PDA

View Full Version : 1910 census

Kerstin
16-04-05, 10:29
Hello!

I woud be very greatful if somebody coud look for my grandfather in the 1910 census. His name was August Thölix and he was born 31 10 1886 in Tölby Korsholm. He emigrated to Amerika in 1902 to Bitumen Pennsylvania but his last adress in Amerika was Butte Montana in 1916

MVH Kerstin

Karen Norwillo
16-04-05, 20:17
Kerstin, I'm not sure if this is your August, but I found an Andrew A Tholix on both the 1920 and 1930 census in Eureka, Humboldt county, CA. He was a boarder/lodger in the home of Jonas Carlson on both census. In 1920, he was 35, single, to US in 1903, Finn, spoke Swedish, a woodsman. In 1930, he's 45, single, same year of emigration, a hook-feeder in a woods camp. Could this be him? Thought maybe his name was Anders August??

Kerstin
16-04-05, 20:24
Originally posted by Karen Norwillo
Kerstin, I'm not sure if this is your August, but I found an Andrew A Tholix on both the 1920 and 1930 census in Eureka, Humboldt county, CA. He was a boarder/lodger in the home of Jonas Carlson on both census. In 1920, he was 35, single, to US in 1903, Finn, spoke Swedish, a woodsman. In 1930, he's 45, single, same year of emigration, a hook-feeder in a woods camp. Could this be him? Thought maybe his name was Anders August??

No, that is not my grandfather. My grandfather went back to Finland in 1916 or 1917. But thanks enyway

jeanette
18-04-05, 09:40
Hi Kerstin,

The only Tholix I could find in 1910 was Edla age 33 in Pelham, Westchester County, NY. I wondered whether he may have used his patronymic instead of Tholix? Also at the beginning of PA were hundreds of unknown surname, unknown country of birth listings
Do you know the name of the person he was gong to stay with in Bitumen perhaps I could locate them?
Jeanette

kpaavola
21-04-05, 04:51
I agree with Jeanette. Could you provide the patronymic and maybe we can search using that? I did a Soundex search on the last name provided but nothing turned up. It's possible his name is illegible and that's why he's not showing up in the census. Or, he could have used his father's name as a surname as was common with many other immigrants. Searching just the Augusts or Gus(t) returns hundreds of records so it's not practical to search that way.

Let us know and we'll be happy to help! :)

jeanette
25-04-05, 03:56
Hi Kerstin,
I found Bitumen was in Clinton County but there were no listings for Bitumen on the 1910 index then I noticed Kevins posting mentioned Noyes so I did a search of the Finnish born there and I found not August Tholix but a woman. Could she be related?
Surname,GivenName,Age,Sex,Race,Birthplace,County,L ocality,T624-Roll,Part,Page,Subpage,State
TALIX,MARY,30,F,W,FINL,CLINTON,NOYES TWP,1332,1,282,B,PA

A search of Butte, Silver Bow County Montana found this possibility
WALTER,AUGUST,26,M,W,FIN,SILVER BOW,3-WDBUTTE,836,2,113, A,MT

Kevin or Karen could you look these up to see whether either could be helpful?

Jeanette

Kerstin
25-04-05, 11:59
Originally posted by kpaavola
I agree with Jeanette. Could you provide the patronymic and maybe we can search using that? I did a Soundex search on the last name provided but nothing turned up. It's possible his name is illegible and that's why he's not showing up in the census. Or, he could have used his father's name as a surname as was common with many other immigrants. Searching just the Augusts or Gus(t) returns hundreds of records so it's not practical to search that way.

Let us know and we'll be happy to help! :)

His patronymic was Zackrisson. When he emigrated in 1902 it is written in the passangerlist that he was going to his brother Johannes in Bethymen

MVH Kerstin

Kerstin
25-04-05, 12:26
Originally posted by jeanette
Hi Kerstin,
I found Bitumen was in Clinton County but there were no listings for Bitumen on the 1910 index then I noticed Kevins posting mentioned Noyes so I did a search of the Finnish born there and I found not August Tholix but a woman. Could she be related?
Surname,GivenName,Age,Sex,Race,Birthplace,County,L ocality,T624-Roll,Part,Page,Subpage,State

A search of Butte, Silver Bow County Montana found this possibility

Jeanette

Mary coud be his sister Maria. She shoud have been around 30 years old in 1910 and she emigrated to Bitumen in 1905.
MY grandfathers adress in Butte was 476 East Broadway if that can be of eny help.

