PDA

View Full Version : Östberg, Mårtensson, Svensdotter

calicocat
30-05-05, 22:05
I've just recently found out that a ggg grandfather of mine came from Österbotten, Finland. His name was Johan Mårtensson Östberg, born 1707 in Österbotten. He married Karin Svensdotter born about 1707 who came from Brunflo, Östersunds parish, Jämtland, Sweden. I would like to be able to find out more information about him, his wife, his children and any other Östberg decendants to this line. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

granskare
31-05-05, 04:52
*Lapinjärvi - Lappträsk - moved (out)*
From To

Departure Arrival Village Farm
14.4.1732 10.4.1732 - -

Person Place
Drg. Johan Mårtensson Stockhom (?)

This information suggests that he perhaps adopted the Östberg surname in Sweden but that's just a guess on my part.

I think this is his birth parish so that narrows it down from Österbotten. Perhaps somebody with access to the Lappträsk parish can give us some more information. Hiski didn't give us christening data because it begins at 1804 at the moment.

Chuck:)

Hasse
31-05-05, 11:18
As a clarification - Lappträsk is in Nyland, ie. in the south of Finland - not in Österbotten, thus this Johan who moved from Lappträsk to presumably Stockholm probably isn't the one calicocat is looking for.

During the first decades of the 1700's many fled from Ostrobothnia over to the Swedish side of the Gulf. I would think the Johan in question could be a person belonging to a family that fled and escaped the russians and the Great Wrath. Just a guess...

One problem here is that many church records were destroyed during the Great Wrath along with the burning down of churches and many other buildings in Ostrobothnia.

Hasse

June Pelo
31-05-05, 17:50
In my database, I have Daniel Carlsson Östberg, b. 20 Jun 1724, Kelviå, d. 5 Oct 1788, Pedersöre, son of Carl Östberg, b. 1700, married 1723 to Maria Danielsdotter Tallqvist. Daniel married Maria Conradsdotter Jäger.

June

June Pelo
31-05-05, 17:58
I forgot to mention there are over 100 Östberg names in Talko database, some back in the 1700s - from Pedersöre, Kristinestad, Sideby, Kelviå, Vasa, Gamlakarleby, Petalax, Kvevlax, Pörtom, etc.

June

granskare
01-06-05, 01:05
I found Lappträsk a bit too far to the east and south even for somebody like that NY governor to stretch the border of Östrobotten to include Lappträsk so I must now withdrawn my Johan Mårtensson as candidate for the relative of calicocat.
You will see by the printscreen attached that the map does not deceive.

Sorry - I should have checked the town location before posting but hey, this guy really looked good :)

Chuck:(

calicocat
01-06-05, 02:24
I thought perhaps if I gave a little more information about the decendants of Johan Martensson Östberg b. 1707 in Finland that it might help anyone researching the family line. I originally received this information from a posting I made to Anbytarforum for Kall parish since that's where I've found my Östberg family to have lived. They told me that he probably feld from the great Nordic war. There seem to be so many Östbergs all over the place, it has been hard to trace my family line.

One of the sons to Johan Martensson Östberg and Karin Svensdotter was Marten Johansson Östberg b. 1740-03-13 in Rannon, Offerdal. One of the daughters that Marten had with Karin Bengtsdotter b. 1749-05-22 in Undersåker was Agnes Martensson Östberg b. 1774-07-18 in Kall. She married Jonas Jonasson Östberg b. 1772-05-31, whose parents were Jonas Kallström and Anna Olofsdotter. Jonas obviously took his wife Agnes' last name of Östberg, which makes things a bit more confusing!

One of the sons born in 1807-06-29 in Kall was Jakob Jonasson Östberg who married Maret Carlsdotter b. 1814-10-27 in Kall. One of their daughters, Katarina Jakobsdotter Östberg b. 1856-04-08 in Kall and was my great grandmother. She married Nils Jonsson b. 1854-02-20 in Undersåker. Their oldest son and my grandfather, Nils Jonsson b. 1877-11-27 in Undersåker emigrated to Canada in 1903. He married Selma Ottilia Sofia Larsson from Kalmar and they had 7 children born to them in Canada.

I have been trying to find information for my mother (84), and her 2 sisters (95) and (92), about their Swedish ancestors. It has been quite a challenge since I don't live in Sweden or have access to the records, nor can I read or speak the language. It has been with the kind help of the people who live there or have access to the records, that I have been able to slowly piece our family together. Whenever I receive some new information I phone my Mom and we are both so very excited!

Any further information that I receive is most gratefully appreciated.

