PDA

View Full Version : "Den Oster.. Byn" & June?

LoriAnn Pawlik
15-06-05, 16:09
Hi,
I just read the following that June Pelo translated & can't help but to think that these people could possibly be related to my ancestors. My Great-Grandfather came from that area and although his mother is Greta Lovisa Eriksdotter Finne, there is no named fathers for her 3 children - one of whom is her son Jakob. Jakob married Hanna & one of their sons was Karl. Jakob and at least one son were woodsmen/ lumbermen and the last name (in the US) is Dahlvik. I've seen it on some other records as Dalsvik. Am I really stretching here? Or is Dalvik a very common name?
I'd appreciate any thoughts...
Have a great day,
Lori Pawlik :)

From “Den Österbottniska Byn” by Joel Granvik

Translated to English by June Pelo

"KORTJÄRVI

There were also strong women in the village at the turn of the century. One of them was Låta-Hanna (Hanna Dalvik). Although small in size, she could handle a rye sack of 60-70 kg as easy as other women handled a feather bed. One time she fell into a deep well and hurt herself badly on the stone enclosure. The farm people gathered around and wondered how to get her out of the well. But while they thought, Hanna climbed up and calmly began to wash the blood from her face. She was from a strong family. Her brother Karl Dalvik, the Older, was a champion marksman and woodsman. At 75 years of age he still crossed miles of woods and wilderness and shot his gun expertly without the use of glasses. "

June Pelo
15-06-05, 21:38
Lori,

Dahlvik probably wasn't an unusual name. I have many Dahlvik names in my database - mostly from Terjärv, but also some from Pedersöre and Nedervetil.

You brought up a question about why the church recorded illegitimate births - it was their responsibility to record all births, deaths and marriages, plus communion attendance, confirmation, etc. for each parishioner. In old church records you'll find many illegitimate births recorded in nearly every parish - it wasn't unusual for a woman to have more than one illegitimate child. I have knowledge of some women having as many as 5 such children, without marrying the father(s). I think this was discussed on Finlander previously.

June

LoriAnn Pawlik
15-06-05, 23:37
Hi June,
I wondered if the Church was responsible for keeping the vital records for their parish - that explains a LOT! I do remember the discussion about being married, but didn't quite connect how the children would be recorded w/o the Father. Thanks for answering!
Have a great day,
Lori Pawlik :)

June Pelo
21-09-06, 22:34
Hi Lori,

I just had an e-mail today from George Sundquist, member of SFHS, who said that he was in Finland this summer and learned that you are one of his relatives - and he didn't know it. Have you been in touch with George? I don't think he is a member of Finlander Forum. If you want to contact him, let me know and I can send his e-mail address.

June