4 c. potatoes, peeled
4 sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
4 capers, chopped
8 black olives, chopped
juice and rind of half a lemon
1 (4 lb) boned fillet of whitefish, skin on
3 tbs butter
salt and pepper

Cook peeled potatoes in salt water until done. Remove and cut into cubes. Add tomatoes, capers, olives and lemon rind. Mix and crush with fork. Season with salt and lemon juice. Keep mixture warm.

Cut fish into portions. Season both sides with salt and pepper. Melt butter in pan. When it foams, add fish, skin side down. Fry at medium heat 2-3 min. Fish should be soft and just done inside. Put some of the mashed potatoes on middle of each plate with piece of fish next to it. Pour sauce over all.

June

sune
20-04-05, 10:05
Hans Vällimäki is also one of our most popular TV chefs, participating i different food programs.

And whitefish is one of the best fishes. Beats salmon and trout anytime.

Sune

June Pelo
20-04-05, 20:21
One of my uncles was a commercial fisherman on the Great Lakes. As a child I remembered hearing him talk about catching whitefish, which were readily available in Lake Huron at that time. The crew would slit the fish and clean it, then put sliced onions and bacon inside, wrap the fish in heavy brown paper and bake it on the steam pipe of the boat engine. At his home he baked it in the oven. I've eaten it prepared that way and it was delicious. His family still prepares whitefish this way. Whenever our family went to visit him, he would make sure he had a whitefish for us to take home and prepare.

In Ludington, MI along the harbor are fish houses where one can buy smoked whitefish - oh my, what a delicacy! I can taste it now. We always bought a lot of it to take home when we visited our relatives in Ludington.:)

June

Edle Nyborg
08-12-06, 14:06
What is white fish?
Edle

sune
08-12-06, 14:16
På svenska heter den sik. Kanske den har samma namn på norsk?

Sune

Edle Nyborg
08-12-06, 14:19
ja., den heter sik på Norsk. Takk skal du ha . Jeg skjønte ikke hvilken fisk det var.
Edle