answers me. If not, I will try Dale.

Karen Norwillo
30-05-09, 14:52
Syrene,
I sent you a PM. Wayne will send all the records he has to SFHS. He wants a prepaid shipping label sent to him.
I guess persistance finally paid off.
Karen