PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Australia!

Shay
18-03-05, 01:24
Hello Everyone
My name is Shay and Im from Adelaide, Australia. Im researching my maternal family history in Finalnd. My great grandfather came to Western Australia in 1894. Family legend is that he jumped ship in Freemantle (West Australia) harbour and swam ashore. I have managed to trace back to my great great great grandfather Magnus Donsberg in 1820 in Karis, Finland.
I find family history time consuming but fascinating, and as I work fulltime I feel like I never have enough time to sit down and do it, as real life always intrudes! Some of the names in my Finnish family history include : Donsberg, (which I have seen listed in some records out of Finland as Dansberg), Nylund, Forsbom,Fagerlund,and then a lot of anglo names when my branch of the family came to Australia.
About me:
I am 38, married, with a 14 year old daughter, who thinks my genealogy research is totally boring. I also have a passion for quilting , and cross stitch. I have been doing family history for about 11 years, on and off.
Im so excited about being a part of this forum,as my Finnish history has been one of the harder branches to trace. My mother seems to think that we have no living Finnish relatives as she recalls information that may indicate the family died out in the early 1900's in Finland.
Anyway enough about me! I will post details of my family on the genealogical forum.

Kind regards,
Shay

Jim Bailey
19-03-05, 20:43
Hi, Shay ---

Welcome to the List. These are all wonderful people, and I think you'll benefit a lot in your genealogy work and also have a great time too.

My question: Do you know from what parts of Finland your ancestors came? I see you mentioned Karis. Any other places?

You mentioned Nylunds. I have quite q

Jim Bailey
19-03-05, 20:47
Sorry I must have hit the SEND button by mistake, and the earlier message was not complete.

Hi, Shay ---

Welcome to the List. These are all wonderful people, and I think you'll benefit a lot in your genealogy work and also have a great time too.

My question: Do you know from what parts of Finland your ancestors came? I see you mentioned Karis. Any other places?

You mentioned Nylunds. I have quite a few Nylunds in my family from Osterbotten in northern Finland. I also have Fagerlund, Sandstrom, and Winsten relatives from S.W. Finland, not too far from Karis.

All the best,

Shay
25-03-05, 03:10
Hello Jim,
My great x 3 grandmother was a Nylund, and was born in Snappertuna 27.7.1828. Thats all I know about her , dont know her parents names.
My Fagerlunds came into the family by marriage. Henrik Oskar Ewald Fagerlund (b.3.10.1875 in Kalmar Sweden)married Klara Irene Donsberg(who would be my great grand aunt) on 23.12.1900 She was born in Ekenas 23.1.1880.They had one child that I know of Oskar Irne Fagerlund b.11.8.1901 in Ekenas. My records indicate that Henrik moved into Ekenas from Helsingfors on 5.12.1900(maybe to get married).The family apparently moved to Pojo on 10.12.1902. A bit sketchy on the details Im afraid, but this line has been a tricky one to trace for lots of reasons and as I have mentioned previously Im fairly sure that most of the family died out over the years leaving very few (if any)descendants.

Kind regards,
Shay

flicka
02-04-05, 07:17
Hi Shay
Welcome to the site. Its great with great people helping as much as they can. I got involved few month back tracing my relatives. Started out a real rooky. But with the help of everyone who replied back to my many problems I managed to solve my genealogy on the Finnish side back to 1695. I read as much as I can on this site.
Oh don't let your family get you down on all this reseach. Mine did give me a bad time and now with what I've found and have documented on the tree chart their not laughing anymore. I think putting it on charts helps them understand the relationship everyone has to each other. Well good luck and hope to see your posting . Lori( Flicka)

tanyaoz
25-06-05, 03:18
Hello Shay

Thanks for your welcome on my post.

As your daughter is only 15 I hope that you do not become a grandmother too soon. I am becoming one in January for the first time but my daughter is 25 and married... time is right.

Welcome to the boards yourself. I live in Glandore Adelaide and maybe one day we can catch up for a coffee or similar.

Family research for me in Finland was undertaken be my cousin. Do you have any relatives in Finland? It helps as I do not know the language at all.

Keep safe and well

Tanya

Marian
23-09-06, 14:31
Hi Shay,

My name is Marian I am living in Stockholm Sweden. I am researching my maternal family history in Australia on my father side. My fathers onkel John Jakobsson and aunt Signe Jacobsson born in Finland but emmigrated with his mother to Sweden in the middle of 1800.

He came to Wiktoria 1896 with a ship named Salier who sailed from Bremen 1894 my fathers onkel was only 19 years old. We have a photo at home of him in his forties sitting outside his farm in Australia somewhere. The family in Sweden lost contact with him so I do not know anything about him. The only thing I know about his sister is that she died in childbirth she was married to an english, american, australier???

Can you give me any kind of information where to look in what kind of archive ??? or on the net for news about them?

I lived long time abroad and during that I also visited Australia but only shortly I liked it a lot.

Sunny greatings from stockholm

Originally posted by Shay
Hello Everyone
My name is Shay and Im from Adelaide, Australia. Im researching my maternal family history in Finalnd. My great grandfather came to Western Australia in 1894. Family legend is that he jumped ship in Freemantle (West Australia) harbour and swam ashore. I have managed to trace back to my great great great grandfather Magnus Donsberg in 1820 in Karis, Finland.
I find family history time consuming but fascinating, and as I work fulltime I feel like I never have enough time to sit down and do it, as real life always intrudes! Some of the names in my Finnish family history include : Donsberg, (which I have seen listed in some records out of Finland as Dansberg), Nylund, Forsbom,Fagerlund,and then a lot of anglo names when my branch of the family came to Australia.
About me:
I am 38, married, with a 14 year old daughter, who thinks my genealogy research is totally boring. I also have a passion for quilting , and cross stitch. I have been doing family history for about 11 years, on and off.
Im so excited about being a part of this forum,as my Finnish history has been one of the harder branches to trace. My mother seems to think that we have no living Finnish relatives as she recalls information that may indicate the family died out in the early 1900's in Finland.
Anyway enough about me! I will post details of my family on the genealogical forum.

Kind regards,
Shay

Kaj Granlund
23-12-06, 18:00
Welcome Shay
If you know that much I think there might be good possibilities for you to find out more about your family.
"the family died" could also mean that the contacts were broken to the closest family for some reason (they died or got old). Don't give up. At least the member "Christina" is living in that swedish speaking area in south west of Finland.

And as your daughter get older she will probably find your research very interesting cause it gave her some roots. She is still too young to understand.