MVH Kerstin
MVH Kerstin

kpaavola
25-04-05, 15:33

Here's the 1910 census image for Mary.

kpaavola
25-04-05, 15:34

Here's the 1910 census image for August Walter...kind of hard to read....

Karen Norwillo
25-04-05, 23:31
Kerstin,
I checked that address of 476 E. Broadway in Butte. It was a few pages before the page with August Walter. It was the home of Gust and Sophia Johnson and they had 12 roomers, all Finnish, none of them a Gus, Gust or August except the homeowner. Almost every home for the many pages I checked had roomers, but I didn't see yours. The quality of the pages is poor. Sorry.

Kerstin
26-04-05, 11:56
Originally posted by kpaavola
Here's the 1910 census image for August Walter...kind of hard to read....

Hello!
I don`t think that August Walter is my grandfather because I have never heard of the name Walter.

MVH Kerstin

Kerstin
26-04-05, 12:00
Originally posted by Kerstin
His patronymic was Zackrisson. When he emigrated in 1902 it is written in the passangerlist that he was going to his brother Johannes in Bethymen

MVH Kerstin

Wrong.... the passangerlist says that his brothers name was Johan

MVH Kerstin

Kerstin
26-04-05, 12:45
This is the Declaration of Intention for my grandfather
State of Montana County of Silver Bow. In the 2nd. Judicial District Court of State of Montana County of Silwer Bow

I August Tholix aged 29 years occupation miner, do declare on oath that my personal discription is : Color white, complexion fair, height 5 feet 9 inches, weight 160 pounds, colour of hair brown, colour of eyes blue, other visible distinctive marks none.
I was born in Mustasaari Finland on the 30th day of October anno Domini 1885. I now reside at 476 East Broadway Butte Montana.

I emigrated to the United States of America from Liverpool England on the vessel Rynland. My last foregin recidence was Mustasaari Finland. It is my bona fide intention to renounce forever all allegience and fidelity to eny foregin prince, potentate, state of sovereignty,and particulary to Nicolas II, Emperor of all the Russians. of whom Iam now a subject. I arrived at the port of Philadelphia in the state of Pennsylvania, on or about the 15th of January anno Domini 1903. I am not an anarchist. I am not a polygamist, nor a beliver in the practice of polygami, and it is my intention in good faith to become a citisen of the United States of America and to permanently reside therin. SO HELP ME GOD.
August Tholix
Subscribed and sworn to before me in the office of the Clerk of said Court 17 th day of June anno Domini 1915 ( the name is missing on the copy that I got)

And the passanger list says that it was on th 18th of January that the ship Rhynland arrived at Philadelphia.

MVH Kerstin

jeanette
01-05-05, 05:54
Hi Kerstin,

I had no luck with Zac/kris/son and variations but I found another
August age 26 in Butte.
BANTTI August 26 W Fin Silver Bow 3-WD Butte 836 2 102B MT
I also found
MICKE Telix 27 M W Fin Lewis & Clark School Dist 13 833 1 248 B MT
Could this be another Thölix?
FALIX Charles 23 M W Fin Carbon Scofield PCT 1603 1 57A UT

Hopefully these aren't just red herrings!

Jeanette

June Pelo
01-05-05, 18:50
After reading all the comments, I was reminded of my father who never could pronounce the "th" in words starting with "th" - they came out as "duh" for "the" or "tink" for "think". I tried to imagine how August Thölix would pronounce his name to a census taker - perhaps it sounded something like Toolik or Tulik?

My father's name was Anders Thure and it sounded like Anders Ture.

June

granskare
03-05-05, 20:37
I looked into the churches in Butte, MT and the closest one to Bitumen, PA and I did not find your ppl.

Because you did not mention a wife or children, I didn't look into baptismal or marital lists.

EDIT: I was at Swenson today looking thru the passenger register (scb) for 1851-1860 travel and found a guy named Anders Zackrisson accompanying a fellow with the surname I was checking. Of course this is not a relative here - the guy is from Sweden and traveling maybe 40 years or so before your guy from Finland.

Chuck