PDA

View Full Version : Into Dolores Luczak

Dolores Luczak
06-02-05, 22:29
I am so happy if found this site, I live in Michigan U.P was born and raised in Trenary, moved to Marquette when I married in 1974( Eskelinen) and moved back to my home well not quiet home but to Kiva in 1997.

In the last few years I've been poking around looking for my Finnish Roots.

I espically would like to find infomation on my GGrandfather. He left Finland, and I believe he was from Lapland. His name was Walter Toivo Elomma, he moved to Minn. in the early 1910 or later. My grandmother never heard from him again.

I am also looking for my Salminen Roots I belive the lived in Tampere. Hilja Marie Salminen (Elomaa) My grandmoters name was Gertrude ,her brother Onnie Toivo. There my be a Lilliroos (Josaphine)a Grandmother.

I am also looking for information on my Savola Roots, I know my David or (Taavid) and Saara Savola from Lappajarvi.

and Antti and Liisa (Erickson) Savola( Halkenmaki) belive is farm name, where they were tennants, in Lappajarvil

I would appreciate any info.

Dolores Eskelinen Luczak

Jim Bailey
07-02-05, 16:50
Hi, Dolores ----

Welcome to Finlander. I found this list about Jan. 2003, and it (and the people on it) have been one of the delights in my life ever since. I've found hundreds of names in my family line because of the kindness and helpfulness of members.

As for your location, I recognize all the place names (Trenary, Kiva, and of course Marquette), as I was raised in Escanaba during the 1940s. One of my favorite places up there was the Tyrol-style motel on the south side of Marquette where I stayed for several days about 1981.

When I worked in a youth camp near Crystal Falls in summers 1958, 59, and 60, we used to go up to Lou Frisk's parents on Magnetic Street, stay over the weekend, and often would spend much of the night with a bonfire on the beach east of Harvey.

All the very best in your continuing family search.

kpaavola
07-02-05, 17:18
Originally posted by Jim Bailey
One of my favorite places up there was the Tyrol-style motel on the south side of Marquette where I stayed for several days about 1981.

Ah, yes, the Tiroler Hof! We lived not very far from there. As kids, we would often fish in the little river alongside the hotel and also at the mouth of it where it emptied into Lake Superior.

We frequented the same areas in Marquette. Our very good friends live on Magnetic Street. They also own a "camp" on the lake in the vicinity you mentioned: on Lakewood Lane. We had many bonfires and roasted marshmallows there.

Brings back memories. :)