Hasse
01-06-05, 09:09
Brunflo lies quite deep inland in Sweden, near the current city of Östersund. In 1718/19 the king's "karoliner" retreated from Tröndelag in Norway over the Åre/Duved mountain range during the awfully cold winter. Hundreds of soldiers died.

Could this Johan Mårtensson be one of the soldiers "left behind"? If so - is there any records of soldiers within Karl XII's retreating army that were from Österbotten? This of course if the year of birth 1707 could be a little "off".

calicocat
01-06-05, 17:10
I've been searching on your forum this morning and found a Johannes born 3.8.1707, christened 4.8.1707 in Raahe - Brahestad to parents Merthen Steenberg and Catharina Larsdotter Palm. Mårthen Jacobsson Stenbergh (different name spelling, but I believe to be the same person) and Catharina Larsdotter Palm were married in the village Gl. Carleby 10.1.1707. I don't know the areas of Ostrobothnia, but this I found in Northern Ostrobothnia. Perhaps this is the man I am searching for?

June Pelo
01-06-05, 19:11
In my database I have the following:

Jacob Mårtensson Stenberg, d. 29 Mar 1692, Gamlakarleby, married 26 Jun 1679 to Malin Olofsdotter Riska, b. 26 Dec 1659. They had 6 children born between 1680 and 1692. They had a son Mårten Jacobsson, b. 19 Jul 1682 in Gamlakarleby, but I have no other data for him.

June

calicocat
01-06-05, 21:04
Thanks June,

This looks like it could be in the correct family line, but too bad you don't have any data for Mårten Jacobsson to verify if he had a son by the name of Johan Mårtensson Östberg b. 1707, as was originally cited to me. If this was the case, would it have been possible for his son to have changed his name from Stenberg to Östberg?

I just checked Familysearch.org IGI and found a listing there for Malin Riska, b. 26 Dec 1659 in Kokkola, Vaasa, Finland. Her father is listed as Oloff Pahlsson Riska, but no wife is shown, and there were 12 children born between 1659-1691. Since I have no knowledge of the areas of Finland, would this fit for the Malin that you found, since the dates are an exact match?

calicocat

cdahlin
01-06-05, 22:37
The town "Gamlakarleby" is in finnish "Kokkola" so this thing matches very well. Vasa is another town south of Gamlakarleby and has for long time been the head town of the region in northern Ostrobotnia.

calicocat
02-06-05, 03:41
Thank you. Is there a good website with maps where I could explore all the various parishes of Finland to find out more about the different areas?

Now if only we could verify if this Mårten Jacobsson is definitely the father to Johan Mårtensson Östberg born 1707 that I am searching for.

calicocat

June Pelo
02-06-05, 18:40
Karleby parish had a city called Gamlakarleby, and the area outside the city is referred to as Karleby where the parish church is located. Kokkola is a Finnish name which is presently used instead of Gamlakarleby. But in the time period of your query, the city was called Gamlakarleby because it was predominantly Swedish-speaking. My relatives who live there still call it Gamlakarleby, regardless of what is shown on maps. Kokkola, Vasa, Finland meant the city of Gamlakarleby/Kokkola was located in the province of Vasa. At that time there was a city of Vasa as well as a province of Vasa. Those province designations have changed now and the regions have different names.

The Riska name is found in Kronoby, which is just a short hop to Gamlakarleby.

I don't have any records which would date back to the 1600/1700s to verify if Mårten Jakobsson had a son Johan Östberg.

June

June Pelo
02-06-05, 18:55
Calicocat asked about a map of parishes. There is one on the homepage of SFHS - not very detailed, but look here:
http://sfhs.eget.net/swedefinn.html

I have a book which has a map of the Swedish-speaking parishes, but no details are given as to farm/village names.

June

calicocat
03-06-05, 01:11
Hello June,

Thanks for explaining the area in more detail. I will check the map link and see if I can find the places there.

calicocat

June Pelo
03-06-05, 17:31
I've sent a map site to calicocat via private message.

June

christina
03-06-05, 21:42
Mapsite of Finland:
http://kartta.nls.fi/karttapaikka/eng/home.html

Christina

christina
03-06-05, 21:45
A mapsite of Finland
http://kartta.nls.fi/karttapaikka/eng/home.html

Christina

calicocat
04-06-05, 02:17
Thanks for the maps. They help me understand the area a little better.

June had mentioned that there were many people with the last name of Östberg in the Talko database, but it seems that I can't access it since I don't have a gedcom ready to input. Is there anyone who could see if there were any Östberg's from the family I'm looking for from the late 1600's to early 1700's? I'm assuming that Johan Martensson Östberg born about 1707 would have been given that last name at birth? Perhaps it could identify his parents and perhaps the time he came to Sweden.

calicocat