PDA

View Full Version : Immigration 1885

Colleen
21-03-05, 03:43
I am wondering where I can look for immigration for the year 1885. The paper I have says that he came over from Finland in March of 1885, to the port of New York. There is nothing in the Ellis Island records for 1885.

Thanks for any help,
Colleen

granskare
21-03-05, 04:36
There was another place to receive immigrants in the lower end of Manhattan Island or Brooklyn, I don't recall which one. I just saw something very recently on PBS.

So Ellis Island won't show anybody who came over before 1892.
edit:
http://germanroots.home.att.net/ellisisland/
Castle Garden was the name. The above German immigrant website gives some data about the pre-EI immigration. They have the link -
How to Find New York Passenger Arrival Records 1820-1957 - which I would have tried for you but I had no name to insert so you give it a shot:)

Chuck

Sandy Witt
21-03-05, 04:42
Colleen,

There may be some information in Glazier's "Russians to America" database. If you give me more information (name, birth year, etc.), I will be glad to look this up.

Sandy Johnson Witt
Gainesville, Florida

Colleen
21-03-05, 07:39
Originally posted by granskare
There was another place to receive immigrants in the lower end of Manhattan Island or Brooklyn, I don't recall which one. I just saw something very recently on PBS.

So Ellis Island won't show anybody who came over before 1892.
edit:
http://germanroots.home.att.net/ellisisland/
Castle Garden was the name. The above German immigrant website gives some data about the pre-EI immigration. They have the link -
How to Find New York Passenger Arrival Records 1820-1957 - which I would have tried for you but I had no name to insert so you give it a shot:)

Chuck

Thank you Chuck. I will check the German immigrants page.
Colleen

Colleen
21-03-05, 07:45
Originally posted by Sandy Witt
Colleen,

There may be some information in Glazier's "Russians to America" database. If you give me more information (name, birth year, etc.), I will be glad to look this up.

Sandy Johnson Witt
Gainesville, Florida

Hi Sandy,
Thank you. His name is Esaias Johnson. But it might be under the name Hyyppa, Hyppa, Hyypa! He was born in 15 September 1866/67 and immigrated here in March of 1885. The court paper does say that he entered the US in New York.

Sorry about all the names! I was under the impression he changed his name after he got married in Minnesota, but I have court papers that say he was Esaias Johnson when he appeared in front of the Judge to become a Citizen.

Thanks,
Colleen

LoriAnn Pawlik
21-03-05, 15:28
Hi Colleen,
1855-1890 Castle Garden
1890-91 Barge Office
1892+ - Ellis Island

I searched the New York passenger records online for 1851-1891 for your name combinations & 1885 arrival. No luck. There are 34 guys by the name of Esaias during this time period. None born in 1866 or 1867. None going specifically to Minnesota. I also tried under Finland. These are the two closest. If you have any other hints, I'd be happy to check again. For example, is your paper date exactly when he arrived, or when he left Finland, or when he was naturalized? Is Esaias spelled differently?

Esaias Hajanfaa b. 1865, arrived Mar. 1891
Esaias Johanson, b. 1849, arrived 9 Oct. 1871

If you think these two might be possibilities, I can get a little more detail for you.

Have a great day,
Lori :)

Colleen
22-03-05, 03:20
Originally posted by LoriAnn Pawlik
Hi Colleen,
1855-1890 Castle Garden
1890-91 Barge Office
1892+ - Ellis Island

I searched the New York passenger records online for 1851-1891 for your name combinations & 1885 arrival. No luck. There are 34 guys by the name of Esaias during this time period. None born in 1866 or 1867. None going specifically to Minnesota. I also tried under Finland. These are the two closest. If you have any other hints, I'd be happy to check again. For example, is your paper date exactly when he arrived, or when he left Finland, or when he was naturalized? Is Esaias spelled differently?

Esaias Hajanfaa b. 1865, arrived Mar. 1891
Esaias Johanson, b. 1849, arrived 9 Oct. 1871

If you think these two might be possibilities, I can get a little more detail for you.

Have a great day,

Hi Lori,

Thanks for checking for me. But I don't think that either of them are the Esaias I am looking for. As for a different spelling, the court paper said Esias, but he signed it Esaias. It also is dated 1888, so he was here before 1891. The birthdate is far away on the second one. I would just love to say one of them is him, but I don't think so. He is a big mystery for me.

Thanks Lori!

Colleen:) :)

Colleen
22-03-05, 05:38
I did just find out that he came over here with Liisa Adolphina (Mattsdr.) Nikula. They were married in Minnesota in 1887. I am wondering if that will help at all!
Colleen

LoriAnn Pawlik
22-03-05, 14:23
Hi Colleen,
No problem. He is still a puzzle. I did a quick little ship's list search to see if perhaps they were onboard together - not too much luck. I'll look closer in a bit if you think that they were & that this is Liisa.

