PDA

View Full Version : Swedish meatballs - Vasa region?

LoriAnn Pawlik
22-06-05, 20:12
Hello,
Does anyone have a Swedish meatball recipe reminiscent of the Munsala region? Any other really popular (or everyday) dishes from here? It means a lot!
Thanks,
Lori Pawlik :)

June Pelo
23-06-05, 01:14
Lori,

There are many ways to make them, and each Scandinavian country had their own recipes. If no one sends you a recipe, I have a bunch I can send you.

June

lasare2
31-12-05, 20:49
ANYBODY........

NEVER MIND THE RECIPE

SEND THE MEATBALLS111111111111

Karen Douglas
31-12-05, 21:51
I made Finnish meatballs for our traditional Scandinavian Smorgasbord on Christmas.

Mama was Finnish, born in Mustasaari; Dad was a Swede-Finn raised in Korsholm

Using Mama's recipe, I make them with ground chuck, an egg, a little bit of milk, onions and saltine crackers ground fine.

But, a wee bit of ALLSPICE will add just the right touch! :D

Karen

blbartlett
02-01-06, 00:10
3/4 cup soft bread crumbs
1 cup light cream, divided
1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
1 onion, minced
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
2 Tbs. butter for frying
2 Tbs. flour
11/2 cups milk

Soak crumbs in 1/2 cup of the cream/ Blend in the beef, onion, salt and allspice. Shape into balls about 1 inch in diameter. Melt butter in skillet and brown the meatballs a few at a time. Shake pan to roll roll meatballs around so they are browned evenly. Remove meatballs from pan. Add flour to drippings, stir and brown over medium heat. Slowly add the second 1/2 cup of cream and the milk, stirring constantly. Add water as necessary to thin the gravy. Strain if necessary. Return meatballs to pan, cover and simmer 25 minutes over low heat.

From booklet "Fine Finnish Foods" published in 1988 as part of the NAtional Year of Friendship With Finland.