PDA

View Full Version : I'm an Aussie

tanyaoz
15-06-05, 14:13
I was happily looking for information about my Finnish family and came across this site and my cousin Gwenda, her grandfather is my great-grandfather... you all can do the maths. My earliest Sundberg reference is Matths Sundberg b 1775 married Maria Er [no dates but they would help] I have fairly sketchy references to his children except for my direct line supplied by H. Sundberg. I plan to put together a comprehensive list of my relatives [thousands now and not just Sundbergs] for my 3 children for Christmas 2005, [maybe ongoing into the next decade!]

I am 44 years old and live alone in Adelaide South Australia. I write and paint [oils, watercolours] and sketch [pencils and pastels]. I work as a trainer from time to time and my passions are art, languages, travel, literature and history [also laughing and loving which I do well]

I am soon to be a grandmother and the family grows on.

I am excited and interested to be a member of this site and I feel very welcome already. Tak

Gwenda
15-06-05, 18:33
Hi Tanya

And welcome to Finlander. I got rather a surprise when I read your "private message". Small world, as they say. I have replied as a private message, but that was before I read your "I'm an Aussie" message. I now see you are in Adelaide and not KI, but hopefully we will still meet up in October.

Oooroo

:D :cool: ;)

Shay
17-06-05, 16:55
Hi Tanya!
Im so pleased to see another Adelaide-ian on these boards! m also from Adelaide , in the north east suburbs. Im almost 39, and have one child( and I better not be a grandmother anytime soon!) I live with my husband and our dog and cat near the foothills.
Finnish history seems to not be an area that many in Adelaide trace , so Im very pleased to meet you (although I used to live in the South East of the state and Finns are much better represented there in places like Mount Gambier and Kalangadoo where there was the forestry industry.)
Welcome to the boards. I have found people here to be really helpful and friendly. Im still hoping to meet some relatives here, but have found lots of really helpful advice already!
Kindest regards,
Shay

Marian
23-09-06, 14:51
Hi Tanyaox,

My name is Marian I live in Sweden my oldest daughter is in your age so I am somewhat older than you!!!

I am looking for information about my family tree in Australia. I am born in Helsinki but came as a child to Sweden. My fathers grandmother emmigrated to Sweden from Finland in the middle of 1800 and my grandmother and her 3 siblings where brought up in Sweden. I am looking for John Jacobsson (my fathers onkel) who emmigrated to australia 1894 with a ship from Bremen named Salier he arrived (I beleive) in Wiktoria. He was 19 years old we have photo of him in front of a farm in Australia. One year after his sister followed the only thing I know about her is that she was a very brave girl who lived on a farm married a Aussie or english or american man and she died in childbirth the father to care of child I would like to know more about them.

Do you know any kind of register finnish/swedish club or register over farms that I could find over internet? I am also very interested in book about immigrants in Australia??

And I love painting, photo art travel handicraft suchs as weaving.

Sunny greatings from a sunny Stockholm

Siv Marian Jäger Janson

Originally posted by tanyaoz
I was happily looking for information about my Finnish family and came across this site and my cousin Gwenda, her grandfather is my great-grandfather... you all can do the maths. My earliest Sundberg reference is Matths Sundberg b 1775 married Maria Er [no dates but they would help] I have fairly sketchy references to his children except for my direct line supplied by H. Sundberg. I plan to put together a comprehensive list of my relatives [thousands now and not just Sundbergs] for my 3 children for Christmas 2005, [maybe ongoing into the next decade!]

I am 44 years old and live alone in Adelaide South Australia. I write and paint [oils, watercolours] and sketch [pencils and pastels]. I work as a trainer from time to time and my passions are art, languages, travel, literature and history [also laughing and loving which I do well]

I am soon to be a grandmother and the family grows on.

I am excited and interested to be a member of this site and I feel very welcome already. Tak

Gwenda
23-09-06, 15:44
Hello Marian

Welcome to Finlander. Good to read your postings. Regarding your Australian (Victoria) connections, you might like to try some of the AUS-VIC mailing lists on Rootsweb. I have always found a lot of help from these, for both South Australia and Victoria. You can find these at http://lists.rootsweb.com

Then click on "International", then "Australia", then scroll down to the AUS-VIC ones. There's quite a few of them for different areas of Victoria, but also some general ones. You can subscribe and unsubscribe (its free) as often as you like. You can also browse the Archives without subscribing.

Hope this helps. I'll see what I can find out about any Swedish or Finnish societies in Australia for you. I did have a list once but don't know what I did with it.

All the best

Marian
23-09-06, 16:30
[

Hello Gwenda,

Istn´t that a beautiful world than we can so easy reach out and help each other via Internet?

Thank you, I will try to use the mailing list I am just a beginner in this searching game, so I am very grateful for all useful help.

Have a nice day where ever you are

Marian
QUOTE]Originally posted by Gwenda
Hello Marian

Welcome to Finlander. Good to read your postings. Regarding your Australian (Victoria) connections, you might like to try some of the AUS-VIC mailing lists on Rootsweb. I have always found a lot of help from these, for both South Australia and Victoria. You can find these at http://lists.rootsweb.com

Then click on "International", then "Australia", then scroll down to the AUS-VIC ones. There's quite a few of them for different areas of Victoria, but also some general ones. You can subscribe and unsubscribe (its free) as often as you like. You can also browse the Archives without subscribing.

Hope this helps. I'll see what I can find out about any Swedish or Finnish societies in Australia for you. I did have a list once but don't know what I did with it.

All the best [/QUOTE]

Gwenda
23-09-06, 17:09
I'm an Aussie too, but live in England now and have done for nearly 29 years - still very much Australian though and go back as often as I can.

If you have any problems with subscribing to the mailing lists, let me know and also let me know as much info. as you can about your Jacobbson ancestor, and I can subscribe for you and send any info. I get.

Bye for now

tanyaoz
09-10-06, 07:56
Hi Marian and Gewnda,

Marian, Gwenda is my 1.5 cousin X2 as her mother and my grandmother married brothers. Both of these women were of Finnish descent through their father Matts. After that brief genealogy lesson I will see what I can suggest other than Gwenda's response that might be helpful.

Firstly I suggest that you do a shipping arrivals search for Victoria Australia, [the Australia is important as there is also a Victoria in Canada]. I found google Australia, the most reliable search engine.

I would also suggest the National Archives in Australia which may give you information regarding Naturalisation which is what our citizenship used to be called.

I also have found a large amount of my information on the LDS Family Research site, www.lds.org

I have some web addresses from my own searching and could give you those through my private email of tanya1961*iprimus.com.au if you would like to contact me at that address.

I am sorry that I have been slow to respond but I am in the middle of a court case [not the lawyer though], enrolling in university and just the business of life in general. Please accept my apology.

All the best to you both as I am sure that Gwenda will be reading this too. I have found so much information on my large family [and Gwenda's through the help of strangers and cousins that I did not know
we had] and I wish you all the best wishes in your search.

Best regards,

Tanya