Name: Lisa Nikula
Arrival Date: 28 Aug 1886
Estimated Birth Year: 1865
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England and Queenstown, Ireland
Destination: New York
Place of Origin: Sweden
Ship Name: City of Chester
Port of Arrival: New York
Line: 33
Microfilm Roll: 498
List Number: 1032

From the manifest - Lisa is 21, a servant, departure Sweden, origin country Finland, destination NY

Have a great day,

Sandy Witt
22-03-05, 15:29
Colleen,

Unfortunately, I was not able to find anyone by the name of Esaias Johnson (or the name Esaias Hyyppa, Hyppa, Hyypa) in the Glazier "Russians to America" database. I also checked various spellings of Johnson (Johansson, Johansen, etc.) but found nothing in this particular database.

And thank you, Chuck, for sending the Castle Garden immigration website. I think that I might have had some ancestors who came through there.

Sandy

Colleen
25-03-05, 06:26
Originally posted by LoriAnn Pawlik
Hi Colleen,
No problem. He is still a puzzle. I did a quick little ship's list search to see if perhaps they were onboard together - not too much luck. I'll look closer in a bit if you think that they were & that this is Liisa.

Name: Lisa Nikula
Arrival Date: 28 Aug 1886
Estimated Birth Year: 1865
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England and Queenstown, Ireland
Destination: New York
Place of Origin: Sweden
Ship Name: City of Chester
Port of Arrival: New York
Line: 33
Microfilm Roll: 498
List Number: 1032

From the manifest - Lisa is 21, a servant, departure Sweden, origin country Finland, destination NY

Have a great day,

Hi Lori,
This is probably her, but I am not sure as her birthyear could possibly be 1866, but I got this date off a site. I haven't one single Lisa Nikula that came over. Maybe the paper from the court is wrong, it is not the naturalization paper. If you wouldn't mind could you check into this one for me?
I would greatly appreciate it!
Colleen

Colleen
25-03-05, 06:28
Originally posted by Sandy Witt
Colleen,

Unfortunately, I was not able to find anyone by the name of Esaias Johnson (or the name Esaias Hyyppa, Hyppa, Hyypa) in the Glazier "Russians to America" database. I also checked various spellings of Johnson (Johansson, Johansen, etc.) but found nothing in this particular database.

And thank you, Chuck, for sending the Castle Garden immigration website. I think that I might have had some ancestors who came through there.

Sandy

Hi Sandy,
Thank you for looking into this for me. As far as I know, his name might even be Esaias Hyyppa! Names seem to be changes so much when they immigrate!
Thanks!
Colleen

Colleen
30-06-09, 11:08
I have finally found this man! I thought it was going to be the brick wall along with the couple of other ones I had. Esaias was born Nikula. Lisa, who was searched and found for immigration, is his wife and second cousin once removed.

Colleen

Sandy Witt
30-06-09, 16:38
Colleen,

Did you find him on the Castle Garden site?

I have tried to open my "Russians to America" CD, but have not been successful because it requires a program that I evidently do not have on my new computer.

I have Family Tree Maker version 16, so should be able to open it (CTL file extension). Frustrating!

In any case, I am glad that you found him.

Sandy

Denise
30-06-09, 18:56
Hi,
Try this link for passenger records. http://aad.archives.gov/aad/series-list.jsp?cat=GP44 (It has Russians to America) I've used this and sometimes it gives you a clue on the name to search further on ancestry.com as the transcriptions are terrible on ancestry.

Best Regards,
Denise

Sandy Witt
30-06-09, 22:00
Denise,

Thank you for this helpful link to the NARA immigration records. I read that they had updated their database.

There is an article in the September 2009 issue of Family Tree Magazine about effective ways of using the new National Archives and Record Administration database.

It does not appear to be on their online site yet - http://familytreemagazine.com/ - but should be available soon.

Sandy

Denise
30-06-09, 23:08
Hi Sandy,
You're welcome. I always forget about the NARA site. Sometimes it proves to be very useful.

Regards,
Denise

P.S. Thanks for the link to Family Tree Magazine; didn't realize they were online.

Sandy Witt
01-07-09, 02:35
Denise,

I subscribe to Family Tree Magazine, so don't access it online often, but I believe that the online site has most of the articles that are in the magazine. I find it to be a helpful resource.

Sandy

Colleen
01-07-09, 08:58
Hi,
Try this link for passenger records. http://aad.archives.gov/aad/series-list.jsp?cat=GP44 (It has Russians to America) I've used this and sometimes it gives you a clue on the name to search further on ancestry.com as the transcriptions are terrible on ancestry.

Best Regards,
Denise

Hi Denise, thanks so much for this link!

Denise
01-07-09, 19:29
Hi Colleen,
You are very welcome!

Best Regards,
Denise